How many people plan on playing Monster Hunter for the first time?

#51rawxfoxdogPosted 3/17/2013 7:40:35 PM
Ordered both from amazon
---
Nintendo id: Rawxfoxdog
#52Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 3/17/2013 8:26:56 PM
Ok. Why are you trolling wii u board anyway? do u even have wii u?

Had one and sold it. I visit this board because it is entertaining.

MH has a HUGE fanbase

In Japan. It's not particularly HUGE anywhere else, at least not in the West.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif
#53_Sovereign_Posted 3/17/2013 11:08:26 PM
Gogito4 posted...
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
I feel sorry for anybody that has to play it for the first time. They are going to see all of the hype that this game is getting (stemming from a lack of quality software on the wii u) and unknowingly end up with this clunky grindfest.

Thank for you for publicizing this game. We all know how "valid" your opinions are.

Sadly, for once I agree with him, though his comment on the "lack of quality software" is a complete lie. The hype surrounding this game had me excited for when the demo came out. Hell, I already had the game preordered along with Lego City. Once the demo released, I tried it on both the Wii U first, then 3DS, and I honestly don't see what it is you fans see in it. It's slow, clunky, cheap......I mean, when I saw the character physically put his weapon away to take out a potion, then do a cheap pose, then get knocked out of said pose only to see that if the animation isn't completed, it must be done again, it really turned me off. I cancelled my preorder immediately.

Since then I've tried once or twice more ( and successfully beaten both bosses) before deleting the demo but still can't get over how "sludgy" the gameplay feels. I'm glad you guys are excited for it though, and wish I could see what you see.
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#54Rasputin77Posted 3/18/2013 6:08:36 AM
Gogito4 posted...
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
I feel sorry for anybody that has to play it for the first time. They are going to see all of the hype that this game is getting (stemming from a lack of quality software on the wii u) and unknowingly end up with this clunky grindfest.

Thank for you for publicizing this game. We all know how easily your opinions bother us, triggering some of the most predictable responses since Pavlov's dog.

Exactly... why can't some of you be more honest like this chap!? =)

LOL @ 'clunky grindfest'. U jus dunno how to play teh game, maaaaaan...
---
Finding what button to press on most boards: http://alturl.com/73wtb
Finding what button to press on the Wii U board: http://alturl.com/nscvx
#55CGoblinsPosted 3/18/2013 6:30:22 AM
I've never played. Plan on getting it.

Is the view similar to Nintendo Land? Because that makes me sick. Thanks.

Can I use Pro remote?
---
PSN: Ray-Martin82
Playing: Nothing
#56crowe_1Posted 3/18/2013 8:11:33 AM
_Sovereign_ posted...
Gogito4 posted...
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...

Thank for you for publicizing this game. We all know how "valid" your opinions are.

Sadly, for once I agree with him, though his comment on the "lack of quality software" is a complete lie. The hype surrounding this game had me excited for when the demo came out. Hell, I already had the game preordered along with Lego City. Once the demo released, I tried it on both the Wii U first, then 3DS, and I honestly don't see what it is you fans see in it. It's slow, clunky, cheap......I mean, when I saw the character physically put his weapon away to take out a potion, then do a cheap pose, then get knocked out of said pose only to see that if the animation isn't completed, it must be done again, it really turned me off. I cancelled my preorder immediately.

Since then I've tried once or twice more ( and successfully beaten both bosses) before deleting the demo but still can't get over how "sludgy" the gameplay feels. I'm glad you guys are excited for it though, and wish I could see what you see.

A big part of the appeal of Monster Hunter comes from looting corpses and using the parts to craft new armor and weapons, which, when worn in certain combinations with skill gems, give your hunter special advantages. Better armor gives you more room to mess up fighting harder monsters and still succeed, though technically you can beat any monster with any armor set without getting hit. This aspect of the game is totally absent from the demo.

You need to kill and loot the same monster multiple times to get enough parts to craft a full armor set, however, which is where the "grinding" comes in. Killing the same monster over and over again takes time, but the payoff can be big; this creates a logical incentive to learn to beat the monsters faster and more efficiently.

This is the other, and arguably the primary big appeal offered by Monster Hunter: the combat is actually very deep, and learning to quickly beat once seemingly insurmountable monsters is extremely rewarding and satisfying. Through planning what items to take with you; through wearing the armor with the best equipped skills to counter the monster's specific attacks; and most importantly, through learning the monster's attack patterns and figuring out when and where are the best times to hit it safely, you will shave off more and more time off your runs. Eventually, you will be beating bosses in 10 minutes or less that, initially, you couldn't do enough damage to finish off in the 50 minute time limit.

Unfortunately, this last aspect of the game doesn't become apparent until 20 or 30 hours in, so I can see people being turned off initially. I believe wholeheartedly that it is worth taking the plunge into Monster Hunter, though, as it is overall one of the most rewarding experiences in gaming.
---
My SSBM combo vids:
http://www.youtube.com/user/crowe1
#57bleedingelitePosted 3/18/2013 8:14:37 AM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
If Kirby Fan disapproves, that should be a great indicator that its an awesome game.

Wait... Is it not a clunky grindfest?

Played 350+ hours on the PSP version and grinded for very little. It was also tons of fun getting better at killing monsters or re-exploring monsters with different builds and different parties so the vast majority of my materials came from just playing the game.

Of course, what do you know... you probably took a giant sword out, started swinging wildly and gave up.

You sound like one of those people who can't see the flaws in what you like.

Carry on on with your clunky grindfest!

You sound like one of those people who is constantly finding flaws in what other people like because you're an angry little goblin and being a dick about videogames to strangers on the internet somehow makes your crappy life more bearable.
#58Prince ShondronaiPosted 3/18/2013 8:17:09 AM
Beysus posted...
If you have a Wii U and skip this game, know that you are sending the console to a graveyard.

MH has a HUGE fanbase, join us a save your precious console to boot.

If Monster Hunter has a huge fanbase, then it doesn't need me to prop up its sales. The huge fanbase will all buy Wii U's to play the game, and everything will be dandy.

Besides, Capcom can sit and spin until they start making MegaMan games again.
---
One of us. One of us. One of us.
#59Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 3/18/2013 11:10:26 AM(edited)
You sound like one of those people who is constantly finding flaws in what other people like because you're an angry little goblin and being a **** about videogames to strangers on the internet somehow makes your crappy life more bearable.

You seem to be following me around and insulting me in nearly every topic I post in...

Looks like I have a new obsessive fan!
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif
#60BDzaPosted 3/18/2013 12:41:21 PM
RockD79 posted...
Question for an MH vet. Is the demo for Wii and Wii U a poor example of the full version? I hear the game is amazing but the demo just doesn't do it for me. I'm assuming its the demo. Can somebody clarify?

Well the demo gives you a full set of equipment, items, and 2 pals to help you out which you actually need to earn in the game. See you start off collecting some basic items from forest and maybe kill a weak monster or 2 to build basic equipment. From there you begin customizing your hunter with skills like more health, better dodging, or the ability to not be stunned by a monster's roar. Then you learn about how to make traps or flash bombs to help you hunt. Along the way you start to get the feel of the weapon style you picked to go with.

Eventually you are tested against bigger monsters who will probably hand you your ass if you are not careful. From then on it becomes bigger and bigger boss battles (though same are "sub" species and can be stronger with more lethal attacks like spitting poison). You'll have to kill or capture a single type of big monster a few times (or a lot depending on your luck) before you have enough materials to craft a new weapon or full set of armor. Then you take those shiny new weapons/armors and go after a harder monster.

The grind people speak of is that you face a monster numerous times before moving onto another. It can be annoying so hunting with others makes it more fun and exciting. Also try out another type of weapon. Bored of fighting with a greatsword? Try out the lance or gun lance.

MH Tri was my first MH game which I enjoyed for well over 500 hours. I enjoy boss battles, dragons, and a semi challenging game so that was part of why I tried the game out. It isn't the easiest game to pick up and play but if you put the time in to learn it you'll soon find yourself thinking about the game constantly.
---
<G>A Brother who always helps the widow's son; are you a traveling man too?<G>
Addicted to->FE: Awakening