Who else is going digital-only this gen?

#21Ghost-inZeShellPosted 3/21/2013 5:02:03 AM
Digital v Physical

It really doesn't matter to me. Which ever is best for the time being.
Too lazy to swap out disc is pretty pathetic.

Small games like Super Metroid, I have no problem downloading when it's on sale. (30)

Full retail games like ZombiU or Pikmin 3, I will go out and buy.
So they don't take up valuable memory, and I have a box with pretty pictures to put on my shelf.
#22LinktoDrinkPosted 3/21/2013 5:11:10 AM
File sizes don't matter because we're moving towards streaming rather than downloading.
---
Not changing this signature until Shenmue 3 is announced.
Started 9/9/99
#23crazybotPosted 3/21/2013 5:11:54 AM
Good luck keeping these downloads beyond this next gen of gaming. You'll lose all control in time. Sony has already stated downloads won't move to the ps4. Once your console dies, say goodbye to your games. With physical, you just need to hunt down another console. downloads have a place I guess, but if you want to actually own and control your library over time, physical is clearly better.
#24phy2jshPosted 3/21/2013 5:25:06 AM(edited)
crazybot posted...
Good luck keeping these downloads beyond this next gen of gaming. You'll lose all control in time. Sony has already stated downloads won't move to the ps4. Once your console dies, say goodbye to your games. With physical, you just need to hunt down another console. downloads have a place I guess, but if you want to actually own and control your library over time, physical is clearly better.

Console manufacturers seem to have shot themselves in the foot by setting a precedent for offering backward compatibility in recent years, but I don't see any reason why we should expect games from previous consoles to work on new ones. I do agree, though, that downloads should never be tied to a specific console.

Also, I'm not sure physical is inherently better for managing you collection, anyway. Give me Steam any day of the week.
#25crazybotPosted 3/21/2013 5:29:15 AM
phy2jsh posted...
crazybot posted...

Console manufacturers seem to have shot themselves in the foot by setting a precedent for offering backward compatibility in recent years, but I don't see any reason why we should expect games from previous consoles to work on new ones. I do agree, though, that downloads should never be tied to a specific console.

I'm not talking about bc. I'm talking about the ability to keep what has been purchased, for the original console. Up until now, a collector or someone who just wants to keep what he bought, only had to hunt down another console if the one he had broke. then he's back in business with his game collection. if games are tied to a particular console, there will be no keeping these games over time, or at the very least one will have to jump through hoops in order to retain this content.
#26phy2jshPosted 3/21/2013 5:39:24 AM
crazybot posted...
phy2jsh posted...
crazybot posted...

I'm not talking about bc. I'm talking about the ability to keep what has been purchased, for the original console. Up until now, a collector or someone who just wants to keep what he bought, only had to hunt down another console if the one he had broke. then he's back in business with his game collection. if games are tied to a particular console, there will be no keeping these games over time, or at the very least one will have to jump through hoops in order to retain this content.

Not sure about other consoles, but on the 360 I'm certain the games are not tied to a specific console; they are tied to the persons account. I do agree with your point, though; I would not be happy if this becomes the norm in the future.
#27jbhensPosted 3/21/2013 5:52:56 AM
I gotta say that aside from my MP3 player, I stick with physical copies of games and movies. Actually, I still by albums when I actually want the album and not just 1 or 2 songs. I don't get todays generation wanting everything downloaded. Besides I work for my money and want to actually have and own a physical copy. To me, this generation is crazy wanting to be all digital because it's easier or whatever.
#28FF_FiendPosted 3/21/2013 6:03:06 AM
Definitely physical for any games that have physical copies. Physical copies are the same price or MUCH cheaper for used copies. As others have said, why wouldnt you want a physical product in your hands for the same price - more bang for your buck. Unlike the Playstation/Xbox, games aren't tied to an account; they're tied to the console.I'd rather not download a game for 9 hours myself.

There are just so many perks to buying physical games - it makes me rage when people are clamoring for more digital distribution. The only reasons I see for digital distribution is special-deal services like Playstation Plus, Steam, etc. where and when it actually is cheaper to download games than buy them physically. Even then, if I like a game enough, I want the disc. Sometimes installed games have faster load times but the difference isn't usually significant enough to warrant getting less product for your money.
---
Playing: Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3), Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS), Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita)
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#29elheberPosted 3/21/2013 6:17:19 AM
Mostly digital.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
| 3DS: Ulysses | PSN: Riot_Guy |
#30DarkAdonis123Posted 3/21/2013 6:19:39 AM
LinktoDrink posted...
File sizes don't matter because we're moving towards streaming rather than downloading.

We stream movies and music. There is no such thing as streaming games. So file sizes matter. I'm not interested in downloading 20+ gig files. I have very little time to game as it is. So I'm not going to spend the time I do get waiting hours for my game to download when I can pick up a physical copy on my way home from work.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue