I still don't see what was so great about the Ducktales game.

#11STN79(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 12:02:36 PM(edited)
I probably didn't play this much as a kid because even then i had no patience. I think i rented it once and got sick of having to start over. I was like screw this i'm playin Mario. Same reason i didn't get into Contra until years later. I hated having such a small margin for error and so few lives. Games like that used to turn me off real quick. Heck maybe i will set a goal to beat Ducktales before the remake comes out.
#12jsb0714Posted 3/23/2013 12:00:51 PM
TC's loss.
---
"There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not." -Someone who came up with this
#13ChipChippersonPosted 3/23/2013 12:20:01 PM
Muintir posted...
honestly it was one of the easier games back then. Just goes to show how casualized games have become over the years.

I've got to agree, this was a fairly easy game. It got to the point where I was routinely able to beat it without losing lives.
---
As long as you're in my house, you'll do what I do, and believe what I believe. So butter your bacon... and bacon up that sausage, boy.
#14STN79(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 12:30:41 PM
If you guys think recent games have become so casual maybe that's because you haven't played many. The modern era has plenty games that will kick your ass. Maybe i didn't find Ducktales easy for the simple reason that i didn't spend my childhood playing it constantly.
#15knightimexPosted 3/23/2013 12:33:46 PM
I tried playing this game again today.

It's hard now....

LOL

I don't remember games being this hard back then.
crazy.

*cracks knuckles*
Les go!
---
Old School Games FTW!
#16knightimexPosted 3/23/2013 12:35:55 PM(edited)
STN79 posted...
If you guys think recent games have become so casual maybe that's because you haven't played many. The modern era has plenty games that will kick your ass. Maybe i didn't find Ducktales easy for the simple reason that i didn't spend my childhood playing it constantly.

Find me a current generation game that's as hard has Street Fighter 2010
---
Old School Games FTW!
#17cavebear56Posted 3/23/2013 12:44:30 PM
Iokua posted...
It's a game from the 80s, things were tough back then. That was part of the fun.

This.

It's called a challenge. Back in those days narratives in games hadn't reached the level they have today. So the gameplay and challenge was what kept many playing them.

In a sense they were one way a developer could extend the life of a game.

STN79 posted...

Such as and please don't insult anyone by saying Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Sure they echo somewhat from the "old days" but are nothing more than a game of patience and trial and error. Similar but it's more of a facade of difficulty rather than actually being difficult (in other words they aren't like the older games).

Vanquish has the potential to be challenging if you want to be a perfectionist. Otherwise you could easily get through the game suffering "rank" losses. Bayonetta was the same.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy games today just as I do the games from the 70's, 80's, 90's and early 2000's and could care less about you or anyone else labeling things as casual or hardcore. It's just I actually do understand what is so great about games back then and games today (unlike you from your post), and it's that they're great in different ways.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#18STN79(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 12:48:56 PM
Bayonetta
Mordern Ninja Gaiden series
Mega man 9
Demon's souls
Shinobi 3DS
Donkey kong country returns
F-zero GX okay it's ten years old but still DAMN!
Super Meat boy
Devil May cry series

Just to name a few.