Pokemon Rumble U Will Use GamePad NFC

#1P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 3/13/2013 3:44:00 AM
Following in the footsteps of Disney Infinity, which in turn tags along behind the Skylanders series, Pokemon Rumble U is the latest game to jump on the NFC (near-field communication) bandwagon.

According to Japanese magazine CoroCoro (as reported by Serebii), players will be able to buy miniature Pokemon figurines that will sit on the NFC square on the Wii U GamePad. Like with Skylanders figurines and the “Portal of Power”, and Disney Infinity figurines and the “Infinity Base”, setting down a figurine will cause the relevant character to appear in the game. The figurines will also store stats for each Pokemon, much like the Skylanders figurines.

According to Serebii, the story of the game is that “the toy Pokémon have been lost from the shop after falling in the river. The task is to get back to the Toy Shop, while facing various bosses such as Chandelure”. When the game goes on sale in Japan on April 24, six figures and one special figure will be available. The only one we know about so far is – naturally – Pikachu.

While it was only a matter of time before a Pokemon game that used the NFC on the Wii U GamePad was announced, it's something of a disappointment that it's a title in the downloadable Pokemon Rumble series. I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing there was a game more similar to the likes of Pokemon Black that used the technology.

Pokemon Rumble U has no release date for the U.S. or Europe yet, but will launch in Japan on April 24.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/13372/article/pokemon-rumble-u-will-use-gamepad-nfc/
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa
#2IntranPosted 3/13/2013 3:51:01 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
Following in the footsteps of Disney Infinity, which in turn tags along behind the Skylanders series, Pokemon Rumble U is the latest game to jump on the NFC (near-field communication) bandwagon.

According to Japanese magazine CoroCoro (as reported by Serebii), players will be able to buy miniature Pokemon figurines that will sit on the NFC square on the Wii U GamePad. Like with Skylanders figurines and the “Portal of Power”, and Disney Infinity figurines and the “Infinity Base”, setting down a figurine will cause the relevant character to appear in the game. The figurines will also store stats for each Pokemon, much like the Skylanders figurines.

According to Serebii, the story of the game is that “the toy Pokémon have been lost from the shop after falling in the river. The task is to get back to the Toy Shop, while facing various bosses such as Chandelure”. When the game goes on sale in Japan on April 24, six figures and one special figure will be available. The only one we know about so far is – naturally – Pikachu.

While it was only a matter of time before a Pokemon game that used the NFC on the Wii U GamePad was announced, it's something of a disappointment that it's a title in the downloadable Pokemon Rumble series. I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing there was a game more similar to the likes of Pokemon Black that used the technology.

Pokemon Rumble U has no release date for the U.S. or Europe yet, but will launch in Japan on April 24.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/13372/article/pokemon-rumble-u-will-use-gamepad-nfc/

I hope the main series never gets nfc tech toys. I spend 40 bucks on pokemon games to have fun catching them, not to have a reason to buy worthless plastic figures for a full experience. Let them keep nfc for pokemon side franchises and keep the tried and true formula the same.
---
GT - Intranquill
PSN - Lawlerftw
#3Mattatron42Posted 3/13/2013 3:52:56 AM
at least you'll get a physical toy with the microtransactions. I've never played these pokemon rumble spin-off games, are they usually good?
---
3ds fc: 4940-5666-3487
NNID: Mattatron
#4Ghost-inZeShellPosted 3/13/2013 4:01:32 AM
I knew that was what the NFC was for!
#5P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2013 4:10:05 AM
Mattatron42 posted...
at least you'll get a physical toy with the microtransactions. I've never played these pokemon rumble spin-off games, are they usually good?

Think "Samurai Warriors" except with Pokemon and linear stages that always have a boss to defeat.

I think this is quite fitting actually, given the game calls them "toy Pokemon" anyway.
---
#6pokemonfreak97Posted 3/13/2013 5:54:07 AM
Am I the only one who's confused about him calling it a "downloadable series"? It was a downloadable game with a 3DS sequel; that makes it half download, half retail. It's not a downloadable series.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#7Tsutarja495Posted 3/13/2013 5:56:54 AM
I wouldn't want this kind of thing in the main games, but here in a spinoff actually about toy Pokemon anyway I find it fitting.
#8P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2013 6:27:23 AM
pokemonfreak97 posted...
Am I the only one who's confused about him calling it a "downloadable series"? It was a downloadable game with a 3DS sequel; that makes it half download, half retail. It's not a downloadable series.

Technically, you can still download the 3DS title, and the Wii U will be on eshop too.
---
#9mattersvillePosted 3/13/2013 10:17:08 AM
Between this and Monster Hunter, Nintendo is set to resume money printing operations in Japan very soon.
---
My Blog/Comic is funnier than your Blog/Comic.
http://sundaysmash.wordpress.com/
#10CosmBPosted 3/13/2013 10:19:54 AM
I must collect all of the figurines.
---
:)