Unofficial Wii U price cut 'not working', UK retailers claim

#61shaunmePosted 3/22/2013 3:02:11 AM
mostcorrupt posted...
Helmsly2008 posted...

... plus the Wii U using the Wii name should of carried some of that consoles interest over to this one. .

I think the Wii name is a huge part of the problem. I am guessing a large part of the people that Nintendo was catering to for the last 7 years has no clue the wii u is a whole new console.

finally somebody who understands! the name wii u is a massive blow to sales, i dont care how unoriginal it is but it should have been called wii 2, instant brand recoginition AND it shows it is new.
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb ram // 3x MSI GTX 680 sli // 1tb HD//W8pro//NNID shaunme1//PSN poselecta//XBL CursiveA//STEAM shaunmelwell//
#62Helmsly2008(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 7:25:11 AM
mostcorrupt posted...
Helmsly2008 posted...

... plus the Wii U using the Wii name should of carried some of that consoles interest over to this one. .

I think the Wii name is a huge part of the problem. I am guessing a large part of the people that Nintendo was catering to for the last 7 years has no clue the wii u is a whole new console.

you're probably right, there definitely is brand confusing going because of the name.
#63ThePCElitistPosted 3/22/2013 7:30:01 AM
This exact SAME THING happened with the 3DS during its first year. Nothing new folks!
---
i5-2500k Hyper212+ @ 4.6Ghz, ASRock z77 extreme4, 16 GB DDR3 RipJaws X, MSI GTX 680 2GB Lightning
#64nonexistingheroPosted 3/22/2013 7:39:47 AM
ThePCElitist posted...
This exact SAME THING happened with the 3DS during its first year. Nothing new folks!

The problem here is that the Wii U is a more expensive home console. The 3DS was pretty much phasing out the DS, which most certainly helped. Even the price point was similar for a while (3DS for $170, DS XL for $190-$180 and DS regular for $150-$130). Yeah it wasn't at first, but it started selling after the drop.

For the Wii U... the Wii didn't have any steam any more by the time it launched. The Wii sales had already slowed down to a crawl with almost no games for it coming out anymore. And then Nintendo comes up with a much more expensive console on the market. So outside of the name confusion, there's that too.

Anyhow, I do think Nintendo could use someone that is more logical when thinking of console names and for the marketing. I'm sure that almost everyone who was at the press conference face-palmed when the 3DS was revealed as the 3DS and it's the same for the Wii U. Anyone would've seen the name confusion problems coming from miles away. Yes, it's good to try and evoke a sense of familiarity, that doesn't mean that you want people to think your new console is just a new version of the old console.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#65pearl arowanaPosted 3/22/2013 8:14:47 AM
wii u already as ancient as ps3 and 360 they day it dot launch.. that the sad truth
wii u power just of par with 8 years old console.

i dont think people will buy wii u ever.. when ps3 and 360 games selection and online services look far better... unless they priced wii u lower than ps3 and 360.. then it might work
---
Drones Topic Derailing guidelines ..(rofl)
1) insult nick name 2) insult user level 3) Insult English and grammar
#66emagdnEPosted 3/22/2013 10:16:19 AM
a poor economy is not going to kill video game sales, if anything, some jobless might splurge on a console so they have something to do between having their applications rejected, something to ease the pain of an uncertain future

.....afterall, PS3 and 360 are doing fine in UK

sorry NDF, your "but, but, the economy!" excuse won't fly
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#67Ambassador_KongPosted 3/22/2013 10:58:02 AM
pearl arowana posted...
wii u already as ancient as ps3 and 360 they day it dot launch.. that the sad truth
wii u power just of par with 8 years old console.

i dont think people will buy wii u ever.. when ps3 and 360 games selection and online services look far better... unless they priced wii u lower than ps3 and 360.. then it might work

Please, go outside, enjoy the fresh air, get a girlfriend. All the time you spend in your mom's basement eating Doritos has made you a very angry and unpleasant person. What kind of normal person would spend hours a day trolling the forum of a system they aren't interested in and have nothing to say? The answer is, no normal person. Only a pathetic loser with no social life and no friends would put this much effort into spewing bile about something they don't like. So, do yourself a favor, brush those cheesy crumbs off your bare torso, have a shower, and go out in the real world and try interacting with real humans. But, whatever you do, don't act the way you do around here in public. Being an insufferable a** is sure to get you in trouble.
---
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi.
#68Helmsly2008(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 6:55:39 PM(edited)
Nintendo are meeting retailers in the uk to calm fears over this. I'm Pretty sure company's don't do something like that over a sale. They also wouldn't be doing this if the economy is to blame:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nintendo-moves-to-calm-wii-u-fears-as-unofficial-price-cuts-fail/0112855
#69Xeeh_BitzPosted 3/22/2013 6:59:00 PM
darkjedilink posted...
STE573 posted...
darkjedilink posted...
A sale isn't an "unofficial price cut."

It's a sale.

A perminent sale across several unrelated retailers then? Call it what you want. The Wii U is 50/40 cheaper and will be for the forseeable future.

It's not permanent, and it's only in the UK. It's a sale.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2013/03/gadget-review-daily-deals-50-off-wii-u-console-macbook-air-13-899.html

$50 off Wii U @ BestBuy

http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/19/4123952/target-offering-50-gift-card-this-week-with-wii-u-purchase

So yeah, it's obviously a sale but WHY is a lot of major retailers knocking $50 off ?

and that's in the United States not the UK
---
KidInTheHall posted "Hell I even overclocked my refrigerator, now it's a freezer."