Is the Wii U going to get a price drop sometime this year?

#1SolnotPosted 3/9/2013 8:55:33 PM
Hopefully around the time the Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4 launch.
#2SocranPosted 3/9/2013 8:59:09 PM
Possibly, but not too likely. A lot of people aren't buying it now because they're waiting for "the inevitable price drop like the 3DS got". If Nintendo did it twice in a row, how do you think their next console/handheld would sell? Not a single person would buy it until a year later, because they just know it's getting a price drop.

Depending on how things go towards the end of the year, though, they may be forced to, we'll see. It would only hurt them in the long run, though.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#3game freakozoidPosted 3/9/2013 9:05:51 PM
^^^ Problem with that is all technology and hardware gets a pricedrop at some point. So them giving it a price drop wouldn't actually change anything.

The WiiU is almost guaranteed to get a price drop later in the year with the other next gen consoles releasing. It needs something to be competitive.
#4SocranPosted 3/9/2013 9:09:54 PM
game freakozoid posted...
^^^ Problem with that is all technology and hardware gets a pricedrop at some point. So them giving it a price drop wouldn't actually change anything.

Yeah, but what matters is when the price drops. The 3DS was the quickest price drop in recent memory, quick enough that people who don't have a system could think, "Eh, I'll wait." Most systems don't drop until at least two years down the line, which is too long for most people to wait unless the inital price was US$599.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#5game freakozoidPosted 3/10/2013 7:43:04 AM
Socran posted...

Yeah, but what matters is when the price drops. The 3DS was the quickest price drop in recent memory, quick enough that people who don't have a system could think, "Eh, I'll wait." Most systems don't drop until at least two years down the line, which is too long for most people to wait unless the inital price was US$599.

But we just don't see that happen. It's nice in theory but it just isn't what happens. The 3DS was successful because of its pricedrop. Your argument is dependent on people not knowing if a price drop will happen and on the thought that people are for some reason extremely impatient and must have the price drop now. However, we know that people know that systems, just like everything, eventually reduce in price. And we know that people buy systems throughout their lifespans so neither of those two things are true.
#6HungoverHero777Posted 3/10/2013 7:54:42 AM
Socran posted...

But we just don't see that happen. It's nice in theory but it just isn't what happens. The 3DS was successful because of its pricedrop.

Oh yeah, a sudden increase in games totally had nothing to do with it.
---
The best gaming group on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/RoosterTeeth/videos?view=0
Anyone with a Wii U or PC, BUY RUNNER 2!
#7thundercat2600Posted 3/10/2013 8:03:05 AM
Socran posted...
Possibly, but not too likely. A lot of people aren't buying it now because they're waiting for "the inevitable price drop like the 3DS got". If Nintendo did it twice in a row, how do you think their next console/handheld would sell? Not a single person would buy it until a year later, because they just know it's getting a price drop.

Depending on how things go towards the end of the year, though, they may be forced to, we'll see. It would only hurt them in the long run, though.

1. If there are people holding out for a price drop and Nintendo refuses, do you really think they'll say "Aw shucks, I'll just buy one for $350"? No, they'll probably say "I'll just get a Playstation 4 instead".

2. I can't count how many times on this board I've seen Nintendo apologists say "3DS had a bad start as well but look how it's doing now!!"

Bottom line, I'd be shocked if we don't see a price drop this year. Wii U is already selling abysmally. Just imagine how bad it'll be when they actually have competition.
---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink
#8game freakozoidPosted 3/10/2013 8:21:36 AM
HungoverHero777 posted...
Socran posted...

But we just don't see that happen. It's nice in theory but it just isn't what happens. The 3DS was successful because of its pricedrop.

Oh yeah, a sudden increase in games totally had nothing to do with it.

3DS had some good games before it but still didn't sell much. You are fooling yourself if you think that anything other than the price drop was responsible for the boost in sales. It is the same as it always is, a price drop boosts sales more than anything else. When Ma and Pop are shopping for a handheld for their kid, the big deciding factor is going to be the price. An increase in games will help, but not nearly on the same level as a price drop. History has shown that.
#9Skill4ReelPosted 3/10/2013 8:24:59 AM
It really all depends on how closely Microsoft and Sonys' new consoles prices match up against the Wii U. If they are more expensive by $100 to $150, then I wouldn't expect Nintendo to change anything.

If both are in the $350 to $400 dollar range (which is highly unlikely), I'd expect Nintendo to slash $50 off of the Premium Wii U price.
#10jakestar0306Posted 3/10/2013 8:26:41 AM
Lemme just get in my time machine and check...
---
Mega Man Powered Up is the best PSP exclusive and you know it.