An article that almost gets it...

#21DiscostewSMPosted 3/16/2013 9:09:11 AM
Is 57k and 64k considered abysmal for a game-only device? People love to compare it to the PS3 and 360 which never got that low, but in the case of the PS3, it wasn't a game-only device. In fact, it was the cheapest Blu-Ray player at the time, and for being new tech on 2 levels, it had one week where it only sold ~26k in Japan.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#22DesperateMonkeyPosted 3/16/2013 9:13:12 AM
Quote:Is 57k and 64k considered abysmal for a game-only device? People love to compare it to the PS3 and 360 which never got that low, but in the case of the PS3, it wasn't a game-only device. In fact, it was the cheapest Blu-Ray player at the time, and for being new tech on 2 levels, it had one week where it only sold ~26k in Japan.
@DiscostewSM

You must be the only person in the world who thinks including bluray actually increased the PS3 sales. This argument is ridiculous
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#23slyman19Posted 3/16/2013 9:25:24 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
Quote:Is 57k and 64k considered abysmal for a game-only device? People love to compare it to the PS3 and 360 which never got that low, but in the case of the PS3, it wasn't a game-only device. In fact, it was the cheapest Blu-Ray player at the time, and for being new tech on 2 levels, it had one week where it only sold ~26k in Japan.
@DiscostewSM

You must be the only person in the world who thinks including bluray actually increased the PS3 sales. This argument is ridiculous

You must be joking......
#24Virus66Posted 3/16/2013 9:29:42 AM
slyman19 posted...
@DiscostewSM

You must be joking......

A lot of people who wanted bluray bought a PS3 strictly because it was the cheapest bluray player on the market. Granted, it may not have amounted to a lot of sales, but I know of a few people myself that did such a thing. I know a lot of people who bought a PS2 because of the DVD player as well.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#25DiscostewSMPosted 3/16/2013 9:32:53 AM
@DiscostewSM

Considering how stand-alone Blu-Ray players at the time were $800+, you tell me how a $599 PS3 that can play Blu-Ray movies didn't increase PS3 sales.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#26cmincPosted 3/16/2013 9:43:26 AM
As fun and entertaining as it to watch an obviously mistaken person attempt to hide his trolldom stupidity by pretending to be an arm chair ceo not interested in selling a million if anything because he WANTS to sell 1.3 million...

The thing to take away from the badass, informative launch list the one guy put up, is that CONSOLE LAUNCHES ARE HISTORICALLY MET WITH SLOW ADOPTION RATES.

You dont get to call something a failure because it only sold 100,000 units in the two months after it sold 3 million, especially if those numbers show that youre in a position to outperform and outpace almost everything thats ever hit the console gaming market WITHOUT SYSTEM SELLING GAMES.
---
---
#27JKatarnPosted 3/16/2013 9:55:21 AM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
2013 sales for the Wii U have been awful. The issue is not that it is being outsold by PS3/360, but that it is selling record breaking lows. Wii U sales are bad right now. Nintendo knows this, Gamestop knows this, Third party devs know this. The only people who seem out of the loop are the Nintendo fanboys who can't seem to fathom a Nintendo console not having great sales. I assume they were young during the n64/gamecube era, or at the very least, just as delusional.

Or they don't really care about sales figures and are too busy playing the games they enjoy? Some people actually you know, PLAY games, rather than troll consoles on the internet in their free time. Don't get me wrong, I personally don't own a Wii-U and don't plan to buy one in the immediate future, but if someone enjoys the games currently available/system as it is, more power to them.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#28JKatarnPosted 3/16/2013 9:58:36 AM
@DiscostewSM

I can't even comprehend how you would think the PS3 including quality blu-ray playback would have NO EFFECT on sales....do you not understand consumer electronics?
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#29Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 3/16/2013 10:04:16 AM
Or they don't really care about sales figures and are too busy playing the games they enjoy?

If they didn't care about sales they would stop making topics like this.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif
#30sonicsonicPosted 3/16/2013 10:09:45 AM
The_Urge posted...
sonicsonic posted...
The_Urge posted...
meiyuki posted...
The_Urge posted...
And neither do you, thanks for confirming you have absolutely no idea how the business world works.

Ah but see I do, I gave you a chance and you decided to wallow in your own trolling. See if you knew anything historically about video games it would be that they don't typically hit their stride until their 3rd or 4th year. Let's look at say a little known system like the ps2. It laughed in october of 2000. You know what it sold in it's launch year? A time period slightly longer than than the wiiU had, specially since the ps2 launched as far back as march of that year in japan.

The answer would be, 1.4mil. Oh weird that's one of the best selling systems of all time. You know what outsold it that year? The dreamcast, the n64, and yes the ps1. Well what about the nes that was a good system? For american numbers(since the launches are so far off between japan and america) 1985: 90k units, 1986: 1mil units, 1987: 4mil. Hmm 1mil units in an entire year, 12 months, the wiiU did that in 2 months in america. Wow that's weird I thought the wiiU was selling terribly. If you can't do math 1mil in an entire year means it was selling on average less than 100k per month, for an entire year. Well then there's the ps1, in america in it's launch year(again a longer period than the wiiU) it sold 500k units, and 2mil it's second year.

I could go on of course, there's the ds and the 3ds, or even as we know the ps3 and 360, but again thank you for proving exactly who you are.

Wait so you're whole argument is a comparison of sales numbers today compared to 6+ years ago? WOW! OK there...... I don't even know whether to laugh at you or feel sorry for you. Again, learn a thing or two about running a business before you make yourself look like a fool to the world.

You seem like the fool too me. You think businesses don't look 6 years into the past and 6 years into the future ? Sony were planning a 10 year shelf life for the PS3.

The guy gives facts and figures proving his argument and all you can say is that they are 6 years old ? If we can't compare the WiiU too sales of consoles six years ago, what can we compare them too ? The PS4 hasn't been released. Other consoles are outselling it, but they have been released for a far longer time, have bundles and far more extensive selection of games.

I'm no business brain, but I know a little and some people on here seem too know far less...

Holy crap do I really have to explain it? If system A sold a million and it was considered a success 6 years ago it doesn't mean that system B is a success if it sold 1.3 million today. The market has changed. It works just like money. As a smart business man you always want to improve exponentially as time passes. In the example of the 57k and 64k respectively the numbers are low by today's standards. That was the point- nothing to do with how it will sell in the future.

The numbers are low, but the point was that previous consoles that have had slow starts have sold well. 57K and 64K are low numbers, but compared to what standards? The WiiU is the only home console that has been launched in 7 years... There is no standard going from your logic.