Walking Dead SI isn't awful

#1Ambassador_KongPosted 3/16/2013 11:57:41 AM
I had three games to look at this weekend - Need for Speed (awesome), Monster Hunter Tri (I mean 3 Ultimate), and Walking Dead Survival Instinct. I put Walking Dead off since I thought it would be terrible, but it's actually a bit of fun. The graphics are pretty ugly although I think the zombies look good up close. Zombies will go through walls when hit, so the game is not polished at all. Still it's a fairly decent FPS with missions (find batteries, get food, etc....)

The zombies are fairly simple one on one, but they will swarm you. I've died four times in the first town so the game isn't too easy.

You start off as Daryl's dad on a hunting trip, but become Daryl after the inevitable zombie bite that kills off the father. You can move between destinations using highways, roads, or backroads and your route will determine how much gas you use and how many supplies you can scavenge.

Voice acting is okay, but the unpolished graphics really make the attempts at acting fall flat.

So, from my hour or so of playing, it's not the disaster many were predicting, but it isn't anything special either.The graphics and lack of game engine polish are a disappointment, but the combat is pretty fun and shooting zombies is quite satisfying.

Too early for a final score but I'm thinking somewhere between a C and a B-.
---
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi.
#2Baha05Posted 3/16/2013 11:59:39 AM
So roughly around a 7/10
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#3Ambassador_Kong(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 12:01:33 PM
Baha05 posted...
So roughly around a 7/10

Too early for a final decision, but I would say a 7/10 is pretty good.
---
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi.
#4Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 3/16/2013 12:04:21 PM
Baha05 posted...
So roughly around a 7/10

So it is kind of like Lego city Quality?
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif
#5Ambassador_Kong(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 12:11:12 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Baha05 posted...
So roughly around a 7/10

Didn't get Lego City for the weekend play sessions, but I've seen that scoring quite well in the gaming press. I imagine that it is a much better game than this one. I can't comment until I've aged it though.
---
#6Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 3/16/2013 12:26:55 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Baha05 posted...
So roughly around a 7/10

Didn't get Lego City for the weekend play sessions, but I've seen that scoring quite well in the gaming press. I imagine that it is a much better game than this one. I can't comment until I've aged it though.

It is averaging a 79 on metacritc so much better may be an overstatement.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif
#7Jaime_BennPosted 3/16/2013 12:45:21 PM
I pretty much thought it would at least be a fun game. It's made by the Ghostbusters developers, and that game was pretty fun.
---
According to Pachter, my i5 and 7850 is weak :(
#8Ambassador_Kong(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 1:46:23 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Baha05 posted...
So roughly around a 7/10

It is averaging a 79 on metacritc so much better may be an overstatement.

Like I said before, I can't comment because someone didn't get my copy to me yet. It's coming Monday. I don't trust Metacritic anymore than Rotten Tomatoes. I know the critics that I trust and I pay attention to them. I like Jim Sterling when he rips on the industry, but I rarely like the same games as he does. IGN gave the new Castlevania a 4.5 and I have a serious problem with that score. You give a 4.5 to a broken game and that game was far from broken

Ill let you know my opinion on Lego City on Monday.

Walking Dead is a bit of a surprise. It's much better than I thought. Not worth full price, but a good deal at $20.
---
#9shinra35800Posted 3/16/2013 1:52:09 PM
it has:

-wii lower-end graphics

-playdoh hair

-choppy movement from the protagonist and the enemies

-screen tearing

-racist merle

no thanks.
#10Mattatron42Posted 3/16/2013 2:38:20 PM
Thanks for some early impressions on these games. I will probably pick up NFS and Lego City next week.
---
3ds fc: 4940-5666-3487
NNID: Mattatron