ITT We post creative ideas on how to use the gamepad

#1HaigicotsuPosted 3/15/2013 8:09:36 PM
I saw the idea of using it as a camera for Fatal Frame, sounded pretty interesting so it got me thinking of how the gamepad could be used in creative ways.

However, I came up with squat, so I'm curious if anyone out there has thought up some ideas on how to use the gamepad.
---
UMVC3 --Nemesis/Phoenix Wright/ Akuma
#2SegavsCapcomPosted 3/15/2013 8:12:32 PM
You could use it to fire a crossbow. You hold it flat and draw your finger back on the gamepad. You arm by moving the gamepad and fire by releasing your finger.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
#3uberking422Posted 3/15/2013 8:14:57 PM
I'd like to see a cooperative RTS type game where one player uses the gamepad to control units, while others use regular controllers to directly control special, powerful units.
#4metroidman92Posted 3/15/2013 8:26:26 PM
Pip-Boy for Fallout 4. Might pause the game itself when in use. Perhaps an option for that, or a part of hardcore mode.
---
This exchange is over.
#5GameKing59Posted 3/15/2013 10:13:10 PM
Hold the gamepad like a tray and tilt it around to roll a ball.
#6BoomerTheGreatPosted 3/15/2013 10:43:02 PM
Make it a gateway to PC games and use it like a mouce
---
Greatness comes from within
#7nonexistingheroPosted 3/16/2013 5:17:21 AM
Mystery/Puzzle game that shows first person view. The game itself is played in 3rd person. Guess it could be like a mix between LA Noire and Condemned.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#8nonexistingheroPosted 3/16/2013 5:22:24 AM
Oh, and another, perhaps nice idea. Would need some really great and smart design though.

Well, there's games that have you switching around worlds, like Soul Reaver. How about you make that 2 worlds at once (with a total of 4-6 or so worlds). Blending worlds will change physics, gravity, shape, color, etc. On top of this, you'll have to get through both games at once (one on TV, one on Gamepad). They could also choose to have a 3D world on the big screen and a 2D world for the gamepad.

If done well, I can see it become a really neat game.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#9crowe_1Posted 3/16/2013 5:54:29 AM
Use it to quickly select attacks/units in RTS or MMO-style games.

Easier menu navigation/attack selection in JRPGs. Could also add more interactivity to the attacks once selected. For example, you select your spell and then have to draw the correct rune under pressure to cast it or something.

Two-player co-op in pretty much any game that doesn't require touchpad use. Especially useful for games like Baldurs Gate or Champions of Norrath, where players normally would have to stay within a screen's distance from each other.

Simulated sword slashing in any direction; think Infinity Blade. Could be an alternative to the Wii remote in the next Zelda, which would cater to those who don't like motion controls while still allowing for the same style of precision-based combat.

Drawing back the slingshot in Zelda maybe?

Any game where your character has a cell phone or a handheld electronic device could have the gamepad as that device.

Use touch screen to manipulate the environment on the big screen to allow the player to progress. Creating platforms, moving blocks out of the way, separating enemies, taking their shields, etc. Rayman Legends does this to a point, but it could be used in single player games as well with a lot more environmental interaction. First or third person view on the TV, with a top-down camera on the gamepad maybe, where you can re-arrange where the walls are, drop ladders, knock down buildings, add new buildings, block alleyways to limit enemy movement if you are being chased, and allow your character to progress. All in real-time.

Along the same vein as the above, consider a "Max and the Magic Marker" style game where you draw objects on the gamepad and have them inserted in-game on the TV.

In horror games, hopefully a new Eternal Darkness but that will never happen, at tense parts the TV might randomly cut to the gamepad's filming you sitting on your couch (a la Nintendo Land's F-Zero and Octopus Dance games), with the lighting dimmed, and then show some ghost or creepy crawly coming up behind you.

Celestial brush in a new Okami (probably been done in DS game, I dunno)

Using it as a shield to deflect oncoming attacks (I think this is in Game and Wario). Gyro for shield bash.

Rear-view mirror in racing games. (Been done with PSP I think)

Second screen as a sniper scope. (Done in Zombi U already)
---
My SSBM combo vids:
http://www.youtube.com/user/crowe1
#10crowe_1Posted 3/16/2013 6:07:16 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
Oh, and another, perhaps nice idea. Would need some really great and smart design though.

Well, there's games that have you switching around worlds, like Soul Reaver. How about you make that 2 worlds at once (with a total of 4-6 or so worlds). Blending worlds will change physics, gravity, shape, color, etc. On top of this, you'll have to get through both games at once (one on TV, one on Gamepad). They could also choose to have a 3D world on the big screen and a 2D world for the gamepad.

If done well, I can see it become a really neat game.

This would be great. Switching between worlds on the fly to progress, manipulating one world to change the other, etc. Things that have been done before back as far as A Link to the Past (and probably further), except much more streamlined and in real-time, rather than having to make a change in the Light World, reach the Dark World portal, see what change occurred in the Dark World, go back to Light World portal if it didn't work, try again...
---
My SSBM combo vids:
http://www.youtube.com/user/crowe1