North American Wii U sales show dismal start to 2013

#61DDP886Posted 3/15/2013 8:53:54 AM
galfasanta1111 posted...
The Wii U is flopping. And flopping hard.

---
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds = Spiritual Liberation
LETS GO: NYRangers; Bring this cup back to where it belongs
#62AerodarPosted 3/15/2013 8:57:24 AM
Just going to mention this once because every time I visit this website some new fool creates a topic mentioning sales in each continent.

First off the system doesn't have any games out at the moment and everybody already knows that so why are people surprised that sales are not high? It's common sense.

Nintendo already made a public announcement that they rushed the launch of the Wii-U so cut them some slack.

I haven't touched my Wii-U in a while and just play my PS3 all the time but I don't think it was a waste of money because once the games start coming out these low sales you creators like to post will rise.

Nobody cares about sales right now, give it a year after the PS4 is released and we shall see the difference.
---
"It is what it is."
#63Inferno_21Posted 3/15/2013 8:59:57 AM
I honestly did not expect the Wii U to have great sales after the initial launch month, I mean what games have come out that would want to make someone buy it now if they did not buy it at launch?

The only thing that is going to get these sales up is a few good titles or maybe a $50 price drop.

Hopefully Monster Hunter and Lego City push some hardware.
---
MGS4 = Best Game this Generation
#64Ryan SiPosted 3/15/2013 9:00:59 AM
Recca Kun posted...
A well reasoned and thought out response, how rare on this board.

Thanks

monkeyspoon posted...
Ryan Si posted...
Nintendo is notorious for game droughts....They can't produce enough 1st-party IPs in reasonable fashion to cover up the poor third-party support they've enjoyed since N64.

Though this is looking like Dreamcast-level developer interest.

Honestly, I just don't see where the Wii U fits. You have PC/PS4/XBX (which developers will flock to and are already confirming games) for the traditional gamers and then you have smartphones and tablets (which are only going to become "bigger") for the casuals, but let's be honest everyone enjoys them to an extent.

I see it as a family system. Parents with a couple kids will buy them the new kid and local multiplayer-friendly Nintendo console. Casuals will and have ignored it. Older gamers will most likely use it as a secondary console to their PS4/XBX/PC. I have hard time believing there will be too many adult gamers out there with a Wii U as their only current system...(and not everyone buys multiple consoles).

I agree with most of what you said except gamers having a WiiU as a secondary console. Gamers are more than likely to already own a PS3/360 and therefore have no need for a WiiU as a secondary console.

You can't get Nintendo games like F-Zero, Zelda, StarFox, or Monolith Soft RPGs on a PS3 or 360...
---
Currently Playing: Bit.Trip Presents...Runner 2 (PC), Assassins Creed II (PC), Super Mario All-Stars (Wii)
#65mattersvillePosted 3/15/2013 9:02:18 AM
I blame it on poor marketing and not just the lack of games. My brother-in-law didn't even know Nintendo had a new console when he came over this week. My boss, a gamer, thought the Wii U was a controller for the Wii in a converstion we had yesterday. My mother-in-law, who bought the original Wii and DS and is part of that older casual market, has seen me use it and still doesn't really get what it is.

Still, once Smash is out, everything will change.
---
My Blog/Comic is funnier than your Blog/Comic.
http://sundaysmash.wordpress.com/
#66DDP886Posted 3/15/2013 9:05:26 AM
mattersville posted...
I blame it on poor marketing and not just the lack of games. My brother-in-law didn't even know Nintendo had a new console when he came over this week. My boss, a gamer, thought the Wii U was a controller for the Wii in a converstion we had yesterday. My mother-in-law, who bought the original Wii and DS and is part of that older casual market, has seen me use it and still doesn't really get what it is.

Still, once Smash is out, everything will change.

The marketing has been so poor
---
#67BigReedPosted 3/15/2013 9:07:14 AM
I honestly have no idea how Nintendo can turn this around, especially to the levels of success the Wii had.

They're stuck for the next 5-7 years with severely outdated hardware that most people don't understand.

It's a shame to, because I really like a lot of what the WiiU has to offer, it's just going to lack third party support from now on.
---
If you like my reviews, recommend them. If you have some suggestions feel free to PM me.
#68DDP886Posted 3/15/2013 9:17:24 AM
Wii u has no games
---
#69ShankspearePosted 3/15/2013 9:27:32 AM
Since you all are so interested in sales and dismal things in the industry:

http://247wallst.com/2013/03/15/video-game-industry-continues-to-face-headwinds/

and

http://www.el33tonline.com/past/2013/3/15/february_npd_us_videogame_industry/

Maybe this will show the full picture of the industry as opposed to just Nintendo dropping out and making games for other platforms.
#70Silver_SparkletPosted 3/15/2013 9:27:42 AM
As much as i want nintendo to crash in hopes that they will convert back to their old ways, it always comes down to this in the end somehow: (start from top image)

http://www.vgmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/nintendo-cycle.png
---
simple & effective