Could Nintendo release a Gamepad with better range?

#1STN79Posted 3/17/2013 4:05:36 PM
When and if they start selling those things separately do you think an improved version is likely? One with possibly longer battery life and better range for off TV play? My gamepad sometimes has good range but other days i can't get two feet from the console. Sorta defeats the purpose of off TV play if i still gotta be near the TV. Just out of curiosity how much would a separate gamepad cost? Has Nintendo said anything about this?
#2MathewMansonPosted 3/17/2013 4:06:27 PM
*Shrugs.

It depends on your house. I can go into every room except one, and this one room is the closest to the Wii U than all of the others.
---
I'm not man enough...to be human.
Nintendo Identification: MathewManson.
#3STN79(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 4:08:41 PM
Sometimes mine loses it's connection if i simply turn facing away from the console. Even if i'm no more than a foot away. It's really useless sometimes and i end up just playing on the TV.
#4MathewMansonPosted 3/17/2013 4:10:10 PM
STN79 posted...
Sometimes mine loses it's connection if i simply turn facing away from the console. Even if i'm no more than a foot away. It's really useless sometimes and i end up just playing on the TV.

I think there may be something wrong with your game-pad =/
---
I'm not man enough...to be human.
Nintendo Identification: MathewManson.
#5STN79(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 4:13:32 PM
Funny thing is the signal has at times gone right through walls. As long as i'm still sorta near the console.
#6CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 3/17/2013 4:16:50 PM
I could imagine an external USB antenna.
Where it gives you a wired conneciton to a different location before re-broadcasting it.

But a gamepad with better range?
Im not sure that's possible.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#7NeoMonkPosted 3/17/2013 4:24:13 PM
I can take mine to the backyard & play there... problem is my wifi doesn't reach there... so... yeah
---
"How am i spelling?" Please call 800-WHO-CARES or online at Imlonely.com
#8SocranPosted 3/17/2013 4:25:47 PM
STN79 posted...

As I've said before, that's not normal. Nintendo may make a farther-reaching Gamepad when better/cheaper technology is available in the future, but even today's Gamepads are supposed to reach much farther than yours is.

In regards to the battery, you can purchase a long-lasting third party battery. They just didn't want to make you pay extra for a larger battery in-box when there's a good chance you'll be charging while playing anyway.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#9EoinPosted 3/17/2013 4:38:05 PM
An improvement in range would probably have to come at the expense of framerate or quality of the image being send to the GamePad. So it might be okay for menus but could impact on gameplay. One big issue, though is how wireless signals deteriorate over distance. It's not a nice linear decline - wireless connections go from good to "working, but slowly" to non-existent very fast. Even if you halved the required bandwidth (by dropping the GamePad framerate to 30FPS, for example), you'd probably only get a few metres extra at most - less through a wall.

The other option would be range extenders - these work but would need to be proprietary (so might be expensive) and would add latency (although probably not so much that it'd make a real difference). They'd come close to doubling the range which I think would cover most people fairly well.

As a note, though: if you're having real problems with the GamePad in the same room as the Wii U, extended range is the wrong solution to your issues.

CHAINMAILLEKID posted...
I could imagine an external USB antenna.

USB would bottleneck the connection. It'd work, technically, but wouldn't be the best solution. USB 2.0 is an old, inefficient way of transferring data and it's best not to involve it when you need lots of data going somewhere fast.