What do you want from a new Metroid U game?

#41bskiffingtonPosted 3/16/2013 2:38:40 PM
S_Fox posted...
1-2 were great, 3 took away everything that was good about the Prime series. The only saving grace for 3 was how great the controls were.

too many wimps whined about the difficulty of 2 so they went to hand holding in 3 instead of just making a super easy mode for people who suck

It wasnt just the difficulty. It didnt feel like a Metroid game. You never got that feeling of being alone like you did in the first two, exploration wasn't that great either.
#42zender1999Posted 3/16/2013 2:46:40 PM
i would love a new character, maybe a male or a cyborg, enough of samus
make it interesting
#43Traptin3daysPosted 3/16/2013 2:53:55 PM
zender1999 posted...
make it interesting

Why enough of Samus? O.o
---
My dad gave me some advice before he died. He said, son, if you see a beautiful woman, you have to flirt with her. It's rude not to. - Lowell
#44zender1999Posted 3/16/2013 3:00:50 PM
Traptin3days posted...
zender1999 posted...
make it interesting

Why enough of Samus? O.o

expand the world, it needs freshness,it has been samus since the 80', the game is called metroid not samus
i want a new main character in the metroid world add some eternal darkness in it....
#45SocranPosted 3/16/2013 3:10:54 PM(edited)
wiiking96 posted...
Socran posted...
Super Metroid? He whoops her ass while his hands are full.

Incorrect: Samus shoots him to near defeat, he almost loses the Baby Metroid and retreats.

Prime? She just watches as he goes all undead cyborg activation sequence and flies away.

Ridley wasn't in a place where Samus could do anything, Ridley ran away after only a few seconds, and she was kind of trying to escape a ship that was about to blow up.

That's what happens when you see the guy who murdered your parents come back from the dead. It takes a second to sink in. Just... maybe don't spend that second being superimposed with an image of a scared little girl. >.>

Samus did absolutely nothing for about 3 minutes while Ridley was exposed and vulnerable.

EDIT: And also, here's how Samus reacts to Ridley in all the other occasions.

Zero Mission: Ridley swoops down on her; she immediately starts pummeling him with missiles.

Metroid Prime(2nd time): Ridley flies in and attacks Samus; Samus starts fighting him as soon as she's able to hit him.

Corruption(1st time): Ridley catches her off guard and pulls her down a long shaft; Samus starts fighting back as soon as possible.

Corruption(2nd time): Ridley swoops in and attacks Samus; Samus swiftly dodges all his attacks, observes his new state and weak point, and starts blasting away.

Super Metroid(2nd time): Ridley reveals himself; Samus starts fighting right away.

Fusion: Same as in Super.

In Super Metroid, you're expected to lose very quickly, and he leaves when you're low on health. Making him drop the Metroid is just a challenge for veteran players' sake. Either way, he wasn't even trying.

And as I said, in every other instance, she's had between a few hours and a few years to prepare herself. Original? She's been training her whole life for revenge. Prime? Just hunted him across a planet. Prime 3? Catches her off-guard in a tunnel where she can only dodge, then later drags her down a pit where all she can do is fire wildly into his open mouth. She beats him for real later when she has prep time. Super? Prep time after the initial loss. Fusion? Prep time after witnessing the X absorb his corpse.

When your parents' killer comes back from the dead in the first game that really focuses on story, you can't just say "Oh, this guy again" and start shooting. You just... have to do it better than it was done in Other M.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#46Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 3:15:24 PM
bskiffington posted...
It wasnt just the difficulty. It didnt feel like a Metroid game. You never got that feeling of being alone like you did in the first two, exploration wasn't that great either.

I see what you mean.
I felt the same way the first time that I played through it. I never liked the GF, they seem Empire-like, IMO.
I also agree that the feeling of isolation was gone, too, for the most part.
It plays a big part in setting the tone of the game.

HOWEVER, I am going to point out that despite that "feeling", it was not (as you put it) terrible.
Corruption innovated on many powers and certain concepts for Prime:
1) Use of the Grapple Beam to grab, pull, and alter energy in enemies.
2) Nova beam ('nuff said)
3) Implementing a "corruption" system. The more power you get, the more corrupted you become.
4) Hyper-mode. Funnest part at the end of Prime 1 now can be activated on cool-down... but with a twist. If you do not manage it well, you will become "corrupted" and become the new Dark Samus then GAME OVER.
5) Operation of Samus's Gunship (even if we didn't get to fly it). We were able to upgrade it, pick-up parts in our tractor-beam, call for bombings, and even land at certain sites.

And I'm going to have to outright disagree with you on the exploration.
6) You get to visit multiple planets, with great variety of atmosphere. Best examples being the beautiful SkyTown and creepy (near-horror) ship, Valhalla.

zender1999 posted...
make it interesting

At that point, you might as well go with a completely new IP.
There is always room for one more...
#47Traptin3daysPosted 3/16/2013 3:22:32 PM
zender1999 posted...
Traptin3days posted...
zender1999 posted...
make it interesting

Why enough of Samus? O.o

expand the world, it needs freshness,it has been samus since the 80', the game is called metroid not samus
i want a new main character in the metroid world add some eternal darkness in it....

Well then we might as well get rid of Link.
---
My dad gave me some advice before he died. He said, son, if you see a beautiful woman, you have to flirt with her. It's rude not to. - Lowell
#48wiiking96Posted 3/16/2013 3:24:24 PM
Socran posted...
In Super Metroid, you're expected to lose very quickly, and he leaves when you're low on health. Making him drop the Metroid is just a challenge for veteran players' sake. Either way, he wasn't even trying.

I would personally say that the option where Samus is most competent is the canon one. Losing that battle is the players fault; it's just that you don't get a game over if you retreat.

If the option where Samus technically loses is the canon one, then that's due to Samus being extremely underpowered. Samus in Other M was far more powerful, and yet she still broke down. At least Samus in Super Metroid stood her ground and fought as any mentally stable, confident and brave person would do with her abilities,

And as I said, in every other instance, she's had between a few hours and a few years to prepare herself. Original? She's been training her whole life for revenge.

The manga shouldn't even be considered canon because it contradicts Other M; Because of this, you can't claim that Samus even knew Ridley before originally fighting him.

Prime 3? Catches her off-guard in a tunnel where she can only dodge, then later drags her down a pit where all she can do is fire wildly into his open mouth.
The point is that she keeps her cool in an extremely stressful situation as opposes to Other M when she had a really easy and long opportunity attack Ridley, but breaks down in shock and fear for several minutes.

Prime? Just hunted him across a planet. She beats him for real later when she has prep time. Super? Prep time after the initial loss. Fusion? Prep time after witnessing the X absorb his corpse.

You're correct here, but it doesn't matter.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#49Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 3:26:23 PM
Socran posted...
When your parents' killer comes back from the dead in the first game that really focuses on story, you can't just say "Oh, this guy again" and start shooting. You just... have to do it better than it was done in Other M.

I'm not questioning why the nemesis of the series is a Space-Dargon, however, I do wish to point out that the mental break-down in Other M is really uncalled for since the events of Other M come AFTER Metroid(original), Prime, Hunters, Echoes, Corruption, Metroid 2, and Super. She has fought this Space-Dargon before, and he always comes back. Again, and again, and again, and again. She really shouldn't be surprised after the fifth time.

Mario is never that surprised when *blank* decides to *blank* princess *blank*.
#50ZarethPosted 3/16/2013 3:26:54 PM
2.5 D, focused on exploration and atmosphere rather than story or combat.

Hopefully made by Retro. It's quite possible, as DKCR showed that they can do 2.5 D well and they've said they're working on a project "everyone wants them to do."
---
It's okay, I have no idea who I am either.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/sage_assassin20/13295475117601.gif http://i.imgur.com/WOo6wcq.png