Miyamoto: Online is most exciting thing in games right now

#31mcsmellingtonPosted 3/12/2013 6:14:37 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
mcsmellington posted...
pikachupwnage posted...
mcsmellington posted...
If Nintendo insist on advancing their already ancient online functions by only a few millimetres at a time, as they have been doing, then they can be excited all they want - but their consoles won't be used seriously for online gaming. We'll end up with the same situation as BLOPS2, everyone will buy the games for the systems with competent online functionality.

You mean everyone bought it on the other systems because they already had a huge COD fanbase and also released 5 days before the Wii U version?

If Activision actually bother to release another CoD on the Wii U, we'll have a look at the sort of numbers its community reaches. BLOPS2 gets a couple of thousand, tops. Most game modes aren't even playable cos there's no community there. If they'd been released simultaneously, it wouldn't have mattered, people would have gone PS360 because they have decent online features. Messaging, party chat, all features you can't do when you're playing on the Wii U.

I have the Wii U version, I enjoy it. But you can't deny that its a gimped version lacking in features and content, and Nintendos crap online setup does it no favours.

People would buy it on PS360 because the game's fanbase already largely exists on these older, cheaper consoles. The online features hardly differ here with the only thing really missing is party chat.

Tbh, I've not used the Wii U much recently. What do I do if I'm playing BLOPS2, and one of my friends is online playing a different game? Can I invite him directly from the game? I'm pretty sure you can't open the home menu and send him an invite from the friends list, although I might be wrong.
---
GT: McPoo
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#32Fou LuPosted 3/12/2013 6:14:46 AM
No, online is not exciting and it's not a smart thing to add to games. Almost every single game in existence that isn't called "Call of Duty" or "Halo" will have a dead online community in a matter of weeks after it's release. Yes, it's super popular at launch, but a year later, multiplayer in most games is completely dead. Companies need to stop adding it to games as it's not worth the time or money.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#33berenddebeerPosted 3/12/2013 6:14:49 AM
Dante200X posted...
>Nintendo doesn't like online.

LOL NINTENDO GET WITH THE TIMES

> Nintendo does like online.

LOL NINTENDO GET WITH THE TIMES

You act like this isn't true though. They're way behind on the online gaming front.

Nintendo has been experimenting with online since the NES. They just aren't giving it all their attention as many devs are doing today resulting in terrible offline games. Create a good game first, then worry about online.

This is true, and to be honest it's STILL very experimental. XBL is ok but far from as great as some people like to make it sound.
#34BeerOnTapPosted 3/12/2013 6:16:09 AM
jairusmonillas posted...
No surprise here, Wii U is last gen together with PS3 and 360.

You mean current gen, since neither PS4 nor 720 are out yet.

With you here, just think of all the billygoats successfully crossing your bridge right now.
#35wh0_kn0wsPosted 3/12/2013 6:29:26 AM
Nintendo has been experimenting with online since the NES.

eh? i remember bbs and prodigy in those days, what are you referring to here
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#36rdxmallick55Posted 3/12/2013 6:30:09 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#37wh0_kn0wsPosted 3/12/2013 6:33:51 AM
uh
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#38The_HyphenatorPosted 3/12/2013 6:35:46 AM
Fou Lu posted...
No, online is not exciting and it's not a smart thing to add to games. Almost every single game in existence that isn't called "Call of Duty" or "Halo" will have a dead online community in a matter of weeks after it's release. Yes, it's super popular at launch, but a year later, multiplayer in most games is completely dead. Companies need to stop adding it to games as it's not worth the time or money.

Pretty much. Most games simply don't have enough staying power to keep an online community alive for more than a few months (and that's being generous). The big shooter franchises can do it, and big-name fighting game franchises can do it, but that's about it.

Frankly, unless online multiplayer is going to be the main focus of a game (let's face it, nobody buys CoD for the story), most companies shouldn't bother with it.
#39GloryChaosPosted 3/12/2013 6:36:52 AM
Online multiplayer in Code of Princess was dead from the get go.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#40JackalPosted 3/12/2013 6:42:38 AM
berenddebeer posted...
Nintendo had internet services before either sony or microsoft made consoles lol

And they failed miserably at progressing it. Remember that online capably Game Cube? The one that they continues to sell modems for ebe though they announced that they would not support them because no one wanted to play games online? The PS2 and Xbox proved them wrong and advanced. Nintendo released the Wii and now you can get onine while Sony and MS released even better systems and stores based off of experiences and trial and error from the previous generation.

Now Nintendo has the Wii U. I don't have it so I don't really know what this store is like or it's online capabilities but we have seen a glimpse of what the PS4 will be offering. You all can just drop all of the "social media" talk because it's optional and Miiverse is nothing but a social app anyway. Video and voice chat. Video recording, editing, streaming and uploading from the console. The PSN Plus services. Cloud based storage. Cloud based gaming which explains why Iwata suddenly denounced that feature as not being viable right now. Separate RAM and processor features to handle downloading so it doesn't affect your gaming. Options to have demos and game trials downloaded for you based on the games that play, I think? They could and hopefully will. have Cloud based game demos that you could immediately play without downloading them. I think that would be a great option.

So for those of you with the Wii U, what does are it's online features?
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz