inevitable 3D Mario platformer

#1GigerSupremePosted 3/11/2013 11:47:03 PM
what do you want in it?

i dont know what kind of weird gimmick that nintendo plans to implement in the next 3D Mario game... i mean he went to space twice, has been to tropical islands, haunted houses and even returned to past levels remixed.

i kinda would like to see a mario game take some pages from Banjo Kazooie's playbook...

specifically how mario could learn new moves like banjo+kazooie could in their games.

mario limited powerups are great and all, but i really like the idea of mario slowly growing as the game progresses and gaining new moves that can open up the game and encourage the player to return to past areas and re explore them again with some new abilities.

mario 64 sorta did this with the power up blocks already, id like to see it expanded... maybe bring back the various mario suits/costumes too. past game gimmicks would make for decent power ups too, like the FLUDD and luigi's vacuum... maybe they could even be upgradable too.

also, id like to see levels become seamlessly interconnected and i dont want mario to get kicked out of a level after he collects a star.

bringing back mario's old hammer would be cool too.
#2senelcoolidge_Posted 3/11/2013 11:52:33 PM
Actual Co-op with Mario and Luigi.
#3GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 11:54:04 PM
senelcoolidge_ posted...

online co-op?

local co-op with a 3D platformer is kinda hard or impossible.
#4senelcoolidge_Posted 3/11/2013 11:55:33 PM
GigerSupreme posted...
senelcoolidge_ posted...

online co-op?

Both. It's not impossible with the gamepad being used as a second screen. In fact, it would work near perfectly.
#5GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 11:56:13 PM
senelcoolidge_ posted...
GigerSupreme posted...
senelcoolidge_ posted...

online co-op?

Both. It's not impossible with the gamepad being used as a second screen. In fact, it would work near perfectly.

oh yeah, i kinda forgot about that feature.
#6GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2013 12:01:38 AM
as for a setting, id very much like it to take place outside of the mushroom kingdom and possibly have it take place in Bowser's stomping grounds... the koopa kingdom or whatever.

instead of peach's castle, bowser's castle would make for a very interesting hub i think.
#7senelcoolidge_Posted 3/12/2013 12:05:22 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
as for a setting, id very much like it to take place outside of the mushroom kingdom and possibly have it take place in Bowser's stomping grounds... the koopa kingdom or whatever.

instead of peach's castle, bowser's castle would make for a very interesting hub i think.

I just hope the next one doesn't take place in space.
#8GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2013 12:07:56 AM
senelcoolidge_ posted...
GigerSupreme posted...

I just hope the next one doesn't take place in space.

yeah, after galaxy 2, there really is nothing left to do... im definitly done with outer space.

i know i want it more grounded this ti e around.
#9DanspurtPosted 3/12/2013 12:19:45 AM
On the Wii, the Mario games were never really that much about motion controls. There were segments of both Galaxy and NSMBWii that had motion controls, but the general theme and gimmicks of the games were not about that.

So, just like the Galaxy games were technically too demanding for the Gamecube, I want them to try some crazy concept that requires hardware beyond what the Wii had. Maybe something about manipulating the environment in crazy ways.

As for gamepad usage, symmetric local co-op with each player having a screen each sounds good.
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln
#10GigerSupreme(Topic Creator)Posted 3/12/2013 12:24:29 AM
Danspurt posted...
On the Wii, the Mario games were never really that much about motion controls. There were segments of both Galaxy and NSMBWii that had motion controls, but the general theme and gimmicks of the games were not about that.

So, just like the Galaxy games were technically too demanding for the Gamecube, I want them to try some crazy concept that requires hardware beyond what the Wii had. Maybe something about manipulating the environment in crazy ways.

As for gamepad usage, symmetric local co-op with each player having a screen each sounds good.

it seems logical to have the wii u 3D mario game to use the gamepad as a means to have local 2player co-op.

i suppose the gyroscope in the controller can be used too for level titling too.