What do you want from a new Metroid U game?

#31CSplitterPosted 3/16/2013 2:53:41 PM
2D would be great. In the vein of Zero Mission or Super Metroid.

Otherwise, I'd like to see how the early vision of Prime in 3rd person would work out.
---
~.~
#32RugterWyper32Posted 3/16/2013 2:57:56 PM(edited)
- If they go back to Other M style, use everything the controller has to offer. I don't want another autoaim situation because they didn't think of using both nunchuck and wiimote or having to use a directional pad instead of an analogue stick for a 3D GAME. Man that was annoying

- Actual exploration and no external element telling you "Hey you gotta do this and that". Other M was the biggest offender, but Fusion and Prime 3 also had that issue. At least Prime 3 had impressive locales with some sort of exploration and Fusion had some interesting locations to make up for that, but still.

- NO "GET ALL THESE ITEMS TO GET TO THE END" PART. Prime 1 had some issues with it, even though it could be interesting at points (Phazon Elite). Prime 2 was hellish backtracking incarnate and the chase for the items felt rather mindless, just getting to a room, getting to the spot where it is, using Dark Visor and getting the thing. At least Prime 3 made it interesting and you only needed half of the energy cells to get what you needed, the rest actually gave you something else (yay for expansions).

- Bump up on the tension. Other M was rather pathetic. Even Nightmare didn't freak me out as much as he did in, you know, A GBA GAME. Other M was weak in that sense. The Prime games, Super and Fusion got it right, I want them to expand on it.

- More clever items and usage for them. Like Metroid Prime 3 did with the Grapple Beam/Lasso/thing that transfers energy.

- A good variety of beam weapons. While the good ol' weapons are cool, the Prime trilogy did something nice with variety. I liked newly introduced weapons such as the Nova Beam, the elements for the main beams, beam/missile combos. It made things more interesting. I feel that with the touchscreen they could do something like going up to 8 types of beams and be able to change it with the WiiU screen without much issue. I feel it could be interesting.

- Story-wise, a sequel to Fusion. Put the ideas they had for 1.5 to work, if not all then some. The Mad AI sounded like an amazing idea, it would be ingenious.

- Some old bosses in 3D. I still want to see Kraid in 3D. That dragon thing (you know, the snake-dragon one) from Maridia, too. And Torizo.

- A variety of interesting locations, ranging from beautiful (on the vein of Phendrana Drifts and Skytown) to outright terrifying (Take the Valhalla a step further down the line of horror). Create some nice contrast and have a buildup between the beauty and the horror. Make it subtly change from one end to the other..

Yep, I think that covers it more or less.
---
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/rugterwyper32
Currently playing: Spyro the Dragon 2, Morrowind, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages
#33Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 2:55:37 PM
I would like for it to have at least one level that looks like this:
http://www.gamnesia.com/images/uploads/Ishimura.jpg
#34SocranPosted 3/16/2013 3:11:30 PM(edited)
STN79 posted...
It's crazy how some people thought Samus was this hardened emotionless killer before Other M came out. All their preconceived notions turned out false and they wanna act like Metroid was ruined. OMG she's a human being with feelings noooo!
You Other M haters are so silly. I fear the day when and if Link ever gets a voice.

To be fair, that game did have pretty bad writing. But yeah, people tend to miss the point on where the writing was actually bad, and act like Samus is supposed to be an emotionless space robot altogether. They just need to get rid of the ridiculous mother/baby metaphors and stuff like that. Her character wasn't ruined, it was just delivered all wrong.

Another thing people never seem to notice is that every time Samus learned that Ridley was still alive, she was unable to deal with the situation properly until she had several hours (or years) of mental prep time. Super Metroid? He whoops her ass while his hands are full. Prime? She just watches as he goes all undead cyborg activation sequence and flies away. That's what happens when you see the guy who murdered your parents come back from the dead. It takes a second to sink in. Just... maybe don't spend that second being superimposed with an image of a scared little girl. >.>

Anywho, as for a Wii U Metroid... Preferably no 2D, which I hope they'll put in a 3DS game soon. If it's 3D, I think I'd prefer first person like in Prime, as I feel that worked better with the whole exploration aspect. Maybe certain advanced platforming can be in third person (like the Screw Attack in Prime 2 and 3), but we don't need to shy away from first person just because shooters do it too much. Myst did it, too.

Really, as much as I'm hoping for something new from Retro, I would love a Prime 4 about now. If nothing else, I hope it doesn't have too much focus on action, as those kinds of games are becoming too common these days, and the game will just be criticized for not being God of War enough if it tries to do the same without matching them. To be perfectly honest, if we're to see a high-paced brawler in a Nintendo setting, I kind of want it to be an F-Zero spinoff...
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#35bskiffingtonPosted 3/16/2013 3:19:20 PM
Non-existance

Give Metroid a break, the last few games have been terrible
#36wiiking96Posted 3/16/2013 3:42:42 PM(edited)
Socran posted...
Super Metroid? He whoops her ass while his hands are full.

Incorrect: Samus shoots him to near defeat, he almost loses the Baby Metroid and retreats.

Prime? She just watches as he goes all undead cyborg activation sequence and flies away.

Ridley wasn't in a place where Samus could do anything, Ridley ran away after only a few seconds, and she was kind of trying to escape a ship that was about to blow up.

That's what happens when you see the guy who murdered your parents come back from the dead. It takes a second to sink in. Just... maybe don't spend that second being superimposed with an image of a scared little girl. >.>

Samus did absolutely nothing for about 3 minutes while Ridley was exposed and vulnerable.

EDIT: And also, here's how Samus reacts to Ridley in all the other occasions.

Zero Mission: Ridley swoops down on her; she immediately starts pummeling him with missiles.

Metroid Prime(2nd time): Ridley flies in and attacks Samus; Samus starts fighting him as soon as she's able to hit him.

Corruption(1st time): Ridley catches her off guard and pulls her down a long shaft; Samus starts fighting back as soon as possible.

Corruption(2nd time): Ridley swoops in and attacks Samus; Samus swiftly dodges all his attacks, observes his new state and weak point, and starts blasting away.

Super Metroid(2nd time): Ridley reveals himself; Samus starts fighting right away.

Fusion: Same as in Super.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#37Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 3:26:22 PM
bskiffington posted...
Non-existance

We will give you Other M, but you had better have some amazing logic behind your opinion on the Primes,
or GTFO.
#38bskiffingtonPosted 3/16/2013 3:30:03 PM
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
bskiffington posted...
Non-existance

We will give you Other M, but you had better have some amazing logic behind your opinion on the Primes,
or GTFO.

1-2 were great, 3 took away everything that was good about the Prime series. The only saving grace for 3 was how great the controls were.
#39QueezZeenartPosted 3/16/2013 3:30:56 PM
2D with a huge map.
#40S_FoxPosted 3/16/2013 3:36:07 PM
1-2 were great, 3 took away everything that was good about the Prime series. The only saving grace for 3 was how great the controls were.

too many wimps whined about the difficulty of 2 so they went to hand holding in 3 instead of just making a super easy mode for people who suck
---
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem Awakening, Borderlands