How much faster can the WiiU OS be? Not much

#1ORANGE666Posted 3/23/2013 1:03:15 PM
Right now, it takes 30 seconds to load up a settings menu
1:06 to load the WiiU menu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXDq3b4QpcQ

I really doubt that Nintendo screwed up so bad they could optimize from 30 seconds to 3 seconds and 1:06 to 6 seconds.

The point of this topic? Nintendo says they're fixing the OS but I don't see it getting that much faster. Maybe 20%, but if they can manage to get it much faster, there's something wrong at Nintendo.
#2_Sovereign_Posted 3/23/2013 1:05:19 PM
I don't see how an improvement=bad

Maybe if they go from bad to worse ( like 360 dashboard), then yes, but improving on something that really doesn't need to be fixed? Sounds great to me!
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#3DiscostewSMPosted 3/23/2013 1:08:21 PM
Are these "optimized" numbers based on what existing consoles can do, or are these numbers you pulled out of your ass just so you can say Nintendo isn't capable of optimizing the OS to make it fast?
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#4the_cajun88Posted 3/23/2013 1:10:06 PM
The Wii U loading times definitely need to be fixed.
---
The University of Tennessee Alumni
http://i40.tinypic.com/10p3kmw.jpg
#5ORANGE666(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 1:14:11 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
Are these "optimized" numbers based on what existing consoles can do, or are these numbers you pulled out of your ass just so you can say Nintendo isn't capable of optimizing the OS to make it fast?

If you re-read what I said, Nintendo would have to screw up badly with their initial OS if they can optimize it to be that much faster.

Nintendo isn't that imcompetant, which is why I see the upcoming OS update not making the speed much faster. If they did, there should be questions raised on why the initial OS was so poorly coded
#6DiscostewSMPosted 3/23/2013 1:25:04 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
DiscostewSM posted...

If you re-read what I said, Nintendo would have to screw up badly with their initial OS if they can optimize it to be that much faster.

Nintendo isn't that imcompetant, which is why I see the upcoming OS update not making the speed much faster. If they did, there should be questions raised on why the initial OS was so poorly coded

But you are making the assumption that they could possibly optimize it to go that fast if it was meant to be that way, which is why I asked about how you got those numbers. If the other consoles can operate that quickly, then I'd agree with you that Nintendo probably "rushed" the system OS just to get it up and running, which is why it is as slow as it is.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#7ORANGE666(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 1:27:49 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
ORANGE666 posted...
DiscostewSM posted...

But you are making the assumption that they could possibly optimize it to go that fast if it was meant to be that way, which is why I asked about how you got those numbers. If the other consoles can operate that quickly, then I'd agree with you that Nintendo probably "rushed" the system OS just to get it up and running, which is why it is as slow as it is.

Well they can operate that quickly. The Settings menu on the PS3 takes a second to load up.
#8GLDanzegoPosted 3/23/2013 1:30:40 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
DiscostewSM posted...

Should be questions? There already ARE questions.

There's no good reason for a front end to be running this slow. Whatever it is that's causing it needs to be taken care of. It can't be a hardware issue because, if it was that causing the system to not even run a simple UI efficiently, the thing wouldn't be able to play games.

It may be so deep so as to require a complete reprogramming of the OS, but it CAN be redone to run properly. The only question is whether Nintendo is going to address it or not.

--
#9tizzywilkillyouPosted 3/23/2013 1:31:43 PM
It all depends on WHY it's so slow in the first place. If it's a multitude of security checks every time an app is launched, they could potentially blow over 90% of that away. Not saying that's the case, but it's a possibility. After how hacked up the Wii got, it's entirely possible that made them gun shy.