Is the Wii U a stopgap console? A hint at what the next console will be?

#1SilentdazePosted 3/11/2013 11:21:58 AM(edited)
Important note: I do not mean this as a troll topic. I'd like genuine thoughts on the matter. I have a Wii U, and am enjoying it, but can't help but think it's more of a hint to where Nintendo is going, and sooner rather than later.

I think the future Nintendo console will be a handheld system you can dock easily into a port connected to a tv to make it a home console. A system where you buy one game, and you can always play it, whether at home or on the go. Kind of like what Sony wants with the PS4/Vita, but integrated a bit smoother.

I think this can and will happen for a few reasons:

- The hardware divisions at nintendo were very recently combined
- We have hit the area of diminishing returns with console GFX power, and Nintendo clearly wants nothing to do with the arms race. Mobile processors are getting faster and more powerful every day, within a few years, I'd imagine they can best the Wii U in a portable package. Memory cards can hold more data than discs as well.
- Miiverse/NintendoIDs and hopefully eShop are going to be unified. One system to play all content, current and all past VC systems together sounds like a video gamers dream

Right now, Nintendo makes a good amount of money keeping their handhelds and home consoles separate. But the market for video game systems in general is rapidly declining, and offering one unified console could really set them apart.

So - think this is possible? Or am I greatly overestimating the potential power of future mobile processors?
---
Pokemon Black2 FC: 2108 6746 9224 (new player looking for trades)
3DS FC: 4296 4405 8727, NintendoID: the1graz (friend me through Miiverse)
#2XavuuPosted 3/11/2013 11:14:06 AM
That would be stupid.
---
Choice Band STAB surprise Quick Attack. Staraptor.
#3Silentdaze(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 11:20:38 AM
Xavuu posted...
That would be stupid.

Care to elaborate?
---
#4Bahamut_10thPosted 3/11/2013 11:21:25 AM
All I know is that the unified eShop thing will happen either this gen or in the next. From what I understood it only has not happened because with the console and handheld teams working seperately they often ended meeting barriers imposed by the fact the two worked very differently in their departments.
If it does happens in the next, I expect people will frustratingly have to redownload some stuff again, or possibly pay a tax.
#5LuckyLickmorePosted 3/11/2013 11:23:59 AM
its a possibility, nintendo is an innovator, and they have that certain nack at giving gamers what they want before they even know what they want............
#6Silentdaze(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 11:24:41 AM
Bahamut_10th posted...
All I know is that the unified eShop thing will happen either this gen or in the next. From what I understood it only has not happened because with the console and handheld teams working seperately they often ended meeting barriers imposed by the fact the two worked very differently in their departments.
If it does happens in the next, I expect people will frustratingly have to redownload some stuff again, or possibly pay a tax.

Right, but that's what I mean - Nintendo is using this gen to get everything in order and set up a much smoother next gen. By the time its out, everyone with a Wii U and 3DS will have unified their accounts, making the process a one time login, unlike the Wii to Wii U transfer system.

Also making it easy to have their 3DS content and Wii U content accessible on one device...
---
#7Bahamut_10thPosted 3/11/2013 11:29:19 AM
I don't think it will happen 'soon' though.

The Wii U would have to do worse than the Gamecube for Nintendo to consider not just letting it live the usual 6~7 years of lifespan.
#8Reflex-ArcPosted 3/11/2013 11:33:17 AM
If (and that's a big speculative "if") the Wii U is a short lifespan console, I would l like to see Nintendo lead the charge into a new era of gaming machines where it is all about the games. I grow weary of this current trend of consoles with integrated social media, "IllumiRoom" projectors, controller free motion controls, always on internet connections and cloud based gaming. I would love to see a bare bones gaming console without all of those "features", and I'd love to see it come from Nintendo.
#9Bahamut_10thPosted 3/11/2013 11:34:24 AM
I still want to see that 'project butterfly' thing become a reality.
#10Silentdaze(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 1:27:06 PM
Bahamut_10th posted...
I still want to see that 'project butterfly' thing become a reality.

What's that?
---