Wii U sales so poor retailers considering scaling back support

#71TomoEK9Posted 3/23/2013 12:27:32 PM
Emerald_Melios posted...
TomoEK9 posted...
Emerald_Melios posted...
TomoEK9 posted...
The Wii U is awful.

Casuals look at it, and don't see anything different than a Wii with a new controller, why would I spend that much money for a new controller when I already have a Wii.

Serious gamers look at it and think back to the Wii. Lack of third party support, forced gimmick controls, lack of features that are basic on the competition consoles, and a poor library of games.

On both fronts Nintendo has an uninterested consumer base. Nintendo needs a real game changer on the Wii U (more so than their touch screen controller) or else this will just tank.

They need more traditional RPGs, side-scrolling platformers, and other first-party games in general. Don't need any of the ultraviolent psychopath simulator games or casual shooter games; there's plenty of that on the other consoles. The Wii U just needs games to match the quality of its handheld counterpart, as well as predecessors like SNES, Wii, PS2, etc.

Now that I think about, maybe Nintendo should simply abandon home consoles entirely.....considering how demented and egotistical the console demographic has become with their unreasonable expectations. We can all thank Microsoft for ruining it with the influence of their interloping brand.

More first party is the last thing it needs. First-party was the Wii's only saving grace, and its definitely a strong point, so it doesn't need further support there.

It needs more 3rd party support, most Wii titles were poor ports from other consoles, and devs often poorly forced the motion controls into the game as if they had the logic of "its a Wii, we HAVE to use the motion controls as much as possible".

Unless the 3rd party support includes stuff like Atlus games, stealthy Metal Gear, or more traditional RPGs (e.g. turn-based), I can't see how it would interest me. I don't want to play the toxic dudebro games that dominate the other consoles.

The fact thats all you think other consoles have tells me you have no idea what you are talkng about.

Nintendo doesn't produce those games either, nor do the handful of devs who do support them.

There are plenty of games on other consoles that the Wii could benefit from, but because everyone views the Wii as toxic to their sales, they don't even want to bother touching it.
#72Emerald_MeliosPosted 3/23/2013 12:46:05 PM(edited)
TomoEK9 posted...
The fact thats all you think other consoles have tells me you have no idea what you are talkng about.

Nintendo doesn't produce those games either, nor do the handful of devs who do support them.

There are plenty of games on other consoles that the Wii could benefit from, but because everyone views the Wii as toxic to their sales, they don't even want to bother touching it.

The fact remains, I don't care about those photorealistic shooter games like CoD or Killzone or violent manchild simulators like GTA or God of War.; it just fuels my belief that Y chromosomes are a genetic disease.

I'll be honest: I always hated the Xbox/Xbox 360 brand. From the very beginning, it felt like a patronizing hybridization of PC and consoles, and was unwilling to go near it. I hold it responsible for the deterioration of both PC and console gaming. And that's why I'm glad there were some damning information about Durango's policies; I sincerely wish for Microsoft (and not Sony or Nintendo) to go the way of Sega and drop out of console hardware market.
#73MelkacPosted 3/23/2013 2:46:36 PM
xChaosLordx posted...
Instead of looking at the Wii-U from "monthly sales", because its doing so bad in that department. Monthly "fails" is a truer statement.

Wow, you're so clever for a 9 years old...
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA
#74G1ingyPosted 3/23/2013 2:48:21 PM
xChaosLordx posted...

Nintendo is as casual as it gets. Its one of the reasons that the serious gamers don't even care about Wii-U.

"serious gamers"

...dude it's just a game...
#75JKatarnPosted 3/23/2013 3:00:05 PM
Once they release 2/3 solid first party games I imagine the sales will pick up. As it is, there's really not a whole lot to entice the core gamer (especially if you own a 360/PS3 or gaming PC, which most/all dedicated gamers will have), and with the exception of maybe Nintendoland and Zombie-U the Gamepad hasn't really demonstrated its utility. I'm optimistic we'll see some Nintendo magic in the coming years.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#76JKatarnPosted 3/23/2013 3:01:47 PM
xChaosLordx posted...
Nintendo is casual because they have changed their target audience to younger kids and even to non-gamers with stuff like Wii fit.

None of the Nintendo flagship games are particularly challenging by average gaming standards.

The last Nintendo console anyone could remotely make an argument for being "hardcore" was the SNES. Challenge without the grind basically. Complete opposite of most modern games.

In fairness the difficulty of modern games (on "normal" difficulty anyway) in general has fallen off due to gaming going mainstream.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#77AkaneJonesPosted 3/23/2013 4:51:16 PM
Emerald_Melios posted...
TomoEK9 posted...
Emerald_Melios posted...
TomoEK9 posted...
The Wii U is awful.

Casuals look at it, and don't see anything different than a Wii with a new controller, why would I spend that much money for a new controller when I already have a Wii.

Serious gamers look at it and think back to the Wii. Lack of third party support, forced gimmick controls, lack of features that are basic on the competition consoles, and a poor library of games.

On both fronts Nintendo has an uninterested consumer base. Nintendo needs a real game changer on the Wii U (more so than their touch screen controller) or else this will just tank.

They need more traditional RPGs, side-scrolling platformers, and other first-party games in general. Don't need any of the ultraviolent psychopath simulator games or casual shooter games; there's plenty of that on the other consoles. The Wii U just needs games to match the quality of its handheld counterpart, as well as predecessors like SNES, Wii, PS2, etc.

Now that I think about, maybe Nintendo should simply abandon home consoles entirely.....considering how demented and egotistical the console demographic has become with their unreasonable expectations. We can all thank Microsoft for ruining it with the influence of their interloping brand.

More first party is the last thing it needs. First-party was the Wii's only saving grace, and its definitely a strong point, so it doesn't need further support there.

It needs more 3rd party support, most Wii titles were poor ports from other consoles, and devs often poorly forced the motion controls into the game as if they had the logic of "its a Wii, we HAVE to use the motion controls as much as possible".

Unless the 3rd party support includes stuff like Atlus games, stealthy Metal Gear, or more traditional RPGs (e.g. turn-based), I can't see how it would interest me. I don't want to play the toxic dudebro games that dominate the other consoles.

That's the thing Nintendo needs 3rd Party support of things PS3 games were clamoring for. It need's things like Ni no Kuni, Tales of Xillia, Disgaea, Dark Souls, Metal Gear Rising, Persona 5(even if that hasn't happened), Atelier games, Dead or Alive 5, FInal Fantasy X HD, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD, Yakuza, or Valkyria Chronicles. It doesn't need all those western shooters, action, & wRPGs who's audience is firmly entrenched on Xbox360 & PCs. Sure those would help, but only if the first base is covered.

I think it's the misnomer of western games dominated this gen that lead to this. People forget there were practically no traditional western games on DS and that was the best selling gaming device this past gen. Guess what it had those game or ones very much like it. Gaming tastes didn't magically change, they were forced into going handheld. That Xbox360 boon of western games is mostly PC gamers now on consoles so the gaming media now looks at the seriously. The gaming media acted like PC games didn't exist in the PS2 era.
#78TheBonfiniPosted 3/23/2013 4:59:01 PM
Considering? Businesses consider things all the time.

All Nintendo has to say is if you pull Wii-U support we won't allow you to sell our handhelds.

That would shut them up in a hurry.

It honestly seems like Nintendo is being greatly affected by the propaganda spewed by the large American publishers. As if they have a right to say how a machine should be selling to be graced with their games on it.

i never buy the crap that a game isn't worth producing for the Wii-U. They are mostly ports, so why is this such an investment for their devs?

If porting a game to the Wii-U is suicide and loses money for the devs than the industry as a whole is precarious state.

Just how much are these developers commanding salary wise?

Based upon the engines available to build games, it should be fairly easy to recruit talent for 50k./year. Of course, I don't even understand binary language.

Seems the CEOs just want to cash in millions in bonuses and stock options and let their employees do all the back breaking work for next to nothing.

I wish the 99% succeeded in toppling these feudal corps. It is disgusting how so many CEO's make 100 times their best programmers wages just because they fit the mould of a business tycoon. I might cut my hair for that kind of cash too, i suppose.

There will be another industry crash at the rate developers are telling console manufacturers what to do. So sickening. Remember when developers were grateful for companies like Nintendo and Sony and MS for offering the canvass for which to create their art?
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#79MegagunstarmanPosted 3/23/2013 5:07:14 PM
haha these trolls are so desperate they just make stuff up rather than have facts. lol

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/cbyms

exposed
---
I'm not changing this until a new Jet Set Radio is announced. Started 10/13/11
#80DaMan1900Posted 3/23/2013 5:57:32 PM
JKatarn posted...
Once they release 2/3 solid first party games I imagine the sales will pick up. As it is, there's really not a whole lot to entice the core gamer (especially if you own a 360/PS3 or gaming PC, which most/all dedicated gamers will have), and with the exception of maybe Nintendoland and Zombie-U the Gamepad hasn't really demonstrated its utility. I'm optimistic we'll see some Nintendo magic in the coming years.

2/3 first party titles didnt save the n64 or gcn. The success of the wii was its motion controls. The wii u has not caught the attention of the general public so i dont see the wii u selling much...
---
Ex Sony Fanboy