Wii U sales so poor retailers considering scaling back support

#1xChaosLordxPosted 3/22/2013 3:52:18 PM
http://www.geek.com/articles/games/wii-u-sales-so-poor-retailers-considering-scaling-back-support-20130322/

----------------------------------------
Weíve known for months now that sales of the Wii U have been pretty terrible. Figures for US sales in January totaled just 59,000 units. February saw that figure improve only slightly to 64,000 units. Thatís in stark contrast to the launch in November and subsequent sales of 890,000 consoles before the end of 2012.

Since then retailers have been grumbling that the Wii U just isnít selling. In the UK, several retailers even implemented an unofficial price cut. But not even that has worked, and now Nintendo has been put on the defensive.

Game retailers are currently considering scaling back support for the Wii U, which would translate to giving it less shelf space in stores and less promotion both online and through in-store advertising. If that happened it would come as a major blow to Nintendo turning things around before the launch of the PS4 and Xbox 720 later this year.
----------------------------------------

More in the link above.

Basically they can't even get rid of Wii-U even when they're on sale. That is a complete disaster for a brand new console. Wii-U is going to go down in history as Nintendo's worst fail since the Virtual Boy.
#2Baha05Posted 3/22/2013 3:53:10 PM
Of course you can't sell it when it's on sale because you have little to support the sale with.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#3xChaosLordx(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 3:55:15 PM
Baha05 posted...
Of course you can't sell it when it's on sale because you have little to support the sale with.

What is hurting the Wii-U is most people don't even know it exists. And when they find out it exists, they look and see which games are out for it, and aren't impressed with the lineup so they forget about the system. The specs of the system aren't doing it any favors as a selling point either. They can't even say its a more powerful system than PS3/360.
#4Baha05Posted 3/22/2013 3:57:07 PM
xChaosLordx posted...
What is hurting the Wii-U is most people don't even know it exists. And when they find out it exists, they look and see which games are out for it, and aren't impressed with the lineup so they forget about the system. The specs of the system aren't doing it any favors as a selling point either. They can't even say its a more powerful system than PS3/360.

Maybe for casuals, all it takes is Nintendo to fix advertisement and word of mouth.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#5xChaosLordx(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 3:57:24 PM
Instead of looking at the Wii-U from "monthly sales", because its doing so bad in that department. Monthly "fails" is a truer statement.
#6SlimeSwayzePosted 3/22/2013 3:57:45 PM
Obviously anecdotal, but I did notice that my local Gamestop, Fred Meyer, and Target stores (Seattle area) had practically no space dedicated to the Wii U, almost like it was an afterthought.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#7Baha05Posted 3/22/2013 3:57:50 PM
xChaosLordx posted...
Instead of looking at the Wii-U from "monthly sales", because its doing so bad in that department. Monthly "fails" is a truer statement.

lol no
---
#8bossk5Posted 3/22/2013 3:58:01 PM
No wonder it's not selling well. Nintendo seems dead set against advertising this thing. Hell.... Just a few tv ads would help.
---
I buy used games.Pacers 3- whatever...I give up
#9xChaosLordx(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 3:58:37 PM
Baha05 posted...
xChaosLordx posted...

Maybe for casuals, all it takes is Nintendo to fix advertisement and word of mouth.

Nintendo is as casual as it gets. Its one of the reasons that the serious gamers don't even care about Wii-U.
#10xChaosLordx(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 4:01:13 PM
SlimeSwayze posted...
Obviously anecdotal, but I did notice that my local Gamestop, Fred Meyer, and Target stores (Seattle area) had practically no space dedicated to the Wii U, almost like it was an afterthought.

I went to gamestop the other day and asked where the Wii-U games where and the clerk jokingly said "Wii-who?". I chuckled. Then I inquired about his sarcasm. Turns out I was the first person in over a week to even come in and ask about Wii-U games, let alone buy one.