Is Ocarina of Time Overrated?

#21jbhensPosted 3/15/2013 7:46:13 AM
Depends on how old you are. For gamers who were old enough during the N64/PS era to remember games like Mario 64, Goldeneye, Half Life, Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil 1/2, and Ocarina of Time and the impact they had on gaming and the way we play games absolutely not. For gamers whose first system may have been a PS2 or an even newer system then it probably is. The thing is you can go back and play those games, and if you can get over the primitive graphics or played them when they were new you would realise its getting close to 20 years and games haven't advanced that much from a gameplay point that these games founded so long ago.
#22a gPosted 3/15/2013 7:56:34 AM
Zelda 1, Zelda 2, LTTP and Wind Waker are all more fun to play than OOT
#23cb52211Posted 3/15/2013 8:05:23 AM(edited)
I don't think it's overrated, it's just that later 3D Zelda games have built off Ocarina's ideas and expanded upon them. Nowadays lock on combat and huge areas to explore are industry standards, but back in the late 90's it was something we hadn't seen before. Admittedly, going back and playing it again fifteen years later, the game isn't quite as impressive as it was back then. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Ocarina showed how combat and exploration can work in 3D space, and frankly I haven't seen many games with excellent swordplay like Ocarina and the other 3D Zelda games. It's like the movie Citizen Kane. Back in 1941 the clever cinematography and dramatic acting created a beautiful film about the dangers of power and money, but when I watched it I thought it was the best cure for insomnia. That said the movie as well as Ocarina of Time have left their own legacies, and that's what makes them classics.
#24GuysSorryPosted 3/15/2013 8:03:06 AM
When so many people say it has the greatest story in a videogame Yes, it is overrated.

Same goes for the soundtrack.

Not too mention the complete stepdown of a quality Hyrule Field from A Link to the Past. OOT Hyrule Field is more desolate than a Fallout game.

It's a solid 9/10 game. Great game. But many, many games are better, both older and newer than it.
#25trollhunter2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/15/2013 8:03:43 AM
40Dribylf posted...
In my eyes the simplicity of ease of the game gets over looked. Yes it was a great game but it was too simplistic and easy to be one of the greatest of all time

The experience of a game is more important than difficulty, but I agree with you. 3D Zeldas are way too easy.

trenken posted...
It was the first of a kind, and every 3D Zelda game after it has tried to copy it. How could it possibly be overrated????

my point is that the fanatics wont accept any new zelda game to be better than OOT, when it is actually( I dont see why TP isnt better than OOT for example)

That's generally because nostalgia blinds them or they're riding the bandwagon.

Yup. Thats whats holding Nintendo back. I bet its hard to satisfy diehards
---
Official Alundra of PSASBR Board
just add me psn: Naijaplaya
#26vashtrichamPosted 3/15/2013 8:07:20 AM
40Dribylf posted...
In my eyes the simplicity of ease of the game gets over looked. Yes it was a great game but it was too simplistic and easy to be one of the greatest of all time

The experience of a game is more important than difficulty, but I agree with you. 3D Zeldas are way too easy.

trenken posted...
It was the first of a kind, and every 3D Zelda game after it has tried to copy it. How could it possibly be overrated????

my point is that the fanatics wont accept any new zelda game to be better than OOT, when it is actually( I dont see why TP isnt better than OOT for example)

That's generally because nostalgia blinds them or they're riding the bandwagon.

The simplicity and lack of difficulty can ruin or hurt the experience for many myself included, still a great game though
---
I just stabbed a parking attendant... Wheres the button to turn myself in- Hank Hill
#2740DribylfPosted 3/15/2013 8:15:40 AM
trenken posted...
Yup. Thats whats holding Nintendo back. I bet its hard to satisfy diehards

Huh? They aren't holding Nintendo back. Nintendo is holding themselves back by consciously playing it safe with the design and making the games way too easy.

If Nintendo was listening to fanboys, we wouldn't have gotten The Wind Walker or Skyward Sword. We would have gotten literal OoT clones.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#28Phange 2Posted 3/15/2013 8:21:20 AM
OoT is only overrated when you judge it by 2013 standards.

In 1998, it was a total paradigm shift in game design. Virtually all major 3D third person action conventions were invented by OoT, from lock on targeting (with strafing!) to customizable inventory management on a console utilizing hotkeys.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#29Chewy247Posted 3/15/2013 8:22:25 AM
Oni_Taedo posted...
Chewy247 posted...
No as imo it stands the test of time better than any other 3D game.

^This. It's actually still fun to play, and has aged quite well.
Can't say the same about DMC, or even SM64, though neither of those were good, even when they came out.

Agreed, SM64 hasn't aged well, but its mostly just a nostalgia trip. DMC on the other hand....is sort of a mess.

The ONLY problem I have with OoT, and this is nitpicking. The menu when you move with Z and R moves SO SLOW compared to MM.
---
Back to Nintendo And Sony
#30Vuts_UpPosted 3/15/2013 8:25:42 AM
Overrated? Hell no.