Unofficial Wii U price cut 'not working', UK retailers claim

#11domranguayPosted 3/21/2013 9:07:15 AM
We don't get Monster Hunter and Need for Speed until tomorrow and we've got to wait another week for Lego City. They should help a little.
#12Ambassador_KongPosted 3/21/2013 9:12:12 AM
England is in the grip of a triple dip recession and at the mercy of a government that continues to embrace austerity regardless of the fact that it hasn't helped and it isn't going to help.

No one is going to spend money on a new system when they are worried about how to pay for food, shelter, and clothing.

If you want to know why gaming sales are terrible in England, there's your answer.
---
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi.
#13OtakuGameraPosted 3/21/2013 9:13:47 AM
It's not permanent, and it's only in the UK. It's a sale.

says the retailer
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#14jackorhoadsPosted 3/21/2013 9:16:57 AM
Remembrent posted...
Again:

1) Hardly any advertising
2) No games to sell the system

They really need #2 to help with #1. Price cuts will hardly matter, unless it's drastic.

True and true. I think alot of consumers think the tablet controller is a wii accessory...or they don't even know the wiiu is a new console....or they haven't even heard of it lol
---
Gamefaqs: Where 14 year olds make fun of 13 year olds for acting like 12 year olds
PSN: jacksonrr & Wiiu Nintendo Network ID: SonicKidd
#15Helmsly2008(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 9:17:40 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#16meiyukiPosted 3/21/2013 9:17:54 AM
Dynheart posted...
I said this in another thread. You can lower the Wii U to 50 bucks and it still wont help sales. People think the 3DS sold on the price cut alone. No.

Why do gamer's buy consoles. Games. Not specs (these help). Not price cuts (these only help push systems when you HAVE games). The 3DS' price cut came just before Nintendo's first big game push. On top of a price cut? Yea...it's going to sell. Then another price cut, and more games? It sold more. Now it's getting even more games, and it seems to have the prefect price point for now.

There's also another factor and that's that it's europe. Nintendo has traditionally done poorly in europe. If I'm remembering right both the nes and snes were beaten in europe by the sega consoles, I forgot how the wii did and don't feel like looking it up. It's kind of like the 360 in japan, where you just can't sell it. It's entirely possible it may not sell no matter what they do.
#17EoinPosted 3/21/2013 9:23:27 AM(edited)
meiyuki posted...
There's also another factor and that's that it's europe. Nintendo has traditionally done poorly in europe. If I'm remembering right both the nes and snes were beaten in europe by the sega consoles, I forgot how the wii did and don't feel like looking it up. It's kind of like the 360 in japan, where you just can't sell it. It's entirely possible it may not sell no matter what they do.

You're correct about the NES and the SNES, and the N64 and GameCube did very poorly in Europe as well, but that's not an excuse for the Wii U. The GBA and DS sold extremely well in Europe and the Wii was the best-selling console in Europe last generation. It's nothing at all like the 360 in Japan. In fact, Wii U European sales, as poor as they very clearly are, are already about one third of the Xbox 360's total lifetime Japanese sales.
#18meiyukiPosted 3/21/2013 9:25:36 AM
Eoin posted...
meiyuki posted...

You're correct about the NES and the SNES, and the N64 and GameCube did very poorly in Europe as well, but that's not an excuse for the Wii U. The GBA and DS sold extremely well in Europe and the Wii was the best-selling console in Europe last generation. It's nothing at all like the 360 in Japan. In fact, Wii U European sales, as poor as they very clearly are, are already about one third of the Xbox 360's total lifetime Japanese sales.

Well I didn't mean it was to the same extreme as the 360, just that europe is really a weird market for nintendo and sometimes they just can't sell their consoles there.
#19Helmsly2008(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 9:27:16 AM
meiyuki posted...
Dynheart posted...
I said this in another thread. You can lower the Wii U to 50 bucks and it still wont help sales. People think the 3DS sold on the price cut alone. No.

Why do gamer's buy consoles. Games. Not specs (these help). Not price cuts (these only help push systems when you HAVE games). The 3DS' price cut came just before Nintendo's first big game push. On top of a price cut? Yea...it's going to sell. Then another price cut, and more games? It sold more. Now it's getting even more games, and it seems to have the prefect price point for now.

The Wii and the DS did very well in the UK so you would think Nintendo have a higher profile here now, plus the Wii U using the Wii name should of carried some of that consoles interest over to this one. Outside of software, I think the lack of advertising seems to be the major issue. I'm in the uk and I've not seen a single Wii U commercial since last year.
#20JackalPosted 3/21/2013 9:32:49 AM
There are people out there that probably still don't know that this is a new system and not some Wii add-on.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz