Who else is going digital-only this gen?

#101RagnawindPosted 3/21/2013 1:05:35 PM
jbhens posted...
elheber posted...
ChipChipperson posted...
I don't see a single benefit in going digital.

Not one? Are you exaggerating to make a point, or you really can't think of one despite many being mentioned in this thread.

I haven't seen a benefit mentioned yet. Aside from maybe not liking going in public to purchase something, I see no benefit at all and see it as a huge drawback.

There have been multiple mentions of benefits.

Your game collection in one place. You can't lose or have a digital copy stolen. You never need to switch out games. When traveling, or for portables, you don't need to take physical games with you. Faster load times. In several countries the digital copies are WAY cheaper. These are just the ones I remember reading.

I don't know if you're only pretending to have read other people's posts, or if you have "selective reading".

Most of those benefits can easily be countered:

Game collection in one place is NOT always going to be true. You will eventually need more HDD storage, About not losing or getting a digital download stolen, it is completely possible for losing them at least. You can have a system breakdown, especially a Nintendo system, and have to buy the games all over again. About never switching out discs, see the first counter. With portable games, most system have very limited space and you might need to switch out the small memory card for the system. Most times, loading is NOT faster from a hard drive and usually when it is, it is barely noticeable and not worth it. Digital copies are only cheaper if you are in a country with high taxes or a cheap currency and you purchase from another country's digital store, which most people don't fit into that category. All have been countered with valid facts.
#102Bahamut_10thPosted 3/21/2013 1:09:50 PM(edited)
Ragnawind posted...
jbhens posted...
elheber posted...
ChipChipperson posted...
I don't see a single benefit in going digital.

Not one? Are you exaggerating to make a point, or you really can't think of one despite many being mentioned in this thread.

I haven't seen a benefit mentioned yet. Aside from maybe not liking going in public to purchase something, I see no benefit at all and see it as a huge drawback.

Your game collection in one place. You can't lose or have a digital copy stolen. You never need to switch out games. When traveling, or for portables, you don't need to take physical games with you. Faster load times. In several countries the digital copies are WAY cheaper. These are just the ones I remember reading.

I don't know if you're only pretending to have read other people's posts, or if you have "selective reading".

Digital copies are only cheaper if you are in a country with high taxes or a cheap currency and you purchase from another country's digital store, which most people don't fit into that category.

Get international credit card and be happy.
And it's funny how you talk as if the bolded is a minority, or if it's super complicated to buy from another country's store.

It's always funny to see someone from a rich country trying to put their fingers into the reality of countries other than his own.
#103IloveElitePosted 3/21/2013 1:26:25 PM
Good luck when your Wii U fails and you have to buy ALL your games again as they are linked to the hardware and not your account :P
#104The_DOAMPosted 3/21/2013 1:35:59 PM
I bought some digital games of the VC when the Wii was first released don't have em now cause i don't have my original Wii anymore. I'm not going to buy anymore digital games from Nintendo till their account based. If Sony can do it why not Nintendo I've ported over FF7-9 to multiple handhelds and consoles with no problem.
---
Ignorance is Bliss...
#105Faceman_Posted 3/21/2013 1:38:18 PM
What is the point of buying a game if you're just going to trade it in when you're done with it? Might as well just rent it.
#106RagnawindPosted 3/21/2013 1:38:48 PM
Ragnawind posted...
jbhens posted...
elheber posted...

Digital copies are only cheaper if you are in a country with high taxes or a cheap currency and you purchase from another country's digital store, which most people don't fit into that category.

Get international credit card and be happy.
And it's funny how you talk as if the bolded is a minority, or if it's super complicated to buy from another country's store.

It's always funny to see someone from a rich country trying to put their fingers into the reality of countries other than his own.

It technically is a minority, though for people that have games in their country worth more than a digital store in their own country or another's. That is a fact. There are more video game purchases in countries like NA, Canada, Europe, Japan, Asia, and Korea, than any other country on Earth. The majority of places that have more expensive games are usually more rural, which doesn't have as many people that play games. There are people in those areas that do, but they are a minority. Also, $60 USD is still a lot for a game. Europe even gets them for cheaper, most of the time, but then there are taxes and shipping, unless using a service like PSN, LIVE, or one of Nintendo's online stores, for console games and Steam and similar services for PCs.
#107elheberPosted 3/21/2013 1:55:29 PM
You didn't counter them, Ragnwind, you just gave some exceptions. And Nintendo will replace your access to your games in case of property loss or theft.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
| 3DS: Ulysses | PSN: Riot_Guy |
#108NairodmaticPosted 3/21/2013 2:21:23 PM
phy2jsh posted...
_Sovereign_ posted...
I prefer to own my games, so no.

Unless you are making these games yourself, you do not own any of them. What you own is a licence to use them in your home. This is the same whether you have a physical or downloaded copy. Therefore, your point is moot, and this is why there is no real significant additional value in having a physical copy of a game unless you assign your own inflated, arbitrary value to the box and DVD.

How do these licenses work?

Are you saying that if Nintendo, or Sony, or Microsoft, or any dev or pub decides to revoke said license of whatever game on disk that I'm playing, say, right now, that I will be sued, or arrested, or that it will cease to function on my system? Or if I attempt to sell that particular disk, that the same or one of the penalties mentioned will occur?
---
Maybe video games should cost less money and take less time to make. Because $60 a pop isn't worth it.
#109akuma634Posted 3/21/2013 2:39:53 PM
I'm more of a PC gamer so with PC, I only get games digitally, mostly on Steam. I think with consoles, there's more risk because you have to trust the company making the console not to screw you over. Wii U has a design flaw that games are bound to the system and not your account so if you sell your Wii U then the next guy gets all your digital games. With PS3 and 360 there's still some small risk, like I remember on 360 having some Midway arcade games like Smash TV and UMK3, later I wanted to download them again but they were pulled from the store. With Steam, they've already said that if they go out of business then they'll let people keep playing their games. It's just the consoles need to find a good way to keep the customer safe and happy.

Eventually digital will replace psychical copies. It won't really hurt stores much since there will be game boxes but instead of a disc is a card with a redemption code. I'd think with PS4 and having their own cloud storage company that could become a huge part of going more digital in the future. Being able to buy a game online and instantly stream it as it installs would be a huge convince.
#110YeloazndevilPosted 3/21/2013 2:51:23 PM
no as I don't like paying full price for digital only on consoles.
---
GT/PSN: Yeloazndevil