What do you want from a new Metroid U game?

#51Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 4:29:31 PM
wiiking96 posted...

The manga shouldn't even be considered canon because it contradicts Other M; Because of this, you can't claim that Samus even knew Ridley before originally fighting him.

I've never considered the manga to be canon.
Seemed more like a well-illustrated fan-fic.
#52super_taco_ftwPosted 3/16/2013 4:30:02 PM
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
shaunme posted...
No goddam motion controls
lulz

Fair enough.

Although, it is possible that Nintendo's devs could have looked at the scanner from ZombiU and then when "You know what that reminds me of?".

Didn't they do that in one if the earlier WiiU trailers? The footage was from Prime 1, but they were using the Gamepad as the scanner.
---
What is the Air Speed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow?
Black 2 FC: 0433 6165 7990
#53Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 4:33:04 PM
super_taco_ftw posted...
Didn't they do that in one if the earlier WiiU trailers? The footage was from Prime 1, but they were using the Gamepad as the scanner.

No, but it was one of the first things I thought of when I saw it for the first time.

No, but they showed the gamepad being used in that way for a bunch of other games, namely WarioWare and "KillerFreaksFromOutOfSpace" which was later overhauled.
#54Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 5:02:05 PM
RugterWyper32 posted...
- Bump up on the tension. Other M was weak in that sense. The Prime games, Super and Fusion got it right, I want them to expand on it.

- More clever items and usage for them. Like Metroid Prime 3 did with the Grapple Beam/Lasso/thing that transfers energy.

- A good variety of beam weapons.

- Story-wise, a sequel to Fusion. Put the ideas they had for 1.5 to work, if not all then some. The Mad AI sounded like an amazing idea, it would be ingenious.

- Some old bosses in 3D. I still want to see Kraid in 3D. That dragon thing (you know, the snake-dragon one) from Maridia, too. And Torizo.

- A variety of interesting locations, ranging from beautiful (on the vein of Phendrana Drifts and Skytown) to outright terrifying (Take the Valhalla a step further down the line of horror). Create some nice contrast and have a buildup between the beauty and the horror. Make it subtly change from one end to the other.

Basically this.
#55SocranPosted 3/16/2013 5:18:24 PM(edited)
wiiking96 posted...
The manga shouldn't even be considered canon because it contradicts Other M; Because of this, you can't claim that Samus even knew Ridley before originally fighting him.

Ridley was established as the one who killed Samus's parents on K-2L long before the manga was ever made. It's part of the same backstory that mentions Samus being raised by the Chozo and receiving their blood, which is referenced several times throughout the rest of the series.

RugterWyper32 posted...
That dragon thing (you know, the snake-dragon one) from Maridia, too.

Botwoon.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#56wiiking96Posted 3/16/2013 5:17:55 PM
Socran posted...
wiiking96 posted...

Ridley was established as the one who killed Samus's parents on K-2L long before the manga was ever made. It's part of the same backstory that mentions Samus being raised by the Chozo and receiving their blood, which is referenced several times throughout the rest of the series.

Give a specific example.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#57SocranPosted 3/16/2013 5:19:52 PM
wiiking96 posted...
Socran posted...
wiiking96 posted...

Give a specific example.

It was all over the place. The instruction manuals, Nintendo Power (back when Super Metroid was still recent)... It was just an established fact about Samus's backstory. I don't carry around a box full of Metroid-related articles cut out of magazines and manuals.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#58RugterWyper32Posted 3/16/2013 5:27:35 PM
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
1) Use of the Grapple Beam to grab, pull, and alter energy in enemies.
2) Nova beam ('nuff said)
3) Implementing a "corruption" system. The more power you get, the more corrupted you become.
4) Hyper-mode. Funnest part at the end of Prime 1 now can be activated on cool-down... but with a twist. If you do not manage it well, you will become "corrupted" and become the new Dark Samus then GAME OVER.
5) Operation of Samus's Gunship (even if we didn't get to fly it). We were able to upgrade it, pick-up parts in our tractor-beam, call for bombings, and even land at certain sites.

And I'm going to have to outright disagree with you on the exploration.
6) You get to visit multiple planets, with great variety of atmosphere. Best examples being the beautiful SkyTown and creepy (near-horror) ship, Valhalla.

I might add, there's an element of Metroid Prime 3 that usually isn't mentioned, but I feel it could be the base for great elements in the future: The uses of the beams as something other than alternate weapons/use this to open x type of door. While the other two Prime games started something, like the Wave Beam being used to power up some doors and the Plasma beam used to melt some stuff (which worked mostly for expansions and two artifacts) and the Annihilator beam with the Echo Visor added the sound puzzles, Prime 3 really gave each beam more use than those two. Fixing damaged panels and melting stuff with the Plasma Beam, which worked quite well, and getting past Phazite panels and getting weak points of enemies combined with the X-Ray visor to kill them instantly.
I feel that, given more use and expanding on what each beam could do in such cases (as they clearly have multiple uses) it could make for some great puzzles. Going back to choosing beams and adding combinations of situations to create puzzles would work really well.
---
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/rugterwyper32
Currently playing: Spyro the Dragon 2, Morrowind, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages
#59Cyb0rg_RaidenPosted 3/16/2013 5:29:18 PM
Something similar to the Prime series.
#60wiiking96Posted 3/16/2013 5:29:45 PM
Socran posted...
wiiking96 posted...
Socran posted...
wiiking96 posted...

Give a specific example.

It was all over the place. The instruction manuals, Nintendo Power (back when Super Metroid was still recent)... It was just an established fact about Samus's backstory. I don't carry around a box full of Metroid-related articles cut out of magazines and manuals.

I have no reason to take your word for it if you don't provide valid evidence.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!