Third party developers

#1its_mattPosted 3/24/2013 12:39:08 AM(edited)
SNES was the last format where Nintendo enjoyed a wealth of third party developed games. I suppose a certain Sony format coming along may have had something to do with that and I suppose Microsoft have just exacerbated the problem. I think if Wii had not somehow fluked a massive success with the casuals then Nintendo would be doing a Sega by now and it is not entirely unlikely that they won't in the future. Nintendo need to stay cutting edge in video games hardware technology as well as in their brilliant games or they will simply become increasingly irrelevant.
#2its_matt(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 1:48:04 AM
bump
#3ChipChippersonPosted 3/24/2013 3:41:44 AM
As long as they turn a profit on their consoles and keep development budgets under control they'll be fine. We'll see how development goes this coming gen, there are plenty of devs who can't afford $50+ million development budgets. I think the U may become a haven for smaller and middle tier developers.

People need to stop putting Nintendo and Sega in the same sentence when talking about current issues. Sega had exactly one piece of hardware that did well, the Genesis, and they filled the last decade of their existence with godawful and bizarre business decisions i.e. surprise console launches, that drove them into the poorhouse. Nintendo is sitting on a boatload of cash and while the U isn't currently setting the world on fire, it didn't launch with the impact of a wet fart at a funeral like 95% of Sega's consoles did. Sega's situation has about as much relevance here and now as Atari's.
---
As long as you're in my house, you'll do what I do, and believe what I believe. So butter your bacon... and bacon up that sausage, boy.
#4its_matt(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 6:08:54 AM
I give one reference to Sega for a quick way to refer to a company that would go from Making Consoles and games to just Making games because they could not keep up with the competition and I get a response only to that. My point was clearly that Nintendo will become irrelevant if they don't keep up with hardware and will go the way of Sega not that they are like Sega.
#5thundercat2600Posted 3/24/2013 6:13:08 AM
ChipChipperson posted...
As long as they turn a profit on their consoles and keep development budgets under control they'll be fine. We'll see how development goes this coming gen, there are plenty of devs who can't afford $50+ million development budgets. I think the U may become a haven for smaller and middle tier developers.

I think they're far more likely to flock to XBLA, PSN, and Steam. You know, like they're already doing.
---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink
#6its_matt(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 6:57:39 AM(edited)
Also just because a piece of gaming hardware is the most advanced doesn't mean every developer will have to release high budget games. Even the most high end PC now can run a game that looks like it was made for an 8bit computer there is room in a consoles gaming line up for all levels of budget of games unless the hardware is under powered. This is the reason Wii missed so many games that 3rd parties only developed for Xbox360, PS3 and PC and things will just repeat like this as long as Nintendo releases under powered hardware. This time though I don't think the casuals are coming to make all the Units shift and who is left? There are some people who will buy every gaming format going but there are most gamers that don't, they probably own a Xbox 360 or a PS3 if they own a console now. Are they really going to buy a WiiU? When most of the 3rd party games are ones their current console will run, no, they will wait for the next gen. I think Nintendo games are great, their home console hardware isn't though, not since the GameCube.