Is Ocarina of Time Overrated?

#71FRo3tBLo0dPosted 3/15/2013 10:41:26 AM
For some people sure, For me? No.
#72DesperateMonkeyPosted 3/15/2013 10:41:42 AM
Its overrated in that people think it would still be a decent game compared to modern games. Reality is, its a bad joke compared to Twilight Princess.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#73dorsman84Posted 3/15/2013 10:41:54 AM
no
---
PSN, Steam, Xbox Live, Miiverse: pharmy
#74LLL_DeadlyPosted 3/15/2013 10:42:41 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
Reality is, its a bad joke compared to Twilight Princess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M
#75TerotrousPosted 3/15/2013 10:44:05 AM
LLL_Deadly posted...
In what way?

TP's pacing is godawful, the overworld is too large for its own good, Link has hardly any progression (while in OoT, you built him up across the game and his appearance changed impeccably).

You could argue that TP's story is better, but the game suffers because of it. Because it's story-driven, the game was incredibly linear and that alone takes away tons of points.

I already mentioned most of it in my previous post. It almost entirely boils down to better pacing. TP is no more linear than OoT, however it spaces out its gameplay elements much better. OoT has all of its variety during the child link segment, you explore towns, go ranching, do sidequests, sneak into castles, do a few dungeons, etc. If the whole game was like this, it would actually be pretty good. Unfortunately, when you get to adult link, you do dungeons and warp to the next dungeon and that's about it. There's a very tiny handful of puzzles where you have to go back in time but even those are too few and far between.

TP's dungeons also aren't as long (one of the big problems with OoT is its dungeons simply take way too long), and the ability to turn into a wolf allows you to run faster anywhere, not just in Hyrule Field.

The fact that the game has a story also gives you some reason to continue playing. There's actually a reason to go to each dungeon beyond "please collect these 3 / 5 things so we can defeat Ganon!"
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#76Robot_SoopaPosted 3/15/2013 10:44:25 AM
Majora's Mask did it better.
#77LLL_DeadlyPosted 3/15/2013 10:44:32 AM
Terotrous posted...
FRo3tBLo0d posted...
No, One of my favorite games all time. I don't get how people can say that its overrated but Hey, Everyone has their own opinion and I have mine.

The main reason a game would be considered overrated is if it is rated much higher than other games of comparable quality, particularly if its fanbase can't justify why it has the rating that it does.

If the level of acclaim for Ocarina was "it was a very historically significant game, but later games expanded on the formula to create a more well-rounded experience", (ie, similar to the way people see SMB1), I wouldn't consider that to be overrated. The fact that people constantly claim it to be the "best game ever!" with no explanation of how it outdoes something like Okami is what makes it overrated.

As for FF7, it may be slightly overrated but is less overrated than OoT, simply because fewer games have bettered it. Many modern RPGs have actually forgotten many of the things FF7 did well, like giving you simple but meaningful character customization and a well-designed, highly detailed and memorable world to explore, and since then, the number of RPGs that are as ambitious as FF7 was have fallen dramatically.

FFX, however, is extremely overrated, as FF7 is the superior game in most respects.

It's actually laughable how you're trying to explain how a game can be overrated with completely subjective comments.

I think FFX is miles better than FF7, and deserves its ratings.
#78Yo_D_oYPosted 3/15/2013 10:45:47 AM
"Nostalgia glasses" is probably the dumbest metaphor I've seen on this website.
---
To most Christians, the bible is like a software license. They don't read it. They just scroll to the bottom and click 'i agree'
http://i.imgur.com/nudes.jpg
#79SlimeSwayzePosted 3/15/2013 10:48:04 AM
It's not my favorite Zelda game, but I think deserves all the praise it gets. I've rarely, if ever, played a game where at the time I felt like it was such a major step forward for gaming. The only other time I may have felt that way was when I played the original Zelda in 1986, when even my child brain knew something special was happening.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#80AnclationPosted 3/15/2013 10:51:07 AM
There are plenty of highly regarded 90's games that I consider overrated (Super Mario RPG, Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, Mario 64, Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64 to name a few), but Ocarina of Time is certainly not one of them. In fact, it's still my all time favorite game, along with the equally amazing Majora's Mask.

As far as OoT VS newer Zelda games go, I definitely feel OoT has better pacing and a better sense of progression (the fact that you actually go from child to adult, with all the changes that follow, definitely helps in the latter regard). TP and SS both start out really slow, while in OoT you get to the first dungeon in less than half an hour, while still getting the chance to explore your surroundings and learning the game mechanics. Wind Waker on the other hand starts out really strong, but lost some steam after the halfway point, while OoT just kept getting more interesting the further I progressed.

OoT has plenty of quality temples & dungeons (more than WW and SS), but also plenty of secrets and sidequests (TP was kinda disappointing in that regard, and its huge overworld felt empty and barren compared to the compact worlds of the N64 Zeldas). It strikes the perfect balance between linearity and open endedness, whereas the last few Zeldas are overly linear. The story is simple, but works well and feature several really nice twists, and the game has a pretty good cast of characters (certainly more memorable characters than TP featured, Midna being excluded). It also has one the best Zelda soundtracks ever. Even when looking past the nostalgia, the game holds up very well indeed.