What do you want from a new Metroid U game?

#61Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 5:32:03 PM
RugterWyper32 posted...

I might add, there's an element of Metroid Prime 3 that usually isn't mentioned, but I feel it could be the base for great elements in the future: The uses of the beams as something other than alternate weapons/use this to open x type of door. While the other two Prime games started something, like the Wave Beam being used to power up some doors and the Plasma beam used to melt some stuff (which worked mostly for expansions and two artifacts) and the Annihilator beam with the Echo Visor added the sound puzzles, Prime 3 really gave each beam more use than those two. Fixing damaged panels and melting stuff with the Plasma Beam, which worked quite well, and getting past Phazite panels and getting weak points of enemies combined with the X-Ray visor to kill them instantly.
I feel that, given more use and expanding on what each beam could do in such cases (as they clearly have multiple uses) it could make for some great puzzles. Going back to choosing beams and adding combinations of situations to create puzzles would work really well.

You are absolutely correct. I forgot about that. It's been a while since I played Corruption.

Cyb0rg_Raiden posted...
Something similar to the Prime series.

Yep.
#62levelmaster2Posted 3/16/2013 5:33:32 PM
The same motion controls in the Prime trilogy.
---
"Really? Are you sure he doesn't normally speak in pirate?"
#63RugterWyper32Posted 3/16/2013 5:40:23 PM
You know what I wouldn't mind? Third person on the main screen, first person on the WiiU controller. I think that would be an interesting concept to work with. I'm sure they could make it work.
---
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/rugterwyper32
Currently playing: Spyro the Dragon 2, Morrowind, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages
#64Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 5:43:54 PM
wiiking96 posted...
Socran posted...
wiiking96 posted...
Socran posted...
wiiking96 posted...
The manga shouldn't even be considered canon because it contradicts Other M; Because of this, you can't claim that Samus even knew Ridley before originally fighting him.

Ridley was established as the one who killed Samus's parents on K-2L long before the manga was ever made. It's part of the same backstory that mentions Samus being raised by the Chozo and receiving their blood, which is referenced several times throughout the rest of the series.

Give a specific example.

It was all over the place. The instruction manuals, Nintendo Power (back when Super Metroid was still recent)... It was just an established fact about Samus's backstory. I don't carry around a box full of Metroid-related articles cut out of magazines and manuals.

I have no reason to take your word for it if you don't provide valid evidence.

This is a really stupid argument over lore.
If it really bothers the two of you that much, you can look it up in a Wiki.

As for my opinion, I think that it goes without saying that Samus has always been portrayed as a stronger figure (emotionally) in every other Metroid game, more than Other M.

Sakamoto said that in later games like Super Metroid, that they were heavily influenced by (1986) Aliens, so if anything, Samus's personality should be modeled after Sigourney Weaver role as Ellen Ripley.
#65leopoldsharkPosted 3/16/2013 5:52:42 PM
Things I want:

-Scan Visor. I like reading little blurbs of information about the flora and fauna of alien planets, as well as different enemies. The Pirate Data logs and Chozo Lore also fleshed out the world in a way that a cutscene couldn't dream of.
-First Person gameplay like the Primes, but I wouldn't mind if they did a 2D one with graphics with the same quality as DKCR. The environments also need to be interesting, unlike Other M. Valhalla showed how you could make a spaceship/space station setting interesting without having to add fire/ice/jungle levels (although admittedly, that's pretty much what they did to Bryyo).
-Extended use of the Ship and/or Ship sections implemented (Starfox-esque parts of the game). Being able to call down missile strikes was a very cool idea, but the places you could do it in Prime 3 were very limited (plus Jamming radars were always in places where you could, making those sections somewhat of a pain).
-Remember the Chozo? Yeah, I'd like to see a little more mention from them. Last time they were really brought up were in Prime 2 with the Luminoth having made contact with the Chozo and basing much of their technology from Chozo tech.
#66Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 5:52:54 PM
RugterWyper32 posted...
You know what I wouldn't mind? Third person on the main screen, first person on the WiiU controller. I think that would be an interesting concept to work with. I'm sure they could make it work.

I never really understood why one would want a third-person Metroid game.
From a technical aspect, that is.
FP is better for shooting.
Side perspective is better for platforming.
3rd is just a sort of limbo, IMO.

Personally, I think that the 3rd person perspective is better for melee heavy games, like Legend of Zelda, or Devil May Cry, or God of War, or Jak and Daxter.

However... with two screens, it could be possible to have a 2D perspective on one and a 1st person perspective on the other, and even be able to switch the two, like in the Wii U's opening screen.
#67MelkacPosted 3/16/2013 5:56:04 PM
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
masa8mune posted...
no first person.

What's wrong with first person, the Primes were great.

Nothing wrong, he's just blinded by nostalgia and/or wants to live in the past.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA
#68RugterWyper32Posted 3/16/2013 5:56:05 PM
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
RugterWyper32 posted...

I never really understood why one would want a third-person Metroid game.
From a technical aspect, that is.
FP is better for shooting.
Side perspective is better for platforming.
3rd is just a sort of limbo, IMO.

Personally, I think that the 3rd person perspective is better for melee heavy games, like Legend of Zelda, or Devil May Cry, or God of War, or Jak and Daxter.

However... with two screens, it could be possible to have a 2D perspective on one and a 1st person perspective on the other, and even be able to switch the two, like in the Wii U's opening screen.

Hmm, you've got a point.
To be honest, I'd prefer a full-on first person game, but I was thinking along the lines of seeing everything around Samus on the main screen and having the controller work as seeing through her visor and having the beams/visors/missile ammo count there. But I'm not sure how that'd work, admittedly.
---
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/rugterwyper32
Currently playing: Spyro the Dragon 2, Morrowind, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages
#69InfamouslyNycePosted 3/16/2013 6:35:39 PM
I want a Metroid game that plays in 2D and 3D at the same time on each screen. I want the close quarters combat that Other M has with Primes shooting combat meshed together and interchangeable between button inputs on the gamepad. I'd like the large scale labyrinths I've become accustomed to since the original, explorable in 2D and 3D.

Online is important, but won't change my mind about buying it.
---
Nintendo Network ID: Inf4mous
#70marioman87Posted 3/16/2013 6:48:07 PM
You know everything Super and the Primes did right? Do that again.
---
Dear spambots: here's my email, give me spam! spamitupyeah@gmail.com