Is Ocarina of Time Overrated?

#1trollhunter2Posted 3/15/2013 6:11:24 AM
Dont get me wrong guys, Zelda is one of my favorite Videogame franchises, but I cant help but feel that OOT is strongly overrated. Tell me what OOT does better than WW, TP or SS?
Absolutely nothing actually, in fact the next installments improved a lot in character development(WW and SS), new mechanics(TP) and new combat skills. I think people are blinded by their Nostalgia so much, and thats what makes Nintendo afraid to step it up in the Zelda Franchise. I bet that Nintendo is willing to change and improve the formular, but die hard Zeldafanboys(in this case OOT-fanatics) makes it really difficult for them to achieve new Heights. Nintendo is afraid to lose the fanbase, when they change too much from the formular, and thats IMO just wrong. Just drop your nostalgia goggles and let the franchise move on to new heights.
---
Official Alundra of PSASBR Board
just add me psn: Naijaplaya
#2trenkenPosted 3/15/2013 6:14:04 AM
It was the first of a kind, and every 3D Zelda game after it has tried to copy it. How could it possibly be overrated????
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#3trenkenPosted 3/15/2013 6:15:45 AM
There is a damn good reason why its always in those best games of all time lists, and WW, TP and SS never are. Ive never seen any of those games listed among the best ever, but OoT almost always is because there was no other game like it at that time.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#4Beatperson14Posted 3/15/2013 6:17:19 AM
DUH.

It really isn't even that good tbh, and they have used the exact same formula ever since
#5CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 3/15/2013 6:17:27 AM
Its not to me.
You may call it Nostalgia, I call it playing the game at the right place, at the right time.

Its not about how "Good" the game was, its about how big of an impact my experience was with it.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#6The_HyphenatorPosted 3/15/2013 6:19:22 AM
As somebody who didn't complete Ocarina of Time until very recently (the Water Temple put me off of it for years), I have to agree. OoT was revolutionary for the time, but it's fairly short for a Zelda title (only 9 dungeons), the difficulty curve is uneven (spikes at the Water Temple, and the rest of the dungeons are pretty much a joke afterward), there aren't as many sidequests or secrets as there are in LttP or in subsequent Zelda games, and the story is easily surpassed by subsequent titles like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword (plus the ending is a huge letdown).

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good game, but it's not the pinnacle of the series by any measure.
#7DeathSoul2000Posted 3/15/2013 6:21:13 AM
I'd say it deserves its praise. lt was absolutely stellar when it was released, and kept me occupied until majora's mask came out. Plus it redefined zelda, no other 3D zelda has been nearly as influential.
#840DribylfPosted 3/15/2013 6:22:57 AM(edited)
It was the first of a kind, and every 3D Zelda game after it has tried to copy it. How could it possibly be overrated????

"Copy it"

OoT was, design-wise, a 3D version of A Link to the Past. Zelda games have a formula. They aren't copying anything.

Anyway, no, Ocarina of Time isn't overrated. It's a mid-tier Zelda game imo, but when that game came out, the impact it had on the game industry is legendary. Future Zelda gamesdid improve on the formula, but none had OoT's impact.

And it's still a damn great game 15 years later. OoT has a "clean" formula, where anyone who plays games could enjoy it.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#9YoyokuKOPosted 3/15/2013 6:22:37 AM
if reviews are still coming out after 2 years since release, its over rated
#10vashtrichamPosted 3/15/2013 6:26:25 AM(edited)
In my eyes the simplicity of ease of the game gets over looked. Yes it was a great game but it was too simplistic and easy to be one of the greatest of all time
---
I just stabbed a parking attendant... Wheres the button to turn myself in- Hank Hill