secret of evermore

#91Chewy247Posted 3/15/2013 10:34:36 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
Chewy247 posted...
Honestly, I feel these games were unique back in the days where everything was a generic side scroller or FF clone.

In todays market, its not really that unique in its atmosphere. We've had some really weird as **** this generation (binding of Isaac? Journey? Limbo? Portal?).

I think its one of those games that will remain better in the warm and fuzzy parts of our memories.

Still one of a kind since all those games you listed borrow some elements of SoE.

Really? My memory of SoE isn't very good. Remember the setting more than anything else about the game and in that sense, I don't really see how so. I mean, Isaac is about a kid trying to kill the devil buried in the dungeons of his mothers womb, fighting clots and what I can only assume, is the demonic manifestations of her STDs?

Well Im talking more so the isolation of a boy in a terrifying world with only his dog to aide him. The story deals with going through time and finding his way home. The kid is only supposed to be around 10-12 so if you put yourself in his shoes then its very scary, considering the monsters and bosses are 20x his size.

The subject material may be less tame, but its an influential game and many newer games have tried its formula imo. I dont disagree with you at all though, I just feel that its one of the more unique Square titles that gets overlooked.
---
Back to Nintendo And Sony
#92DesperateMonkeyPosted 3/15/2013 10:38:23 AM
Thats pretty cool, I never thought about that connection between all those protagonists and their isolation through a departure of their familiar world (I wonder if thats why I subconsciously chose those games to compare?).

I am not sure if SoE would be the first game to do it but perhaps it influenced these devs.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#93Honey-BoyPosted 3/15/2013 10:51:25 AM
another thing about all the contemporaries (limbo, binding of isaac, etc) that feature themes of loneliness and moody themes, Evermore manages to stand out by using humor and dosent take itself too seriously despite the dire circumstances. (all dem movie references and 4th wall breaking)

sometimes i feel like evermore has some qualities that evoke the feel of lucas arts adventure games like day of the tentacle... this is all due to the american sensibilities that were at the helm of evermore. square by themselves could never make this game the way it is, and i feel a western crew couldnt make it the way it is without the presence of square.

the game is what i call a thin air miracle.

the conditions were right and it came.
---
~choose death~
#94DesperateMonkeyPosted 3/15/2013 11:11:37 AM
Honey-Boy posted...
another thing about all the contemporaries (limbo, binding of isaac, etc) that feature themes of loneliness and moody themes, Evermore manages to stand out by using humor and dosent take itself too seriously despite the dire circumstances. (all dem movie references and 4th wall breaking)

Actually, Binding of Isaac is like this too and you even get characters from other games. Same with portal and the portal song must be one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard.

sometimes i feel like evermore has some qualities that evoke the feel of lucas arts adventure games like day of the tentacle... this is all due to the american sensibilities that were at the helm of evermore. square by themselves could never make this game the way it is, and i feel a western crew couldnt make it the way it is without the presence of square.

I think the conditions and the timing of the game was important to its success.

---
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#95Honey-BoyPosted 3/15/2013 11:22:34 AM
Honey-Boy posted...

Actually, Binding of Isaac is like this too and you even get characters from other games. Same with portal and the portal song must be one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard.

I think the conditions and the timing of the game was important to its success.

thing is with binding of issac, it is so pretentious and is kinda a mean spirited game... it dosent have an emotional core like the relationship between the boy and his dog.

while portal is a better argument, i feel portal has such a unique style all its own that is still so unique to the point you cant compare evermore and portal anymore... apples and oranges as they say.
---
~choose death~
#96DesperateMonkeyPosted 3/15/2013 11:33:12 AM
Yes, well certainly none of these games are really that representative of each other.
---
#97Chewy247Posted 3/15/2013 11:35:41 AM
To be fair, I haven't completed the game, Im on the lake boss so I'm still on the first world I think. I cannot beat him for the life of me.
---
#98Honey-BoyPosted 3/15/2013 11:40:24 AM
Chewy247 posted...
To be fair, I haven't completed the game, Im on the lake boss so I'm still on the first world I think. I cannot beat him for the life of me.

i missed it when games were hard lol
---
~choose death~
#99Chewy247Posted 3/15/2013 11:53:06 AM
Honey-Boy posted...
Chewy247 posted...

i missed it when games were hard lol

Yeah right now Im Playing the Super Star Wars games, even on Easy your health drains like crazy!
---
#100Honey-BoyPosted 3/15/2013 12:01:18 PM
you think thats bad, ever try Alien Soldier?

that game is unrelenting...
---
~choose death~