I just ordered my Wii U Deluxe...

#1lilpuddy31Posted 3/10/2013 8:59:58 PM
...and it should be here next Monday (18th). Anything I should know before it gets here? Like do i need an Hdmi cable ready for it or does it come with one? questions like that...

Serious answers please, no fanboyism/haters/trolls please...
---
I miss NHL hockey, I miss my St. Louis Blues :(
#2xoftheuniversePosted 3/10/2013 9:05:45 PM
It comes with an HDMI cable and is also compatible with your Wii cables, and if it isn't one of the newer ones made it will need an update to install Wii functionality and bug fixes. If by chance it is an older one DON'T SHUT IF OFF WHILE UPDATING!
---
The following terms are used by the people they describe: fanboy, noob, kiddy.
My gaming videos => http://www.youtube.com/user/xoftheuniverse
#3lilpuddy31(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 9:10:23 PM
xoftheuniverse posted...
DON'T SHUT IF OFF WHILE UPDATING!

Well yeah I knew that, it's just common sense, lol :)

Anything else I should know about the system?
---
#4picanoPosted 3/10/2013 9:12:22 PM
I'd suggest keeping the console in a relatively open place. Or at the very least, don't have other electronics directly above it.

Just from personal experience, I had some issues with gamepad connectivity when I had my Wii stacked on the Wii U (didn't bother moving it after the transfer)
---
Shadow Kirby 3: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNj-HmieoMk&fmt=22 Watch!
http://picanogfx.unotaku.com 3D Art and Catgirls!
#5tav19Posted 3/10/2013 9:12:23 PM
Get a screen protector and/or a protective case for the gamepad cause it costs $150 to have it repaired by Nintendo. Also get an external USB hard drive with at least 200GB if you plan on downloading/digitally purchasing a lot of Wii U titles like NintendoLand, Tekken Tag Tournament 2,Pikmin 3 (when it comes out), etc.
#6SocranPosted 3/10/2013 9:22:07 PM
tav19 posted...
Get a screen protector and/or a protective case for the gamepad cause it costs $150 to have it repaired by Nintendo.

What? No. It costs $70 to get it repaired if it's not under warranty, free if it is under warranty (which it is by default, no extra charge), and $140 to buy a new one from scratch if you don't want to send it in to Nintendo for whatever reason.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#7lilpuddy31(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 9:22:14 PM
picano posted...
I'd suggest keeping the console in a relatively open place. Or at the very least, don't have other electronics directly above it.

Just from personal experience, I had some issues with gamepad connectivity when I had my Wii stacked on the Wii U (didn't bother moving it after the transfer)

Good to know, thank you
---
#8lilpuddy31(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 9:25:36 PM
tav19 posted...
Also get an external USB hard drive with at least 200GB if you plan on downloading/digitally purchasing a lot of Wii U titles like NintendoLand, Tekken Tag Tournament 2,Pikmin 3 (when it comes out), etc.

Can the WiiU use a USB Drive right out of the box? I'm more of a physical copy kinda guy, but I will need it for DLC and digital only titles...
---
#9picanoPosted 3/10/2013 9:28:39 PM
I think it works out of the box, not sure if that day 1 update is required or not. I don't see anything mentioned in the official FAQ: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_external_storage.jsp
---
Shadow Kirby 3: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNj-HmieoMk&fmt=22 Watch!
http://picanogfx.unotaku.com 3D Art and Catgirls!
#10tav19Posted 3/10/2013 9:34:39 PM
Socran posted...
tav19 posted...
Get a screen protector and/or a protective case for the gamepad cause it costs $150 to have it repaired by Nintendo.

What? No. It costs $70 to get it repaired if it's not under warranty, free if it is under warranty (which it is by default, no extra charge), and $140 to buy a new one from scratch if you don't want to send it in to Nintendo for whatever reason.

Ok, I did not know that, I was under the impression that it cost $150 to fix after hearing about some horror stories shortly after launch about people having issues with the gamepad and Nintendo charging them $150 to get it fixed.