An article that almost gets it...

#1sejan12Posted 3/16/2013 7:19:06 AM
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/446576/20130315/wii-u-sales-outperform-playstation-3-xbox.htm

They correctly observe that when comparing the Wii U's launch to the PS360's launch, the Wii U's sales numbers are actually pretty decent. Following that insight, they return to the fail argument of comparing the Wii U's current sales to the PS360's current sales. I know comparing 2013 sales to 2013 sales sounds good, but there are far too many variables to even begin to draw conclusions. The fairest argument you can make is comparing launch sales to launch sales. After the Wii U brand is established, then you can compare whatever you want.

I can understand making an argument for how console sales should be compared one way or another, but this article tries to compare it both ways as if it were equal. Using both metrics makes for an inherently flawed argument.
#2TrueBlue91Posted 3/16/2013 7:31:38 AM
But after a good start Wii U is selling laughably badly now.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
#3IcedEarthaholicPosted 3/16/2013 7:36:39 AM
For the time being, yes, and as I stated, I believe it's karma saying "You can't get away with this forever." to those running Nintendo. They'll pull out of the slump they're in, but it's gonna take a while to do so, once E3 rolls around and they show off the big guns, everyone's gonna want one.
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#4NewbiusPosted 3/16/2013 7:37:36 AM
TrueBlue91 posted...
But after a good start Wii U is selling laughably badly now.

Well yeah right now anyways because there aren't many games out yet. Although there are quite a few titles coming out this month.
#5The_UrgePosted 3/16/2013 7:40:56 AM
Yeah but 57,000 and 64,000 in January and February respectively is abysmal no matter how you look at it.
#6meiyukiPosted 3/16/2013 7:49:30 AM
The_Urge posted...
Yeah but 57,000 and 64,000 in January and February respectively is abysmal no matter how you look at it.

You know what, I'll take the bait. Explain in detail exactly why this matters at all? What meaning does this have for the quality of the system, and explain how this is historically significant in light of other great systems of the past(not just one single generation ago but across the history of games)? And finally why are these number so much more important than the than the system's total sales figure which is actually higher than average?

I hope you can do this because otherwise people will know you're just an idiot.
#7The_UrgePosted 3/16/2013 8:07:52 AM
I ask you, why doesn't it matter? Especially when news sites (professionals in the industry, I might add) say it is terrible to only sell at those numbers? Hell, I'm not even in the videogame industry and I know that selling at those numbers in America is terrible. It's obvious to me you do not know how to run a business.
#8meiyukiPosted 3/16/2013 8:11:05 AM
So you have no answer, thanks for confirming exactly who you are.
#9The_UrgePosted 3/16/2013 8:12:05 AM
And neither do you, thanks for confirming you have absolutely no idea how the business world works.
#10meiyukiPosted 3/16/2013 8:26:43 AM
The_Urge posted...
And neither do you, thanks for confirming you have absolutely no idea how the business world works.

Ah but see I do, I gave you a chance and you decided to wallow in your own trolling. See if you knew anything historically about video games it would be that they don't typically hit their stride until their 3rd or 4th year. Let's look at say a little known system like the ps2. It laughed in october of 2000. You know what it sold in it's launch year? A time period slightly longer than than the wiiU had, specially since the ps2 launched as far back as march of that year in japan.

The answer would be, 1.4mil. Oh weird that's one of the best selling systems of all time. You know what outsold it that year? The dreamcast, the n64, and yes the ps1. Well what about the nes that was a good system? For american numbers(since the launches are so far off between japan and america) 1985: 90k units, 1986: 1mil units, 1987: 4mil. Hmm 1mil units in an entire year, 12 months, the wiiU did that in 2 months in america. Wow that's weird I thought the wiiU was selling terribly. If you can't do math 1mil in an entire year means it was selling on average less than 100k per month, for an entire year. Well then there's the ps1, in america in it's launch year(again a longer period than the wiiU) it sold 500k units, and 2mil it's second year.

I could go on of course, there's the ds and the 3ds, or even as we know the ps3 and 360, but again thank you for proving exactly who you are.