System selling that I think many many people are overlooking.

#1CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 3/15/2013 12:10:34 AM
Wii Fit U? - Results (52 votes)
Sensation!
51.92% (27 votes)
Disaster!
48.08% (25 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Wii Fit U.
I think people really underestimate the success of the franchise.

Globally, wii fit sold 22.7 M units.
Thats pretty good.
Dang good.

However, one might say "Yeah but casuals don't re-buy games, they won't get that many sales with Wii Fit U"
Or
"Wii Fit is just a gimmick, people bought it, and then never touched it again."

To that I say, WRONG.
Do not be deceived, the effect wii fit had is substantial, and long lasting.

The sequel to wii fit, Wii fit Plus sold very near as well as the original.
21.1 million Units.

And, people were not just playing and putting it down,
Go on the nintendo channel and check the play data for these games.

Combined, wii fit, and wii fit plus have average time played per user, and average TIMES played per user competitive with the most successful online games on the wii.
SSBB, Mario Cart, Goldeneye, Monster Hunter.

People played it, every day. in fact these 'non gamers' have really given gamers a run for their money if this was a contest.

But really, None of that is the reason why I think Wii Fit U is going to be a huge success.
The reason I think that wii Fit U will be outrageously successful is...

The addition of the gamepad makes the game what it needs to be, to be used, to be used successfully, and meaningfully.
The ability to do your daily measurements without going far out of your way, not even having to turn on the TV.

The ability to do your exercises without occupying the TV, by using off TV Play.

Vitality sensor anybody?

Its almost as if the system was designed around Wii Fit.
So much so, that I think it stands a change to become a legitimate valuable tool.
The original wii Fit was Arguably just a gimmick that would in the end make little difference.
But on the Wii U, Wii Fit might just be able to cross that threshold.
And that could bring it into millions more households than even the original.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#2rudgerlightPosted 3/15/2013 12:14:58 AM
NSMB Wii sold 20 million also and that didn't pull in crazy numbers. Maybe it could be a system seller, but they'd have to market it smartly. The mere existence of the game won't drive sales. If they sell a version without the balance board, I'm sure a few fans of the old ones are bound to check it out, but let's see what it actually looks and plays like first.
#3TheBonfiniPosted 3/15/2013 12:20:01 AM
I owe finally losing my virginity to Wii-Fit. Thank you, Nintendo.

Previously I was pudgy as a Goomba. Now I'm as hard as Bowsers shell and saved a Princess.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#4CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 12:21:43 AM(edited)
rudgerlight posted...
NSMB Wii sold 20 million also and that didn't pull in crazy numbers. Maybe it could be a system seller, but they'd have to market it smartly. The mere existence of the game won't drive sales. If they sell a version without the balance board, I'm sure a few fans of the old ones are bound to check it out, but let's see what it actually looks and plays like first.

I think what make WII Fit a seller more than NSMB wii is that...
Large portions of the demographic captured by wii fit would not otherwise have been interested in the system.

NSMB wii I think largely appealed to a demographic which likely already had owned the wii for a long time. Although, I'm pretty sure it also did its due diligence in pushing sales as well.

In short, Wii Fit sold systems because it expanded the demographic
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#5rudgerlightPosted 3/15/2013 12:28:38 AM
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
Large portions of the demographic captured by wii fit would not otherwise have been interested in the system.

NSMB wii I think largely appealed to a demographic which likely already had owned the wii for a long time. Although, I'm pretty sure it also did its due diligence in pushing sales as well.

I didn't see where in your numbers you showed that Wii Fit sold systems. You mentioned general software sales, but you didn't compare hardware sales before and after the titles came out.

Whether it did or not, you'd have to argue why Wii Fit users would want to upgrade to a $300 console. Wii Fit Plus was $100. Not cheap, but not $300. Again, Nintendo certainly is capable of selling systems using Wii Fit, but the mere existence of the game isn't going to push systems. There needs to be a more compelling reason to buy it other than, "oh, another Wii Fit," but most importantly, that reason needs to be communicated to consumers. So far they haven't communicated much so we're all working under assumptions.
#6CHAINMAILLEKID(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 12:39:13 AM(edited)
rudgerlight posted...
CHAINMAILLEKID posted...

I didn't see where in your numbers you showed that Wii Fit sold systems. You mentioned general software sales, but you didn't compare hardware sales before and after the titles came out.

Whether it did or not, you'd have to argue why Wii Fit users would want to upgrade to a $300 console. Wii Fit Plus was $100. Not cheap, but not $300. Again, Nintendo certainly is capable of selling systems using Wii Fit, but the mere existence of the game isn't going to push systems. There needs to be a more compelling reason to buy it other than, "oh, another Wii Fit," but most importantly, that reason needs to be communicated to consumers. So far they haven't communicated much so we're all working under assumptions.

I'm pretty sure there's been some statistical confirmation that the game actually did move systems. But I think its a pretty good assumption to make as... That's kinda what games do.

And just by basing on the demographic of the launch events, and all the indicators we do have. And based on who it was marketed towards as well.
I admit its an assumption. But I'm pretty sure we're fairly safe in making it.

Do you think that these people who bought wii fit for the most part already owned the systems? Because that's the only other possibility.

http://images.nintendolife.com/articles/2008/05/26/nintendo_give_back_at_wii_fit_launch/attachment/1/large.jpg

---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#7Janobii_IvyPosted 3/15/2013 2:32:03 AM
So it will sell well but the attach rate will be horrible. That's what you want, eh?
---
Amber stole my sig before it existed.
#8ReedeemerPosted 3/15/2013 4:40:53 AM
Honestly, I'm looking forward to it haha. Plenty of peeps in my house played wii fit when it was out, and I'll take any chance to use the balance board again :]

Haven't really heard much about the title itself though, is there a release date yet?
---
WiiU: rZetro
PSN: Zetro-X ::: 3DS: 1118-0389-0873
#9OtakuGameraPosted 3/15/2013 4:45:49 AM
wasnt it heavily bundled with almost all wii's?
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#10phy2jshPosted 3/15/2013 5:13:59 AM
Imagine if they'd had it ready by early Jan 2013, just as everyone convinces themselves they will be getting fit as their new year resolution. That would have really helped with the sales in early 2013.