North American Wii U sales show dismal start to 2013

#51Recca KunPosted 3/15/2013 7:17:56 AM
Ryan Si posted...
Nintendo is notorious for game droughts....They can't produce enough 1st-party IPs in reasonable fashion to cover up the poor third-party support they've enjoyed since N64.

Though this is looking like Dreamcast-level developer interest.

Honestly, I just don't see where the Wii U fits. You have PC/PS4/XBX (which developers will flock to and are already confirming games) for the traditional gamers and then you have smartphones and tablets (which are only going to become "bigger") for the casuals, but let's be honest everyone enjoys them to an extent.

I see it as a family system. Parents with a couple kids will buy them the new kid and local multiplayer-friendly Nintendo console. Casuals will and have ignored it. Older gamers will most likely use it as a secondary console to their PS4/XBX/PC. I have hard time believing there will be too many adult gamers out there with a Wii U as their only current system...(and not everyone buys multiple consoles).

A well reasoned and thought out response, how rare on this board.
---
TF2
#52vashtrichamPosted 3/15/2013 7:23:43 AM
Im guessing alot of people are like me and only care about one or two games like X. Nintendo inability for two generations to consistently release great games outside of Mario and Zelda is really hurting them now.
---
I just stabbed a parking attendant... Wheres the button to turn myself in- Hank Hill
#53sanas_thirituPosted 3/15/2013 7:29:46 AM
Well, is North America even nintendo's big market? as long as they can sell reasonably in japan, I guess they'll be fine. I dont even think they even care about non japanese customers. Why else would they keep making games with kiddy toony look and characters speaking in squeaky high pitched voices? The japanese love that kind of thing.
---
The purpose of my life is to play games. Its the reason I even work.
#54monkeyspoon(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 7:35:11 AM
sanas_thiritu posted...
Well, is North America even nintendo's big market? as long as they can sell reasonably in japan, I guess they'll be fine. I dont even think they even care about non japanese customers. Why else would they keep making games with kiddy toony look and characters speaking in squeaky high pitched voices? The japanese love that kind of thing.

It's selling awful in Japan too. Below the PSP even.
---
PSN ID: monkeyspoon, XBL ID: monkeyspoon, Nintendo Network ID: monkeyspoon. Can't wait for the PS4 to be released. Trolls on my ignore list: berenddebeer
#55sanas_thirituPosted 3/15/2013 7:44:01 AM
monkeyspoon posted...
sanas_thiritu posted...

It's selling awful in Japan too. Below the PSP even.

Yeah, but in japan its only temperory. The moment they release another one of those toony little pokemon type games with all the characters squeaking at each other, the japanese will start queueing up for the wii u more ferociously than the crazy guys camping outside the apple store near my home.

The last I hear, nintendo has many japanese styled games lined up for release this year
---
The purpose of my life is to play games. Its the reason I even work.
#56Virtue777Posted 3/15/2013 7:48:27 AM
Fanboy topics like this are hilarious. I'm glad I have all of the consoles + a gaming PC. I feel bad for people like the TC who fanboy up hard because they can't afford a particular system.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#57bossk5Posted 3/15/2013 8:00:33 AM
Nice to see the TC doesn't only troll the 360 boards and its games. More confirmation that Sony fanboys are indeed....the worst of the bunch.
---
I buy used games.Pacers 3- whatever...I give up
#58wingblade98Posted 3/15/2013 8:19:36 AM
*waits till the 19th*
---
I hope disney retcons the star wars prequals.
#59SagadegoPosted 3/15/2013 8:22:49 AM
I see the hypocrite monkeytroll is posting crap again.
---
Netflix has a rental service, but it isn't a rental service. - Demondog666
#60CBASH13Posted 3/15/2013 8:52:50 AM
Numbers never lie. The Wii U should have been released two years ago. Can't wait to see what gets developed for this "next gen" system when the real next gen kicks off with the release of the PS4.

I'm sure when the PS4 and NextBox are getting heavy doses of next gen software the Wii U will essentially get the same treatment the Wii got with the PS3 and 360. Dumbed down ports and abysmal third party support.
---
It is what it is