So I was at EB Games..

#1promo123Posted 3/17/2013 1:33:13 PM
A father and his son came into the store, and the son instantly went to play the Wii U. He looked to be around six or seven years old. Once the father was ready to leave, this was the conversation they had:

Father: Come on, let's go.
Son: Just a second, I'm almost done the level!
Father: You can play that at home, let's go.
Son: No I can't, we don't have a Wii U.
Father: Yes, we have a Wii, now come on.
Son: Okay..

I feel bad for most kids, my mom has always kept up with the games I play, even though she isn't a gamer whatsoever.
---
Everybody's havin' a good time with Poppy Bros!
#2NintyPower101Posted 3/17/2013 1:35:42 PM
Blame Nintendo for not making absolutely sure this wasn't going to happen, and for making all the NSMB games practically indistinguishable from each other.
#3RedOrionPosted 3/17/2013 1:35:57 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this actually happened often. Nintendo's marketing has been awful, which is a shame because it's an amazing console.
#4RioichiCooperPosted 3/17/2013 1:37:24 PM
And this is why the name Wii U might not have been the greatest idea.
---
If your accuracy is over 10%, you're trying too hard.
#5AstralFrostPosted 3/17/2013 2:01:07 PM
Nintendo calls it the same thing and releases the same games for it.

Working as intended.
#6tsizzle420Posted 3/17/2013 2:26:52 PM
I've seen plenty of parent that didnt know the difference between the ps2 and ps3. What's your point?
---
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire
#7Baha05Posted 3/17/2013 2:29:45 PM
NintyPower101 posted...
Blame Nintendo for not making absolutely sure this wasn't going to happen, and for making all the NSMB games practically indistinguishable from each other.

Pretty sure that's not the fault of Nintendo. Some parent had a hard time with consoles period. It's not like we had things like the SNES, PS2, PS3 or other confusion.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#8SocranPosted 3/17/2013 2:59:30 PM(edited)
tsizzle420 posted...
I've seen plenty of parent that didnt know the difference between the ps2 and ps3. What's your point?

Same thing happened with the Xbox 360, too. People just don't notice it because those systems aren't as popular with the kinds of people who suck at identifying consoles. (Incidentally, the 360 was more popular with those kinds of people than the PS3, just not as much as the Wii.)

I distinctly remember the amount of parents who kept getting their kids "Nintendos" back in the day and didn't know whether they were getting an NES or SNES. And I'll bet the failure of everything after Genesis was contributed to by the fact that they were all "Segas" in the public's eye.

The fact is, unless it somehow becomes a media sensation like the Wii was, people just aren't going to be able to tell them apart.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#9DDP886Posted 3/17/2013 2:58:13 PM
NintyPower101 posted...

yea, the wii u should have a better name
---
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds = Spiritual Liberation
LETS GO: NYRangers; Bring this cup back to where it belongs
#10mashuPosted 3/17/2013 3:02:53 PM
Personally, I think that conversation was more of a casual brush-off, ie "No, you can play video games at home" and that the larger problem that the Wii didn't face when it had its explosion is a more expensive system combined with economic downturn (and the fact that parents wanted to mess around with the Wii themselves, due to the hype).

Having said that, I agree a different name and better marketing would have been good/better, but I think its more a combined problem of families not buying their younger children game consoles nowadays (to the tune of $300+) and financially independent gamers looking at the library and saying to themselves "I'm going to wait."