Sakurai: Smash Bros Wii U will try to deal with online problems of Brawl

#1P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 3/14/2013 8:06:29 AM
Masahiuro Sakurai wants to make Smash Bros Wii U more fun to play online than Super Smash Bros Brawl. Writing in his Famitsu column, Sakurai highlighted the issue of players going on the defensive which results in fights are are "not interesting or fun."

Sakurai wrote his column in response to a letter from a fan who complained that everyone was taking the approach of waiting for the other player to go on the offensive and no one was playing with items.

Sakurai admitted that this isn't how he thought Brawl would be played online and will be looking to find a solution with Smash Bros Wii U.
"The idea of Brawl's 'carefree brawling' motto was to get rid of as many restraints as possible and allow people to choose whatever play approach they liked," he wrote. "I'd like people to take some freer approaches with their gameplay, but the sort of battle style you describe in your letter is not interesting or fun. That's why I'll probably be thinking of a way to deal with that in the next game. We've learned a lot about net play since Brawl was released, after all, so a lot more is possible.

"I suppose the fact that we've still got no-fee online battles available in a game that was released five years ago is another cause of the problem. It would have been nice if we could have revised the game rules as appropriate, but with the system we had, that wasn't possible."

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/47684/smash-bros-wii-u-online-multiplayer-will-be-more-fun-sakurai/
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa
#2shootsmackPosted 3/14/2013 8:07:15 AM
And it only took SIX YEARS
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#3Oni_TaedoPosted 3/14/2013 8:08:08 AM
The only way to fix the online problems of Brawl, would be to get rid of such a tacky, and awful feature.

Couch play or bust.
---
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
Hit me up for a match, always looking for new sparring partners.
#4P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2013 8:11:00 AM
I agree that couch play is much, much better. Anyways, here he is stating that he wants to change the online communities so that it's not just professional players, "No items, Fox only, Final Destination".
---
#5shootsmackPosted 3/14/2013 8:12:23 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
I agree that couch play is much, much better. Anyways, here he is stating that he wants to change the online communities so that it's not just professional players, "No items, Fox only, Final Destination".

So dumb the game down even further compared to Melee?
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#6GloryChaosPosted 3/14/2013 8:14:32 AM

Except this wasn't what online play in brawl was at all. Not even in the slightest.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666
#7TheBonfiniPosted 3/14/2013 8:15:17 AM
It's hard to stop people from exploiting the most unthinkable things in online fighters. Just get it done, play test it a reasonable amount, adjust, release a beta, make adjustments and launch it.

If people find some fun breaking move or character to play with just patch it.

I see no problems taking this game online unless the network is simply too gimped for fighters. They need very good latency
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#8P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2013 8:16:01 AM
GloryChaos posted...

Except this wasn't what online play in brawl was at all. Not even in the slightest.

That's just the term used to describe "serious melee players" or tournament buffs.
---
#9Neo_HeartlessPosted 3/14/2013 8:22:43 AM
I see no reason why you can't seperate the online into the serious tournament style play and the party funtime for all no limits play.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#10GloryChaosPosted 3/14/2013 8:28:53 AM
GloryChaos posted...

That's just the term used to describe "serious melee players" or tournament buffs.

I'm sorry. Let me be a little more specific and less rude.

Brawl's online play was the farthest thing from competitive smash bros. Let's assume that the person who messaged Sakurai was talking about "With Anyone" mode here. 2 minute timed matches in free for all/2 vs. 2 were the only modes. The items selected were randomly chosen from whoever could set the rules at the time. The stage was also randomly chosen from one of the four choices picked by any of the players. Occasionally, you'll end up playing on smashville, final destination, lylat cruise, etc while not seeing any items. At other times you won't. And most of the time, you'll run into taunt parties who taunt for two minutes straight unless you attack any of them. If you do, they all team up to kill you repeatedly. Or kill each other to keep you from winning. This is not what competitive smash players want to see. This isn't what they want to play. And for the record, this wouldn't be much fun for many people either. Brawl's online strips away the customization you have in local play while giving you two minute timed matches as the only mode. Once the playerbase turned sour, what else is left?

If the guy who complained to Sakurai is talking about friend matches, then that's something he should have taken with the people he played with. No matter where I went online or who I played with, the situation was always the same. We'd always ask, "What rules are we playing by?" before starting a match. In this way, I played with many people who used items and picked 75m. Or I played with people who picked MARTHLAND- I mean, battlefield and turned the items off. And once again, since neither player has complete control over what items and stages get selected, the guy could have turned items on himself.

Complaining about defensive playstyles? That is ultimately the fault of Super Smash Bros. Brawl itself. I am not a competitive player. Most of the people I play with are not competitive players. And yet, more than half of my matches ended up being played this way. Somebody would camp me and force me to approach them. You know something is wrong when the physics of the game encourage even 11 year olds (referring to my younger brother. Not a broad demographic) to just sit in one spot and laser spam with Falco while waiting for you to attack them. Thanks to Brawl's physics, this is actually effective.

My point here is that this guy's complaints have nothing to do with competitive play in at all.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
"Gravity Rush is 1458 Mb the 58 Mb should more then cover the missions/dialog/character models" - Demondog666