How important are graphics/HD/etc. relative to the quality of gameplay?

#31ElGadoPosted 3/10/2013 9:56:16 PM
This poll is just wrong. Both should be maxed out. It's 2013, there really is no excuse to have things running on outdated graphics.
#3240DribylfPosted 3/11/2013 2:33:35 PM
I still play game from 25 years ago and enjoy them. Gameplay over graphics any day.

I never understood this argument.

Games that are older are obviously limited by the technology of the time. For example, Ocarina of Time, that game looked drop dead gorgeous back in 1998. Of course, it doesn't now, but that's not the point.

You go into an older game with the expectation that it's going to be dated, limited by the tech at the time. Super Metroid blows my mind graphically, because it astounds me that it's done on an SNES. Of course, some game haven't aged gracefully, like the PS1 Final Fantasy games and Perfect Dark. Those games make me ill and I can't get far in them, no matter how fun they are.

But there is no-****ing-way I would be satisfied with a game that came out in 2013 on the PS4, looking like Super Mario 64. No ****ing way.

Plus, more processing power doesn't just add eye-candy.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#33StephenYap3Posted 3/11/2013 7:26:01 PM
Graphics 1, Gameplay 9 for me. I don't care much for graphics at all, even though I see some top-quality ones.
---
Awaiting for Paper Mario, Final Fantasy (Classic style), Kirby, Donkey Kong, and Mario Sports Mix successor on Wii U...
#34Xenesis XenonPosted 3/11/2013 7:30:39 PM
Graphics are the Dessert to a Gameplay Main Meal.

It doesn't matter if the dessert is amazing if your meal is awful. And a bad dessert can ruin a good meal, but they do complement each other. Moreso the graphic design than the graphic fidelity, though.
---
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled AW community on the web.
#35DesperateMonkeyPosted 3/11/2013 7:57:07 PM
Sorry but anyone who answered gameplay is kidding themselves. Gameplay is reliant on graphics. In fact, a satisfying animation vs a dull animation is all that often separates good and bad gameplay (see: all jRPGs, fighting games, etc).

There are very few genres where graphics isn't important and those are usually in the realm of 2D or indie titles.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#36Ruca1122Posted 3/11/2013 8:24:58 PM
not important people who thinks graphics are very important then anything else is a noob
#37ADHDguitarPosted 3/11/2013 8:30:12 PM
Graphics and gameplay are not even the only two things in a game.

There's gameplay and aesthetic.

Both are important. Raw graphical performance is a mere fraction of aesthetic, which also includes sound, style and the UI.

And that's ignoring story.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#38ultimatedorkboyPosted 3/12/2013 3:23:37 PM
I voted for "Graphic 2, Gameplay 8"

I like games that have nice graphics but I obviously wouldn't want to play a game that has "gorgeous graphics, but subpar gameplay." Thus, "gameplay is king."
---
I love my Vita :)
http://tinyurl.com/9wrdhuj