question about hooking my wii u to my surround system

#11MikeBearmanPosted 3/10/2013 9:18:29 PM(edited)
If your TV has an separate audio output, what ever you have plugged into the TV should play through the receiver's TV/AV setting or it might be called something else depends on the receiver as long as it's setup properly, that's how I used to have some things setup on my old setup, you'll get sound but not true surround sound.
#12rawxfoxdog(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 9:27:23 PM
I don't think it has output by itself. I've had to set up like hdmi as video then my av cables trying to get soumd but the wii u don't support that. What new surround system would someone like to recommend?
---
Frostbite-poptarts--- think about it
#13rawxfoxdog(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 9:38:10 PM
Wii U still plugged directly into TV via HDMI

- Set Wii U to Surround Sound in its audio options

- Used RCA red and white cables from receiver audio red and white outputs into TV variable (red and white inputs)

- Turned TV Speakers off, switched to external audio input and selected FIXED instead of variable---- found this after looking on here, ill try this plus I ordered a optical cable, maybe one of these will work
---
Frostbite-poptarts--- think about it
#14rudgerlightPosted 3/10/2013 10:40:39 PM
Any surround sound system with audio pass through should be good. I think that's most receivers these days. The issue a few years ago was that some receivers could only get the video from HDMI but not the audio, but it's easy to spot if it has it.

For instance:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH520-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B004NHCGJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362980190&sr=8-1&keywords=receiver

It says: "Standby pass-through of Audio & Video via HDMI connected devices". Just make sure it has that and you're golden.

I haven't really looked into receivers for a while, so I don't know what's the best anymore, sorry.