Is the video game industry getting too big for itself?

#1thepixelgardenPosted 3/17/2013 7:41:24 PM
Is the video game industry getting too big for itself?

It's been said that video games are so expensive to make now that smaller companies end up folding and larger companies don't want to take risks. I'm wondering if this is happening with hardware, too.

Reggie said that it was a frustrating challenge because no matter what you show gamers, they are always asking "what else ya got?". I've noticed this trend as well. Btw this is NOT an "entitlement" topic; I'm not saying anyone's "at fault", I'm just making an observation.

But there is such a backlog of games, and the systems have such diverse functions now. Motion controls, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, sports channels, virtual consoles, internet browser, Youtube, etc. Any new console is going to be expected to have all of this. And this isn't even anything special, because the 7th Generation systems have all of this already. So all of this extra stuff, that was once amazing and cool, are now basic features.

Then there's the whole issue of backwards compatibility, which people want. I don't know about you, but I've already got 5 systems hooked up to my tv, and could easily have more if I had room. I'm still playing 7th generation games so if I'm getting a new machine it better play the games that are currently out, too, because I need to replace the older system, not add another next to it.

So, you take all of the above-mentioned stuff, put it into a powerhouse of a machine, and you've STILL only got something that matches the 7th generation. And it's not like you can omit any of it, because it's expected to be there now. This means that ON TOP OF all that stuff, you still have to come up with a bunch of new features and games. And not just a couple of new games, either. Otherwise why bother upgrading?

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm worried that we've reached a saturation point.
#2Holy_OblivionPosted 3/17/2013 7:58:33 PM
Hmm can definitely see where you're coming from.
---
Visit my youtube page for game news, vids, anime, and plenty of other stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BaoZakeruga?show_guided_help=1
#3Sir_HaxorPosted 3/17/2013 8:10:32 PM
Blame the West. Casuals who want their everything to do everything, and considering it's western gamers who embraced microtransactions along with the "patch then release" mentality crafted by western devs.

Gaming was so much better without freemium models and the constant online to play bullcrap. Better go collect all those old gems now folks before they become overpriced. Gaming is headed down a dark road and there doesn't seem to be a light at the end.
---
Half naked teenage demon boy is as good as it gets- MetaLoki
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the SMTIV board
#4Golden MavenPosted 3/17/2013 8:17:08 PM
thepixelgarden posted...
It's been said that video games are so expensive to make now that smaller companies end up folding and larger companies don't want to take risks.

Video games are only expensive when the developers adopt the "hollywood" style of storytelling. It has nothing to do with the hardware or whatever else, that's a lie Nintendo came up with to justify outdated hardware. Want proof? Look at Steam.

thepixelgarden posted...
Reggie said that it was a frustrating challenge because no matter what you show gamers, they are always asking "what else ya got?

Welcome to capitalism. This is nothing new. More Nintendo BS line of thinking.

thepixelgarden posted...
But there is such a backlog of games

Good, more variety, means people can be picky.

Sir_Haxor posted...
Blame the West

Right, blame the West. Who else misses overpriced games, JRPG clones, side-scrollers and fighting games saturating the market.

The West has been better at making games since the late 90s. Companies like Blizzard, Maxis, Ubisoft, etc have all shown the East who's boss.
#5LuckyLickmorePosted 3/17/2013 8:27:43 PM
Awesome post!!, I posted this topic below a few weeks back and got some intelligent responses back, but I'm with you guys on most points, I've actually been retro gaming the past month, and still hoping for something big from Nintendo...............

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/65514011
#6Holy_OblivionPosted 3/17/2013 8:29:53 PM
Golden Maven posted...
thepixelgarden posted...
It's been said that video games are so expensive to make now that smaller companies end up folding and larger companies don't want to take risks.

Video games are only expensive when the developers adopt the "hollywood" style of storytelling. It has nothing to do with the hardware or whatever else, that's a lie Nintendo came up with to justify outdated hardware. Want proof? Look at Steam.

thepixelgarden posted...
Reggie said that it was a frustrating challenge because no matter what you show gamers, they are always asking "what else ya got?

thepixelgarden posted...

Sir_Haxor posted...
Blame the West

Right, blame the West. Who else misses overpriced games, JRPG clones, side-scrollers and fighting games saturating the market.

The West has been better at making games since the late 90s. Companies like Blizzard, Maxis, Ubisoft, etc have all shown the East who's boss.

As someone who works for a game company, I can tell you that games ARE expensive, regardless of this "hollywood storytelling" you speak of.
---
Visit my youtube page for game news, vids, anime, and plenty of other stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BaoZakeruga?show_guided_help=1
#7Sir_HaxorPosted 3/17/2013 8:39:35 PM
Golden Maven posted...
thepixelgarden posted...

thepixelgarden posted...

thepixelgarden posted...

Sir_Haxor posted...
Blame the West

Who else misses all the FPS, TPS, microtransactions, DLC, and sports games saturating the market? Handhelds have been showing consoles who's boss since the DS, which the west is too cowardly to develop for.

Oh wait, cheap phone games.
---
Half naked teenage demon boy is as good as it gets- MetaLoki
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the SMTIV board
#8IokuaPosted 3/17/2013 8:39:44 PM
The industry hasn't become too big, it's become too profit driven. Things have degraded to the point where publishers are more than willing to cheat the customers out of their money.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#9SlaynPosted 3/17/2013 8:45:39 PM
Two words.

Indie. Gaming.
---
#1 LoL Poster NA: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/954437-league-of-legends/63627116
#10Shinobi120Posted 3/17/2013 9:00:38 PM(edited)
Sir_Haxor posted...
Blame the West. Casuals who want their everything to do everything, and considering it's western gamers who embraced microtransactions along with the "patch then release" mentality crafted by western devs.

Gaming was so much better without premium models and the constant online to play bullcrap. Better go collect all those old gems now folks before they become overpriced. Gaming is headed down a dark road and there doesn't seem to be a light at the end.

So, so this.

Who else misses all the FPS, TPS, microtransactions, DLC, and sports games saturating the market?

Not I, & I'm a western gamer. Not a fan of any of those 5 above.

Plus there have been more FPS's, TPS's, & Sports games on PS3/360 than JRPG's, Fighters, & side-scrolling games together.