Who else is going digital-only this gen?

#51Ultima_MagikarpPosted 3/21/2013 7:20:09 AM
40Dribylf posted...
Maybe if Nintendo realized that you can sell digital titles for less and sell more copies while still making as much profit per copy I would consider it.

They can't.

Retailers would have a fit like you wouldn't believe,

They seem to be okay with Steam, as I still see full price PC games in retail stores.
#52jbhensPosted 3/21/2013 7:25:00 AM
trenken posted...
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Ok I was wrong. But you're crazy is you think that's suddenly going to be the standard. People will always want something tangible. And as long as digital continues to be the same price as physical, that's not going to change.

There will come a time when you cant buy physical media anymore. Its the natural progression of things. People said the exact same thing you just said before the ipod came along.

Either change or get left behind and be one of those people searching vintage shops for game discs when you're older. Everything will be all digital eventually, music, movies, games, everything.

Opinions are not facts. Facts are right now, and the forseeable future is that download speed and internet service isn't even close to being able to support this. And comparing music to games or movies is all wrong. They are very different mediums. People don't watch movies or play games while running, lifting weights, or any of the other things that a MP3 is conveniant for.
#53LinktoDrinkPosted 3/21/2013 7:25:26 AM
jbhens posted...
trenken posted...
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Ok I was wrong. But you're crazy is you think that's suddenly going to be the standard. People will always want something tangible. And as long as digital continues to be the same price as physical, that's not going to change.

There will come a time when you cant buy physical media anymore. Its the natural progression of things. People said the exact same thing you just said before the ipod came along.

Either change or get left behind and be one of those people searching vintage shops for game discs when you're older. Everything will be all digital eventually, music, movies, games, everything.

Opinions are not facts. Facts are right now, and the forseeable future is that download speed and internet service isn't even close to being able to support this. And comparing music to games or movies is all wrong. They are very different mediums. People don't watch movies or play games while running, lifting weights, or any of the other things that a MP3 is conveniant for.

The plural of medium is media.
---
Not changing this signature until Shenmue 3 is announced.
Started 9/9/99
#5440DribylfPosted 3/21/2013 7:26:22 AM
They seem to be okay with Steam, as I still see full price PC games in retail stores.

Steam has sales, those aren't standard prices.

You're asking for Nintendo to permanently lower the price.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#55Ultima_MagikarpPosted 3/21/2013 7:31:00 AM
40Dribylf posted...

Steam has sales, those aren't standard prices.

You're asking for Nintendo to permanently lower the price.

Then Nintendo needs to have sales more often than once in a blue moon.

Better?
#56atopp399Posted 3/21/2013 7:33:06 AM(edited)
I don't trust a any company to keep games available for me to download indefinitely so I don't go digital at all. I like a physical copy I can play forever, even if the internet explodes.

The only time I would consider digital is on a multiplayer only game like Left 4 Dead or an MMORPG or something. But, single player games I want physical only and would never consider buying something like SimCity due to its online requirements.
#57trenkenPosted 3/21/2013 7:35:22 AM
jbhens posted...
trenken posted...
DarkAdonis123 posted...

Noone said its happening today or tomorrow. Could be 10 years but it will happen. Tons of articles about this out there. Its a very slow change that has already started with games and movies. When changes start in the technology world, they dont stop until they become the standard. Digital downloads are convenient for the consumer and cheaper for the publisher. Hell, they rarely even ship instruction manuals anymore. You just buy an empty case with a disc in it, so they are grooming us to get ready for this. Thats not an opinion, its the natural progression of things. Dont like it if you dont want. Technology is a train that stops for noone.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#58phy2jshPosted 3/21/2013 7:35:26 AM
trenken posted...
DarkAdonis123 posted...

This guy gets it ;-)
#59Swiftblade09Posted 3/21/2013 8:19:06 AM
My problem with digital only is this. I want to be able to go back and play my games. If my console dies after the company stops supporting it I'd lose all of my downloads permanently. That is not something I want to go through.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raiz5MAb98Q
Official Salamence of the Pokemon X and Y boards
#60JackalPosted 3/21/2013 8:21:14 AM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
elheber posted...
DarkAdonis123 posted...
We stream movies and music. There is no such thing as streaming games.

LOL.

I'm not saying I disagree with you on everything. I just like to laugh at people who say super-wrong things. Nothing personal.

Please enlighten me. What games are you streaming? I'd like to laugh too.

You can't be serious? OnLive has been around for years. Sony bought Gaikai, an online game streaming service, and is incorporating it into the PS4 to play the previous PlayStation libraries.

Streaming games are coming to consoles no matter how much Iwata feels the service doesn't matter. I actually agree with the one guy that stated it would be a great alternative for playing game demos. Just select and play. No downloading. No drive space taken up. Game betas can be used the same way too.

Not only that, but we may come to a time when you buy a disc game and get to play a cloud version on your tablet, PC, laptop, smartphone, etc. Play a level while you are on the bus, finish the game when you get home. I think it would be great as long as they can get it all to work okay and you you have a good connection to do it.

Streaming games DO exist.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz