Since when has console power been so important?

#31jbhens(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 7:20:42 AM
tiamat999 posted...
All you morons saying get nes, snes, pong those are classic consoles and will always remain classics

I also find that kind of silly to say since some of the best, most clever games of this past generation were low budget indie games.
#32GEKGanonPosted 3/21/2013 7:22:15 AM
Since when has console power been so important?

In terms of marketing and console wars, since always. If you need something more substantial than that, look up "blast processing".
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#33trenkenPosted 3/21/2013 7:25:06 AM
If console power is unimportant to you, why arent you still playing NES games hmm? Surely there are still many great ones you never played.

Power is critical, its the primary reason why they keep releasing new consoles. People love visual stimulation. Once they get used to the current gens graphics, the companies make new machines.

When you look at most consoles, all theyve ever been is stronger versions of the previous one. Seems like since the U is weak that suddenly people think power is important. Whats going to happen when the PS4 comes out and the games destroy the U games? We're going to look at the U like its a last gen quality machine. And it will happen, look at the specs of the PS4, they are absolutely beastly and far beyond whats in the U. In fact you cannot even build a high end gaming PC with those specs, so there is going to be a large gap in graphics quality between the PS4 and the U. Possibly not right at first, but give it a year or so and the U games will look very dated.

Thats a big problem when the U is already not selling well, and the PS4 and 720 arent even out yet!!
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#34jbhens(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 7:27:37 AM
trenken posted...
If console power is unimportant to you, why arent you still playing NES games hmm? Surely there are still many great ones you never played.

Power is critical, its the primary reason why they keep releasing new consoles. People love visual stimulation. Once they get used to the current gens graphics, the companies make new machines.

When you look at most consoles, all theyve ever been is stronger versions of the previous one. Seems like since the U is weak that suddenly people think power is important. Whats going to happen when the PS4 comes out and the games destroy the U games? We're going to look at the U like its a last gen quality machine. And it will happen, look at the specs of the PS4, they are absolutely beastly and far beyond whats in the U. In fact you cannot even build a high end gaming PC with those specs, so there is going to be a large gap in graphics quality between the PS4 and the U. Possibly not right at first, but give it a year or so and the U games will look very dated.

Thats a big problem when the U is already not selling well, and the PS4 and 720 arent even out yet!!

Again please show me in the 30 years of home consoles that the most powerful system won and the weakest system failed because it couldn't handle ports from the most powerful console. I'm still waiting to see where this logic is coming from...
#35tiamat999Posted 3/21/2013 7:31:32 AM
Also nes to PS2 was the golden age of gaming now where in the dark ages of gaming
---
favorite animated shows the Venture bros, gargoyles, justice league, avengers EMH, super robot wars og the inspector, young justice, avengers assemble, ragnarok
#36RyuVegasPosted 3/21/2013 7:37:18 AM(edited)
*doesn't read topic*

They DON'T MATTER:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter

Turns out I really don't need to finish reading it. Just... watch the video guys... please. It is amazing by amazing people.
---
http://backloggery.com/ryuvega NP: FE:Awakening, C:LoS:MirrorOfFate
'I've seen Ryu on the MtG board so he's already cooler than most of you.' ~ XImperialDragon
#37meiyukiPosted 3/21/2013 7:35:25 AM
jbhens posted...

Again please show me in the 30 years of home consoles that the most powerful system won and the weakest system failed because it couldn't handle ports from the most powerful console. I'm still waiting to see where this logic is coming from...

If they really believed in power so much they wouldn't be gaming on consoles, but they do. They never buy the most power system cause if they did PC would be the dominant platform. Why would people who talk so much about how power is everything not buy the most powerful platform? So like people have been saying it's a marketing gimick and a way to attack nintendo and that's why they claim power is important.
#38FF_FiendPosted 3/21/2013 7:38:31 AM
jbhens posted...
FF_Fiend posted...
I'm in no way a graphics-snob, but what you're talking about is console power. You're talking about more than just textures, details, and resolution. A console with greater power and virtual memory can literally create aspects of games that couldn't exist before. Animation and refresh rates, the amount of objects acting and reacting in a given space, NPC intelligence, ease of developing for a system, etc.

All in all, if a game doesn't approach photo-realism, increased power can affect the game's playability in a number of ways aside from visual influence. Also, if a developer is creating a game for next-gen consoles, what's the likelihood that they'll want to create a separate visually watered-down version for a console which has such a small install-base and such poor marketing? The problem for Nintendo this gen is, and always will be, 3rd party support.

Also, saying graphics don't matter is like saying "The type of camera a photographer/filmmaker uses isn't important." or "The kind of paint a painter uses doesn't matter." The technique and materials used in any form of artistic medium DO matter - it is these, combined with the artists vision and talent that form the final composition. Saying they don't matter is ignorant.

And again, when has console power ever won a console war? There are fair arguments about the lack of games on the Wii U, how the online isn't as fluid as Xbox Live, or how they aren't even advertising the thing. But, saying the Wii U is going to be ad a disadvantage because the PS4 is more powerful is not an argument.

Well there you go. I offer an intelligent and thought out answer, and you shield your eyes with your fanboy goggles. I don't know why I post on here. After all, you just answered your own question. The online isn't fluid and there are a lack of games BECAUSE of the console power. You can't have big hit multi platform 3rd party software without console power. Because the third party won't support it like they will the other platforms.

I'm not saying Nintendo can't support its console with the proper AAA 1st party software that has grown their brand over the years. People will flock to Wii U with the additions of a new zelda, metroid, mario, and smash brothers, etc. But since they're not doing that yet, and NOT doing the marketing aside from a few Nintendo Directs with vague and far-off promises, all we have to judge the Wii U by is a handful of watered down ports and the hardware potential. It doesn't all spell DOOM to me, but if you're judging the Wii U as it stands (which is all we CAN do as consumers), then it doesn't look good.
---
Playing: Mass Effect Trilogy (PS3), Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS), Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita)
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#39trenkenPosted 3/21/2013 7:39:32 AM
jbhens posted...
trenken posted...

You're talking about something entirely different. The U is ALREADY not selling well. What happens when the PS4 comes out and people see a jump in quality? They will get excited and want it. This is the exact thing that happens every single gen and is the primary reason why new consoles are released. Power. You want to deny that? Why was the SNES ever made then? Because the games looked better and that excites people.

You're making excuses for this thing that you spend $300+ on. I spent that money too and I think its weak. The games dont look at good as my 4 year old Dell XPS. They really dont. You guys are acting like power isnt important because you're trying to justify your purchase. I dont miss the money I spent on it so I couldnt really care less.

Noone said the U will flop out of the industry like the Dreamcast. I believe no matter how poor it sells that it will stick around the entire gen. The Gamecube flopped, that thing only sold like 30 million units which is abysmal, but it didnt go away.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#40darkjedilinkPosted 3/21/2013 7:41:04 AM
FF_Fiend posted...
The online isn't fluid and there are a lack of games BECAUSE of the console power.

I'm assuming you said the same thing at the respective launches of the PS3 and 360, since their online systems had major issues and there was a lack of games on both consoles this early in their life cycles.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie