I'd love it if Deus Ex: HR had stylus control for gameplay.

#1elheberPosted 3/20/2013 5:46:36 PM
Optional, of course. Movement with the analog, camera with the stylus. Chances of this happening?
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
| 3DS: Ulysses | PSN: Riot_Guy |
#2midgarPosted 3/20/2013 6:11:07 PM
...how many hands do you have, again? That's what the second analog is for, the stylus for camera would be uncomfortable.

Now, for hacking, lock picking, etc. Hell yes. Maybe even an alternate active camera using the touch screen, with a supplemental hud/AI.
"Augment vision". It could give you a small dossier of the person you're talking to/looking at as well, to help with dialogue options.
Tap for night/heat vision, etc.

Sorry, dude, but camera control... I'd pass.

It'd have to be one hell of a new experience to get me to buy HR twice.
---
[This sig has been stabbed by Ray Lewis]
#3elheber(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 7:19:37 AM
It's only optional. Relax. I think it could work out beautifully.
---
#4_FalstaffPosted 3/22/2013 8:48:43 AM
How would you press other buttons that needed to be pressed (like the "shoot bullets at people that are trying to kill me" button) if you were using the stylus to control the camera?
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#5darkjedilinkPosted 3/22/2013 8:51:21 AM
elheber posted...
It's only optional. Relax. I think it could work out beautifully.

Not for us lefties.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#6SlimeSwayzePosted 3/22/2013 9:06:00 AM
I get that having more options would be nice, but this would really be an awful control scheme for this game. I don't think I'd want to play any game like that, but it could maybe work in a game that was built that way from the ground up.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#7EoinPosted 3/22/2013 9:28:27 AM(edited)
I have to ask: have you played any version of the game?

These are the controls on PS3:

|ACTION: | BUTTON: |
|=========================|=================|
|Look Around | RIGHT JOYSTICK |
|Move Around | LEFT JOYSTICK |
|Interaction | Square |
|Jump | X |
|Sprint | L2 |
|Crouch | L3 |
|Cover | L1 |
|Draw/Fire Weapon | R1 |
|Reload Weapon | Square |
|Holster Weapon | Triangle |
|Iron Sight | R3 |
|Throw/Detonate | R2 |
|Takedown | Circle |
|Activate Cloak | D-pad Up |
|Activate Typhoon | D-pad Right |
|Activate Vision Enhancer | D-pad Down |
|Activate Silent Movement | D-pad Left |
|Enter Menu | SELECT |
|Quick Inventory | Hold Triangle |

With stylus controls for the camera, you'd have easy access to the left analogue stick, the d-pad, and the two left shoulder buttons. That leaves the following controls not covered:

Fire
Throw
Iron Sight
Takedown
Reload
Jump
Holster Weapon
Quick Inventory
Interact

You could remap some of these to other buttons (Fire, for example, would need to be), but only at the cost of moving something else. You could put soft buttons on the screen, but that works badly with single-touch screens so is a fairly bad solution.

The game simply requires more buttons than the Wii U GamePad can provide if you're using the stylus to control the camera.
#8elheber(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 7:25:28 AM
I've beaten the 360 version, so yes, I do know the controls. I can think of a few ways to make it work:

You move the camera with the stylus as if you're dragging the view around. The left trigger (or maybe shoulder), instead of locking you into cover, locks the camera for shooting with the stylus; you shoot wherever you touch on screen, like a light gun shooter.

All inactive objects in the game world have icons over them that highlight when you are within reach. Everything from doors open, keypads to hack, obstacles to take cover behind, to even enemies to take down, all just a tap away. Moving from cover to cover is as simple as tapping on the next place you want to take cover behind.

The rest of the button placement would be a bit tight but workable.
---
#9promo123Posted 3/25/2013 7:43:01 AM
elheber posted...
I've beaten the 360 version, so yes, I do know the controls. I can think of a few ways to make it work:

You move the camera with the stylus as if you're dragging the view around. The left trigger (or maybe shoulder), instead of locking you into cover, locks the camera for shooting with the stylus; you shoot wherever you touch on screen, like a light gun shooter.

All inactive objects in the game world have icons over them that highlight when you are within reach. Everything from doors open, keypads to hack, obstacles to take cover behind, to even enemies to take down, all just a tap away. Moving from cover to cover is as simple as tapping on the next place you want to take cover behind.

The rest of the button placement would be a bit tight but workable.

This sounds like a bad shovelware game.
---
Everybody's havin' a good time with Poppy Bros!
#10iceachePosted 3/25/2013 8:46:23 AM
you shoot wherever you touch on screen

So you'd be shooting when you aim the camera around.. Smart...