How important are graphics/HD/etc. relative to the quality of gameplay?

#1Sharky8Posted 3/10/2013 9:18:54 AM(edited)
How important are graphics/HD/etc. relative to the quality of gameplay? - Results (168 votes)
Graphics 9 Gameplay 1
4.76% (8 votes)
Graphics 8 Gameplay 2
0% (0 votes)
Graphics 7 Gameplay 3
1.19% (2 votes)
Graphics 6 Gameplay 4
2.38% (4 votes)
Graphics 5 Gameplay 5
19.05% (32 votes)
Graphics 4 Gameplay 6
10.71% (18 votes)
Graphics 3 Gameplay 7
34.52% (58 votes)
Graphics 2 Gameplay 8
11.31% (19 votes)
Graphics 1 Gameplay 9
16.07% (27 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I want you think about it this way.

On a scale of one to ten, with points being assigned to graphics/HD resolution/etc. and points being assigned to quality of gameplay, how important is each?

For example:

Graphics 9 Gameplay 1
Graphics 8 Gameplay 2

Gameplay 9 Graphics 1

etc.

There are no absolute values of 10/0 or 0/10 because a minimum level of graphics is necessary, so is a minimum value of gameplay.

This is an important discussion to have about the Wii U, because Nintendo generally has inferior graphics to the competition, but arguably always has better gameplay.
#2shaunmePosted 3/10/2013 9:18:28 AM
Performance is relevant to gameplay not graphics.
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb ram // 3x MSI GTX 680 sli // 1tb HD//W8pro//NNID shaunme1//PSN poselecta//XBL CursiveA//STEAM shaunmelwell//
#3Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 9:27:18 AM
I've voted a 3 graphics, 7 gameplay, with the thinking that that level of graphics is representative of later generation NES games and most early SNES games. Kirby's Adventure/Super Mario World have graphics that are beautiful, simple, and adequate. With that minimum level of graphics, they achieved a great gaming experience.
#4nintenden24Posted 3/10/2013 9:33:06 AM
This implies that to have good graphics you must have bad gameplay, and vice versa.
#5Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 9:37:22 AM
nintenden24 posted...
This implies that to have good graphics you must have bad gameplay, and vice versa.

Sony and Microsoft sure do show that.
#6abigexplosionPosted 3/10/2013 9:39:19 AM
Pretty graphics are nice, but time can wear down the appeal when better looking games come around. Gameplay is more important, as it ages better. The importance of gameplay is much more obvious when you look at developers that usually have limited budgets.

Good example is DBZ games, where trading one for the other is more obvious. DBZ UT looks nice, but you can barely play it. BT2 or 3 don't look as good, but still play very well to this day.
---
Not changing this signature until a new F-Zero is announced. *started 6/18/10*
F-Zero > Mario Kart. If you disagree, it's because you're bad at F-Zero.
#7Chaos_KreaturePosted 3/10/2013 9:41:42 AM
S***, read it wrong. Now I've voted Graphics 7 gameplay 3. I look like a troll...SMH....
---
MHT: Zyzax MH3U: Hopefully the same, if not for some reason, TriforceKnight(also my NN id)
#8Godstriker8Posted 3/10/2013 9:44:18 AM
Sharky8 posted...
nintenden24 posted...

I really don't understand why everything you say is so wrong.
---
I'm just dickin aroouunnnd
SHAKE AND BAKE!
#9LifelessBoyPosted 3/10/2013 9:49:14 AM
I think you misunderstand why developers need powerful machines. It's not necessarily about looking pretty but about AI, engine limitations, physics, number of NPC's on screen, map size, loading times, animations, etc.

The WiiU will provide very little advancements in those areas with it's limited hardware. And those things affect the quality of gameplay in a big way. You wouldn't know that with your Nintendo blindfold though.

Good developers use power to advance gameplay.

Example: The WiiU probably can't handle a 64 player match in a next-gen Battlefield game. The other pair of next-gen consoles probably will.

Another Example: The WiiU wouldn't be able to run the processes and map size of a game like DayZ. Other consoles with better specs (and PC's, of course) will be able to.
---
http://bf3stats.com/stats_360/YFAL%20Putipuelko
Don't flame me bro. GT: YFAL Putipuelko - PSN: LifelessLoser - Steam ID: YFAL_Putipuelko - DayZ: Daniel
#10TrueBlue91Posted 3/10/2013 9:51:41 AM
Godstriker8 posted...
Sharky8 posted...
nintenden24 posted...

I really don't understand why everything you say is so wrong.

Don't even bother trying to understand fanboy logic.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me