Wii U=Dreamcast

#1jbhensPosted 3/14/2013 5:41:55 AM
First of all, I am someone who grew up with the NES and has seen every system launch since. I have owned every system out their besides the usual suspects like Virtua Boy, 3DO, and Sega CD. I know many gamers are younger nowadays but good lord peoples memories and opinions are beyond retarded these days.

Does the Wii U=Dreamcast. For any true fan of gaming that answer should be a quick no. Why? The Dreamcast easily had the best launch of any 3D system ever and had such a steady stream of quality releases and so much innovation at the time that no system since has quite hit that stride coming out. Now these people who complain about no Wii U games, a valid complaint, do they compare it to the Dreamcast trying to say it failed becasue lack of games? If you go back and look at the final nail in the coffin for the Dreamcast, PS2, then you will see something ammusing. The PS2, which turned out phenominal, had a very very slow first year. The Dreamcast should have been every gamers choice but the shiny PS2 sold in record numbers for a full year before any high quality games even hit it. If these people are true gamers they would realise that the PS2/3, Xbox/360 had very slow launches and first years just like almost every 3D console has had.

The Wii U is a typical system launch. It has a few good to very good games. Some ports of older 3rd party games. Looks like we might get some triple A titles within a year like Pikmin 3, Windwaker HD, and maybe a 3D Mario game. Ill hold judgement on the 3rd party support until E3. Is it selling in record low numbers? Yes. Could it be because of the piss poor economy? Of course. Does it make since for fanboys on message boards to showere criticism on it when the PS1/2/3, Sega Saturn, N64/Gamecube/Wii, and Xbox/360 have all had very very similar launches and the only difference is Nintendo is always held to a higher standard. Must be a reason for that.

So for anyone who tries to say the Wii U is like the Dreamcast clearly doesnt even know that the Dreamcast had the best launch and lineup in such a short period of time and shows how stupid fans of this industry are and how games honestly don't sell systems a lot of the time.

BTW, I dont currently own a Wii U and think Nintendo should have postponed launch by at least 6 months but hey I know its all about getting a new system out during a holiday season
#2CitizenCraigPosted 3/14/2013 5:46:08 AM
Who says this?

-WiiU was early to the party. Dreamcast was late to the party.
-WiiU had no killer games at launch. Dreamcast had several killer games at launch.
---
For PS3 trophy stats, submit your PSN to:
psnprofiles.com & psntrophyleaders.com
#3jbhens(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2013 5:59:45 AM
CitizenCraig posted...
Who says this?

-WiiU had no killer games at launch. Dreamcast had several killer games at launch.

Dreamcast was early to the party as well. It was going against the PS2. Its actually kinda funny how people talk about some ports from the PS3/360 not running as good on the Wii U. Does anyone remember the Grandia 2 port on the PS2. If you wanted to go by that then the PS2 was sub Dreamcast in power. Of course nobody now would say the PS2 was less powerful then the Dreamcast but hey by this boards logic less just go with ports of games in the first few months of a systems launch
#4RockD79Posted 3/14/2013 6:14:55 AM
jbhens posted...
CitizenCraig posted...
Who says this?

Dreamcast was early to the party as well. It was going against the PS2. Its actually kinda funny how people talk about some ports from the PS3/360 not running as good on the Wii U. Does anyone remember the Grandia 2 port on the PS2. If you wanted to go by that then the PS2 was sub Dreamcast in power. Of course nobody now would say the PS2 was less powerful then the Dreamcast but hey by this boards logic less just go with ports of games in the first few months of a systems launch

True. I'm also not sure what he means about no killer games. They have Assassins Creed 3, a damn good port of Black Ops 2 and what I'd call an enhanced port of Darksiders 2. Plus a few others that a lot of people just never had a chance to play. It's the post launch that's been flakey but not at all uncommon to new consoles.
---
The Wii U Board. The #1 Place For Your Tool Topic Needs. Tooling Users Since Nov 2012.
#5shootsmackPosted 3/14/2013 6:16:54 AM
No. Dreamcast was good.

Wii U is the Sega Saturn.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#6TheTrueNubPosted 3/14/2013 6:20:38 AM
The Dreamcast failed mostly because of the bombs of all the Genesis peripheral, the tank of the Saturn, and then the retailer grudges for those not chosen by Sega for the surprise Saturn launch ignoring the Dreamcast and promoting the PS2 instead (one of those was Wal-Mart). Sega royally screwed themselves over.

The Wii U isn't even close to the Dreamcast.

I hate it when people use this comparison. It's not even anywhere near the same situation.
---
Keep calm and hee-ho
http://i.imgur.com/8JzkT.png
#7jbhens(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2013 6:24:53 AM
shootsmack posted...
No. Dreamcast was good.

I can guarantee the Wii U will be around 5 years from now and will have a much better library of games then the Saturn did. But nice try. Wii U has been out for 3 months and is experiencing a lack of games like most systems do and now its the Sega Saturn. Good job.
#8shootsmackPosted 3/14/2013 6:29:04 AM
jbhens posted...
shootsmack posted...
No. Dreamcast was good.

I can guarantee the Wii U will be around 5 years from now and will have a much better library of games then the Saturn did. But nice try. Wii U has been out for 3 months and is experiencing a lack of games like most systems do and now its the Sega Saturn. Good job.

I can guarantee that you are wrong. Sega Saturn was ignored and left behind. Wii U won't last as long as it predecessor. It also would not be the first time Nintendo abandoned a system.

They could have released the system with different branding and it would last but delusional Nintendo pretends that there is consumer confidence in the Wii brand.

There is not.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#9PedroMontanaPosted 3/14/2013 6:35:45 AM
jbhens posted...

Well, while the reason was not "power", but simply the fact that developers got along well with the DC, while the PS2 was hard to develop for, it can't be denied that Sony's "the PS2 blows all previous systems out of the water" propaganda was nothing but smoke and mirrors.
Grandia 2 was BY FAR not the only game that looked better on Dreamcast then on PS2.

Quake 3 looked a lot better on Dreamcast, Unreal Tournament looked better on DC, Resident Evil CV and Silent Scope are supposed to look slightly better on DC, Crazy Taxi runs a lot more stable on DC (and the DC's CT2 obviously looked a lot better then either version of CT1, despite coming out around the same time as CT1's PS2 port).

Quite a few AAA Dreamcast exclusives also looked better then anything the PS2 had in 2001. I certainly don't remember any of the early PS2 games being as impressive as Shenmue 2 or Sonic Adventure 2.

How big the gap between the abilities of the Dreamcast and the PS2 really was is hard to estimate as AAA Dreamcast development ended in 2001.
But this illusion of a giant gap some people here seem to have (particularly those that somehow don't see that the Saturn was Sega's 5th gen PS1/N64 competitor, while the DC was build to compete with the PS2 and other 6th gen systems) is mostly based on 2 things:
1. Many early DC games were being held back by being multiplatform with PS1/N64.
2. That PS2 games from 2006 look better then anything the DC ever had is not a good argument for the PS2 superiority as AAA DC development ended in 2001. Had the DC survived until 2006, it would likely also have games that look a lot better then the DC's 2001 stuff.

Don't misunderstand me, i'm not saying that the PS2 is not more powerful then DC. I'm saying that during the time the systems were directly competing with each other the Dreamcast usually produced better graphics then the PS2, and i think that's a good indication that even later when the PS2 had surpassed the DC, the gap (in advantage of the PS2) would not have been bigger then the PS2/GC/Xbox1 gap.
---
No More Heroes
#10GigerSupremePosted 3/14/2013 6:40:48 AM
wiiu will only be like dreamcast if it becomes easily pirateable and if nintendo goes 3rd party and folds the console business.