I was at the store and saw some parents trying to decide between a Wii and Wii U

#31TerotrousPosted 3/22/2013 7:47:02 AM
Terrible salesmanship. Sales 101 is that the best product for any given customer is the most expensive one.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#32pokemonfreak97Posted 3/22/2013 7:53:34 AM
STE573 posted...
icarus231 posted...
STE573 posted...
They made a smart choice, why pay twice as much for a smaller library and less overall quality as of now if it's only for children?

Technically it has a larger library thanks to BC

Haha, good point, I wasn't thinking about that tbh, but then again the Wii could play Gamecube games, if you find any these days haha.

Any Wii sold in stores can no longer play GameCube games. Stupid, but true.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#33darknight06Posted 3/22/2013 7:58:52 AM
Right now, they'd be better off with a Wii until Nintendo starts acting like they want to sell consoles to the masses again.
---
3DS Friend code: 4081-5501-8308
#34_Sovereign_Posted 3/22/2013 8:33:04 AM
overkillwfo1978 posted...
HaRRy_TiPPeR_ posted...
Those kids are not gonna be happy. lol.

Why wouldn't they be happy? Its a gift, they didn't earn it. They should be happy for what they have, much like everyone else.

That was a great story from fantasy land, but back here in the real world, kids want the best thing out there and are disappointed when they don't get it.

In the real world, I make the money and my kid is happy with what I buy her. There is nothing wrong with giving big gifts on birthdays, holidays, or big occasions like with my childhood, that always meant something, but kids these days ( or rather the parents) are just so absorbed in everything technical that they fail to see the world beyond Facebook. It's sad really. Every time I see a kid with his head down in a tablet or phone I just shake my head at the parent, and usually my kid is with me, excited about what she's seeing around her, rather than on the internet.

And yes, I let my child play video games, she loves mario and zelda games, but she doesn't own any device, she takes great care of what she handles, and she only plays for a limited time ( she's 4, afterall). In the real world, she may throw a tantrum if she doesn't get her way, but it doesn't last more than 2 minutes and then she's back to being happy with what she has.
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#35Sharky8Posted 3/22/2013 8:38:37 AM
Solnot trolls vintage systems and he trolls the Wii U? How pathetic.

Have you seen the nonsense this guy has posted? He doesn't even know that all Wiis come packaged with a Wiimote and that most bundles also come with a nunchuck. He was complaining about having to spend $80 to have complete controller functionality, completely missing the point that the only thing left to buy would be a classic controller.
#36overkillwfo1978Posted 3/22/2013 1:53:55 PM
_Sovereign_ posted...
HaRRy_TiPPeR_ posted...
Those kids are not gonna be happy. lol.

Why wouldn't they be happy? Its a gift, they didn't earn it. They should be happy for what they have, much like everyone else.

That was a great story from fantasy land, but back here in the real world, kids want the best thing out there and are disappointed when they don't get it.

In the real world, I make the money and my kid is happy with what I buy her.

( she's 4, afterall).

uh. Yeah. 4 year olds are happy with anything. Wait about 3-5 more years. She will start to have these things we all eventually end up with called "preferences" and while she may not go crazy when she is disappointed with not getting what she wants, she will be disappointed none the less.

Buying a last generation system is generally not something any kid wants... they may not tell you they are disappointed but they will be, unless they specifically tell you they want it for some reason. I am 34 and wanted an NES badly in 1986. I was 8 years old. I made sure when Christmas came around that 1) I was as good of a kid as my delinquent *** could possibly be and 2) that my dad knew EXACTLY what to pick up when he went to the store. If he would have came home with a 2600 I would have been devastated.

I'm glad you currently have the one perfect child in this world that loves everything equally and has no preference towards anything.. but I'm afraid, if history proves well, that you just haven't waited long enough yet. Give it a few years and get back to me.
---
But the PS4 has GDDR5 RAM. That's 2 more than DDR3! I bet PCs will take at least 5 years to catch up to this beast.
- SUPER3METROIDX
#37KurizakaPosted 3/22/2013 2:02:11 PM
Final Fantasy2389 posted...
People saying it was a smart choice must have forgotten the Wii U is backwards compatible with Wii games, thus giving them an even bigger library overall and a system they'll be able to use longer than the Wii in the long run without having to buy a new system.

That's why I always suggest for people to buy a 3DS over a normal DS these days, even if I personally hate how blurry DS games look on a 3DS.

Exactly. It'll be cheaper in the long run to just buy a Wii U because of this. If I was at that store, I would have offered my advice up if they wanted it.
#38bskiffingtonPosted 3/22/2013 2:03:34 PM
You know, all of those games could still be played on the Wii U...
#39overkillwfo1978Posted 3/22/2013 2:08:27 PM
bskiffington posted...
You know, all of those games could still be played on the Wii U...

This has been said several times here. We know. The main point, to me, is that one system is a lot cheaper than the other. That was part of the decision making process. Of course if they were both the same price, the parents would have gone with the Wii U, but that was not the case.
---
But the PS4 has GDDR5 RAM. That's 2 more than DDR3! I bet PCs will take at least 5 years to catch up to this beast.
- SUPER3METROIDX
#40DruidMettoolPosted 3/22/2013 3:25:29 PM
Simple: The Wii U has "Super Nintendo Syndrome", in which the predecessor was insanely popular and people don't want to spend the money to "upgrade". The same thing happened with the SNES and the NES, which is why gaming eventually became a closet hobby for the next 10-15 years.

The sales associate actually made his job easier by selling the customer on the Wii. I have worked in an electronics department, and it is almost impossible to convince people to buy a Wii U. They cite things like:

"My Wii works just fine"
"The Wii is cheaper and there's more games"
"Nintendo's trying to get more money out of us"
"I just bought a Wii last year, my kids aren't getting a new system already."
"There's no bowling game" (No joke)

Honestly, until there's a killer app for casuals, the Wii U will continue to flounder.