In your opinion, what do you think Nintendo is up to? (Marketing)

#1KebiinuPosted 3/20/2013 8:23:47 AM
Not trying to turn this into another petty debate with personal shots at each other. Just a casual discussion.

We all know Nintendo dropped the ball with the Wii U. They expected Nintendo Land and NSMBU to carry the console through it's drought, and into whatever next big release they have. The price, the software support, and the marketing have all been a mess IMO.

I just bought MHU yesterday afternoon, and I know Need For Speed and Lego City are on the market. We all know how a console launch works, none of this is new.

What I'm curious about, is Nintendo's reaction to all this. They've been severely tight lipped, and it's like they glaze over the issues in interviews, and continue as they were. I want to know what you think they're waiting for. Are they planning a rerelease? A massive price cut similar to the 3DS? A secret treasure of soon to be released games? Release dates on the now post-launch titles?

What do you think they're up to? Might they really be panicking, or is it all according to some sort of plan?
---
3DS FC: 4167 - 4502 - 6171
PSN: Kebiinu
#2icarus231Posted 3/20/2013 8:36:08 AM
They are working out all the kinks now and will do a media blitz in a few months after the do all the updates and stuff. There will most likely be a Mario kart bundle for the holiday season which will help catapult the systems sales.
#3shootsmackPosted 3/20/2013 8:37:38 AM
I think the custodians are in charge of marketing and every janitor in the world hates Nintendo.
---
You belong on the blizz D3 forums, it was built for people like you. Like how some barns are built specifically to contain filthy animals.
#4sonicsonicPosted 3/20/2013 8:41:25 AM
I think they want too keep the WiiU relatively low key until the PS4/720 releases. A lot of people claim that Nintendo should've tried too get the ball rolling... and I suppose that is true, but with the release being so far ahead of the 720/PS4 any momentum they did build could easily be stopped by the release of new consoles.

I think come nearer the release of the next consoles we will see a price drop and a nice a handful of 1st party software for the holiday season. I can only imagine the WiiU will be fairly cheaper than the PS4/720 come holiday season after a price drop and combined with a Mario Kart bundle I can see WiiU being the bigger seller this holiday season.
#5Kebiinu(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 8:41:44 AM
icarus231 posted...
They are working out all the kinks now and will do a media blitz in a few months after the do all the updates and stuff. There will most likely be a Mario kart bundle for the holiday season which will help catapult the systems sales.

This sounds likely. No sense promoting a rushed console, once they get all the kinks fixed in, it'll be past beta status. Doesn't make me enjoy the console any less. :P
---
3DS FC: 4167 - 4502 - 6171
PSN: Kebiinu
#6PigfartsPosted 3/20/2013 8:41:48 AM
Well they are not going to come out and say its a flop. What they are going to do is most like what the Vita did, tell people the Wii U is in it for the long haul.

Then they will do 2 things to see if it works, 1) they will price cut 2) they will release a big 1st party game (a real system seller like smash, not a remade zelda game)

Until they increase their user base they will not get the support they need to keep the system going. Even if they make only 1st party games without real 3rd arty support, if the user base is not there it will be hard for nintendo.

When the Wii was in its prime they new they can make 1st part game and sell 6 million copies. but with only 3 million wii U sold the potenial to make money is not there.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#7The_HyphenatorPosted 3/20/2013 8:45:37 AM
I honestly think that Nintendo had counted on more third-party support than they received. If you look at the way they handled promotion prior to the launch, they gave a lot of publicity to the third-party titles that were scheduled for the launch window. It's pretty clear that they were trying to give third parties an opportunity to sell their games to an install base with little competition from Nintendo themselves. Even if Pikimin 3 hadn't slipped out of the launch window, that would still hold true.

Unfortunately, third-party devs left them high and dry, so the release window has become exceptionally barren, especially compared to what was originally advertised. I don't think this was a case of Nintendo being thwarted by their own hubris like the 3DS was; it's pretty clear they were trying to lead with some good first-party titles, launching with NSMBU (bear in mind, the NSMB series is VERY commercially successful, even more so than the 3D Mario titles), Nintendo Land and (as they had originally planned it) Pikmin 3, unlike the meager offerings they had with the 3DS at launch (Pilotwings, Steel Diver, and..Nintendogs?).

But I really think they had counted on more third-party devs playing ball, and instead the vast majority of them half-assed it and then complained when nobody bought their half-assed games. This launch just isn't going the way Nintendo planned it.
#8NeojianXPosted 3/20/2013 8:58:17 AM
"In your opinion, what do you think Nintendo is up to? (Marketing)"

Being Sony Phony and Sony is failing at Gorilla Marketing. Selling off a lot of their Headquarters in various regions. : ) Good!
---
James Bond 007 in Never Say Never Heineken AND You Only Live Miller High Life .... Twice. : )
#9IcedEarthaholicPosted 3/20/2013 9:01:44 AM
I do feel they wanted to let third party developers shine on the system, and honestly I can't blame them in a way. They know they screwed up big time with that, and they didn't want to steal the thunder from all those whom were developing for the console. I feel that the Wii U has tons of potential though, the fact that rush job ports are actually running and running very well actually says something about the power of the system. While obviously it won't be as powerful as the PS4/720, it'll have something that those two won't, games.

Oh I am very well aware that of right now the Wii U is struggling in that department, but now that three big titles, actually four technically if you include that Walking Dead game, have bolstered the library, I do feel we're going to see sales increase quite a bit in March, I am positive April will have some good stuff as well. Nintendo will not sit idly and watch as a competitor tries to overtake them. They'll figure out ways to fix the problem.

Should all the E3 rumours surrounding them be true, I'll be satisfied. :)
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#10parkourboybryanPosted 3/20/2013 9:03:14 AM
What Hyphenator said. Nintendo held back a few heavy hitter 1st Party games to give other companies a chance to show what they had, because Nintendo titles eclipse all others on the platform. Some companies took advantage of this with ZombiU, Rayman almost, and now Lego City and Monster Hunter, but overall, not enough companies took advantage of the headstart they had over the 1st Party to release heavy hitters, which is why there's the complaints about 3rd Parties and lack of games.
---
One of the proud people that still plays Mirror's Edge to this day.
Not changing my sig until DICE officially announces Mirror's Edge 2