Metroid?

#21The_BonesPosted 3/10/2013 2:38:26 PM
wiiking96 posted...
The_Bones posted...
wiiking96 posted...
The_Bones posted...
wiiking96 posted...
For 3D Metroid, the first Prime is a good place to start.

For 2D Metroid, Zero Mission or Super Metroid would be a good place to start. Be warned that while Zero Mission takes place chronologically before Super Metroid, ZM has far better physics and controls, so starting with the comparatively clunky Super Metroid may lessen potential disappointment of it that you may have if you were to play it after ZM.

There is nothing wrong with Super Metroid's controls or physics.

I've played both, and I can honestly say that both Fusion and Zero Mission control better and generally feel better to play than Super. This may not be the case for everyone, but a guy on the Other M board, Big_Isaac, can't stand playing Super because of how he got used to Fusion.

I prefer Super Metroid's controls over Fusion's and its one of the reasons why I go back and replay Super over Fusion and Zero Mission. To me it just feels like you have much better control over your jump in Super compared to Fusion and Zero Mission.

I would say you feel that way due to how comparatively floaty it is. The floaty nature makes combat less tight and fast paced, a weakness of Super Metroid.

Maybe so but I wouldn't call it a weakness as combat in Super Metroid is still satisfying as all heck. Rather than calling a weakness I would just say its a bit different.
#22X_Roxas_XPosted 3/10/2013 3:24:53 PM
mjc0961 posted...
Socran posted...
At any rate, the Prime games are really completely unlike what you usually expect out of shooters.

This is true. For example, you usually expect good controls from shooters. Controls that allow you to freely move and aim at the same time. Prime doesn't do that, it wastes the c-stick on changing weapons and makes you nail yourself to the floor if you want to aim at an enemy flying above you (and there are quite a few in the game). Once you have finally aimed at the enemy, you can lock on and then be free to move around again, but you're still needlessly vulnerable for quite a few seconds.

All of which was completely fixed in Metroid Prime Trilogy.
---
Nintendo Network ID: Waaarg | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7742-1758
#23Ghost-inZeShellPosted 3/10/2013 3:31:05 PM
stridermeis posted...
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
Emeraldrox posted...
If a GameStop near me actually carried it. No results for my area at all.

You could always buy a gift card at the store and use it to buy online from the site.
They usually have free shipping on orders over $50. (but check anyways to make sure)

It clearly says not available online in the link you provided.

Oh dear, I'm sorry.
I don't know how I missed that.
#24Xenesis XenonPosted 3/10/2013 3:42:10 PM
I prefer the Fusion controls, mainly for how it handles angular aiming and missiles.. but the Super Metroid controls are still really solid. If floaty.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#25MARl0Posted 3/10/2013 3:45:23 PM
I vastly prefer Super Metroid's controls/physics and combat over both Fusion and Zero Mission. It's definitely one of the game's biggest strengths. Certainly not a weakness.
---
Currently playing: Project Diva F (PS3) / Castlevania LoS: Mirror of Fate (3DS)
#26SoaringDivePosted 3/10/2013 3:47:24 PM
Zero Mission has the best controls and physics of them all. Super Metroid can be really clunky at first, and frustrating trying to wall jump up a single wall.

Metroid Fusion though, the wall jump is just... Bad.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#27BeastLeeAdamsPosted 3/10/2013 4:06:29 PM
wiiking96 posted...
BeastLeeAdams posted...
Metroid Prime is top notch and almost seems like a different party besides Nintendo. It has a great atmosphere and pretty good graphics. The only thing buggy about it is the controls.

What's wrong with the controls?

Well going to back to playing it this summer after like 4 years of playing modern FPS's, I am used to using the right analog stick to look around.
---
I think everyone in the gaming world weather you are a Nintendrone, Sony Pony, Xbot or part of the Master Race can agree that Pachter should be fired.
#28wiiking96Posted 3/10/2013 4:09:51 PM
SoaringDive posted...
Zero Mission has the best controls and physics of them all. Super Metroid can be really clunky at first, and frustrating trying to wall jump up a single wall.

Metroid Fusion though, the wall jump is just... Bad.

Yeah.

Zero Mission has the best of both worlds. I can even horizontally bomb jump without too much trouble because of how quickly bombs detonate.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#29Bancario51Posted 3/10/2013 4:10:15 PM
steroid?
---
What is the meaning of life? A: Nanomachines, son
If you agree to be my wangdingo, quote my level and karma~
#30Ghost-inZeShellPosted 3/11/2013 5:19:10 PM
Xenesis Xenon posted...
I prefer the Fusion controls, mainly for how it handles angular aiming and missiles.. but the Super Metroid controls are still really solid. If floaty.

Fusion was actually my first Metroid game. Intro'd me to the series.
I love it. I don't know if it's that good, or just nostalgia.