In your opinion, what do you think Nintendo is up to? (Marketing)

#11Virus66Posted 3/20/2013 9:07:25 AM
Yeah, I'm sure they had an "Awww f***..." moment when the 3rd party titles like Rayman Legends and The Wonderful 101 slipped off the launch window when they pulled back Pikmin 3 as well. I really think that they just decided to tough it out at that point instead of just rushing as many games as they could into the space, and have their quality suffer as a result.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#12The_HyphenatorPosted 3/20/2013 9:14:45 AM
Virus66 posted...
Yeah, I'm sure they had an "Awww f***..." moment when the 3rd party titles like Rayman Legends and The Wonderful 101 slipped off the launch window when they pulled back Pikmin 3 as well. I really think that they just decided to tough it out at that point instead of just rushing as many games as they could into the space, and have their quality suffer as a result.

Yeah. Bad enough that the launch went completely against their plans, it would only make matters worse if Nintendo compounded the mistake by rushing first-party content out the door in an unfinished state. Nintendo thrives on its first-party titles, and one of the reasons for that is their strict adherence to quality standards. It'd be bad news for them to ruin that reputation.

At this point, Nintendo's best bet is to just grit its teeth and ride this out. By year's end, they'll have a solid stable of exclusives built up, including some major system sellers, while Sony and Microsoft will be going through their own launch growing pains at a higher price point. As long as they can remember that this is just a temporary setback and not freak out and do something stupid, they'll be fine.