Since when has console power been so important?

#41jbhens(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 7:43:10 AM
FF_Fiend posted...
jbhens posted...
FF_Fiend posted...
I'm in no way a graphics-snob, but what you're talking about is console power. You're talking about more than just textures, details, and resolution. A console with greater power and virtual memory can literally create aspects of games that couldn't exist before. Animation and refresh rates, the amount of objects acting and reacting in a given space, NPC intelligence, ease of developing for a system, etc.

All in all, if a game doesn't approach photo-realism, increased power can affect the game's playability in a number of ways aside from visual influence. Also, if a developer is creating a game for next-gen consoles, what's the likelihood that they'll want to create a separate visually watered-down version for a console which has such a small install-base and such poor marketing? The problem for Nintendo this gen is, and always will be, 3rd party support.

Also, saying graphics don't matter is like saying "The type of camera a photographer/filmmaker uses isn't important." or "The kind of paint a painter uses doesn't matter." The technique and materials used in any form of artistic medium DO matter - it is these, combined with the artists vision and talent that form the final composition. Saying they don't matter is ignorant.

And again, when has console power ever won a console war? There are fair arguments about the lack of games on the Wii U, how the online isn't as fluid as Xbox Live, or how they aren't even advertising the thing. But, saying the Wii U is going to be ad a disadvantage because the PS4 is more powerful is not an argument.

Well there you go. I offer an intelligent and thought out answer, and you shield your eyes with your fanboy goggles. I don't know why I post on here. After all, you just answered your own question. The online isn't fluid and there are a lack of games BECAUSE of the console power. You can't have big hit multi platform 3rd party software without console power. Because the third party won't support it like they will the other platforms.

I'm not saying Nintendo can't support its console with the proper AAA 1st party software that has grown their brand over the years. People will flock to Wii U with the additions of a new zelda, metroid, mario, and smash brothers, etc. But since they're not doing that yet, and NOT doing the marketing aside from a few Nintendo Directs with vague and far-off promises, all we have to judge the Wii U by is a handful of watered down ports and the hardware potential. It doesn't all spell DOOM to me, but if you're judging the Wii U as it stands (which is all we CAN do as consumers), then it doesn't look good.

Again, when people complain about the power there is no evidence to support that the most powerful console wins the console war just because it's graphics are AWESOME! It can be a Wii Sports type game that propels you to huge sales. And the system is only 4 months old, if you were thinking you were going to be seeing Zelda, Mario, and Smash by now you haven't been paying attention. Of course, you will be seeing a new Mario at E3. Gurantee it will more then likely be better then any launch game that will be available on the PS4 even though it will have colorful graphics. Run for the hills.
#4240DribylfPosted 3/21/2013 7:45:19 AM
FF_Fiend is the only one speaking any sense itt
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#43jbhens(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 7:48:49 AM
trenken posted...
jbhens posted...
trenken posted...
If console power is unimportant to you, why arent you still playing NES games hmm? Surely there are still many great ones you never played.

Power is critical, its the primary reason why they keep releasing new consoles. People love visual stimulation. Once they get used to the current gens graphics, the companies make new machines.

When you look at most consoles, all theyve ever been is stronger versions of the previous one. Seems like since the U is weak that suddenly people think power is important. Whats going to happen when the PS4 comes out and the games destroy the U games? We're going to look at the U like its a last gen quality machine. And it will happen, look at the specs of the PS4, they are absolutely beastly and far beyond whats in the U. In fact you cannot even build a high end gaming PC with those specs, so there is going to be a large gap in graphics quality between the PS4 and the U. Possibly not right at first, but give it a year or so and the U games will look very dated.

Thats a big problem when the U is already not selling well, and the PS4 and 720 arent even out yet!!

Again please show me in the 30 years of home consoles that the most powerful system won and the weakest system failed because it couldn't handle ports from the most powerful console. I'm still waiting to see where this logic is coming from...

You're talking about something entirely different. The U is ALREADY not selling well. What happens when the PS4 comes out and people see a jump in quality? They will get excited and want it. This is the exact thing that happens every single gen and is the primary reason why new consoles are released. Power. You want to deny that? Why was the SNES ever made then? Because the games looked better and that excites people.

You're making excuses for this thing that you spend $300+ on. I spent that money too and I think its weak. The games dont look at good as my 4 year old Dell XPS. They really dont. You guys are acting like power isnt important because you're trying to justify your purchase. I dont miss the money I spent on it so I couldnt really care less.

Noone said the U will flop out of the industry like the Dreamcast. I believe no matter how poor it sells that it will stick around the entire gen. The Gamecube flopped, that thing only sold like 30 million units which is abysmal, but it didnt go away.

The Wii came out next to the PS3 and Xbox 360 and looked pathetic graphic wise yet it flourished. All it takes is one piece of software. The PS2 was getting Dreamcast ports that looked and played better on the Dreamcast yet it dominated from day 1. The Master System looked much better then the NES graphics wise but people didn't care. The SNES didn't blow the Genesis away graphically yet it overtook it in the long run. Seems to me it's the games, not systems power, that will ultimately make a system a success.
#44meiyukiPosted 3/21/2013 7:51:31 AM(edited)
trenken posted...

You're talking about something entirely different. The U is ALREADY not selling well. What happens when the PS4 comes out and people see a jump in quality? They will get excited and want it. This is the exact thing that happens every single gen and is the primary reason why new consoles are released. Power. You want to deny that? Why was the SNES ever made then? Because the games looked better and that excites people.

You're making excuses for this thing that you spend $300+ on. I spent that money too and I think its weak. The games dont look at good as my 4 year old Dell XPS. They really dont. You guys are acting like power isnt important because you're trying to justify your purchase. I dont miss the money I spent on it so I couldnt really care less.

Remember when the 3ds sales were slow and as soon as the vita was released people would see better quality and it'd be the end of nintendo's portable division?

You asked why people don't play nes games anymore, um they do. Lots of the kickstarters and indie games don't have great graphics, and arn't fully using all the power even last gen systems. Yet many of these games are selling great.

Again though it proves the point when I ask why do you even game on a console? If power is so important why do you even game on a console? You can't say the games because that proves power is not nearly as important as games and that lower power games can be great fun. Which is exactly the point people are making when they say power doesn't matter. The power gamers are hypocrites, they claim power is so important, attack others for buying lower powered systems, and then turn around do the exact same thing, using the exact same justification for themselves buying low powered systems.

FF_Fiend is the only one speaking any sense itt

Really, insulting people the moment they offer any kind of rebuttal is talking sense?
#45anon_firePosted 3/21/2013 8:13:19 AM
jbhens posted...
trenken posted...
jbhens posted...
trenken posted...
If console power is unimportant to you, why arent you still playing NES games hmm? Surely there are still many great ones you never played.

Power is critical, its the primary reason why they keep releasing new consoles. People love visual stimulation. Once they get used to the current gens graphics, the companies make new machines.

When you look at most consoles, all theyve ever been is stronger versions of the previous one. Seems like since the U is weak that suddenly people think power is important. Whats going to happen when the PS4 comes out and the games destroy the U games? We're going to look at the U like its a last gen quality machine. And it will happen, look at the specs of the PS4, they are absolutely beastly and far beyond whats in the U. In fact you cannot even build a high end gaming PC with those specs, so there is going to be a large gap in graphics quality between the PS4 and the U. Possibly not right at first, but give it a year or so and the U games will look very dated.

Thats a big problem when the U is already not selling well, and the PS4 and 720 arent even out yet!!

Again please show me in the 30 years of home consoles that the most powerful system won and the weakest system failed because it couldn't handle ports from the most powerful console. I'm still waiting to see where this logic is coming from...

Noone said the U will flop out of the industry like the Dreamcast. I believe no matter how poor it sells that it will stick around the entire gen. The Gamecube flopped, that thing only sold like 30 million units which is abysmal, but it didnt go away.

The Wii came out next to the PS3 and Xbox 360 and looked pathetic graphic wise yet it flourished. All it takes is one piece of software. The PS2 was getting Dreamcast ports that looked and played better on the Dreamcast yet it dominated from day 1. The Master System looked much better then the NES graphics wise but people didn't care. The SNES didn't blow the Genesis away graphically yet it overtook it in the long run. Seems to me it's the games, not systems power, that will ultimately make a system a success.

This is exactly what people nowadays continue to ignore. It's always been about the games, not about the hardware.
---
NNID: alaz21
#46EarthLord_CJPosted 3/21/2013 8:20:17 AM
Pretty sure TC's not necessarily advocating that hardware power (and, by extension of that, graphical capabilities on a console) isn't something useless or should be ignored. Heck, if he did have no appreciation of graphical prowess, he would have said so when he was talking about Down Under.
He's also asked a fairly reasonable request, that being that people provide evidence contrary to his claim that high-power consoles are not needed to win a 'console war'.

We've got enough uncivil topics on this board as is. >___>'
---
http://i.imgur.com/qgqVy.jpg
"Don't wanna know...where the sinners go..."
#47jbhens(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 8:21:57 AM
EarthLord_CJ posted...
Pretty sure TC's not necessarily advocating that hardware power (and, by extension of that, graphical capabilities on a console) isn't something useless or should be ignored. Heck, if he did have no appreciation of graphical prowess, he would have said so when he was talking about Down Under.
He's also asked a fairly reasonable request, that being that people provide evidence contrary to his claim that high-power consoles are not needed to win a 'console war'.

Hey, someone that can read. Thanks man.
#48meiyukiPosted 3/21/2013 8:32:32 AM
EarthLord_CJ posted...

This is the way it always is, this topic gets done to death and the power crowd can never respond with anything more than "why do you buy new consoles then." They know exactly what's being said, it's been explained multiple times and so at this point they're purposely not getting it. That's why I say it's not genuine.
#49JackalPosted 3/21/2013 8:33:45 AM
Since gaming media started the Console Wars.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#50ShankspearePosted 3/21/2013 9:00:59 AM
Any hobby is going to have a spectrum of casual to dedicated consumers. The former is pretty much always significantly larger than the latter. Most of the time, the casual fanbase doesn't want to invest a significant amount of money into said hobby. This means they will usually go for the more affordable options. If they didn't buy those options the industry would become two small to sustain itself. There are people out there, a large majority, who simply do not care about games going the extra mile in detail and aesthetics. No need to be upset by them or the affordable options they choose. Am I not a film maker because I use digital cameras? It is a poor musician which blames his instrument.