The Dreamcast was home to some of the best games and it did poorly...

#41GAMER_X_REVIVALPosted 3/24/2013 3:18:42 PM
Kolanifv posted...
sonicsonic posted...
GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...
, the wii was 99% shovelware ,

The 360 has a 100% failure rate. Prove my fake facts wrong.

Eventually, it does.

Way to be butthurt about the reality of the Wii

Go find me a list of every wii game released, and lets do the math. It was nothing but shovelware with about 15 AAA solid games in its entire lifetime and pretty much all of them were first party.

And for the record 360 had the highest failure rate for a console in history. At one point it was over 60%, and thats just people that reported it and participated in polls about it. No doubt if we included people that are poor with money that just went out and bought another not reporting it or sending it in, that number would probably be closer to 80% at the peak of its hardware failure period. I didn't buy a 360 for a reason. The hardware is cheaply made garbage, plus it had no real exclusives worth a damn
---
Guardian Gamer X
"CE's verbal cruelty is only matched by an eight-armed robot beating multiple baby seals."-PursuitandTie
#42Traptin3daysPosted 3/24/2013 3:24:22 PM
Kolanifv posted...
sonicsonic posted...
, the wii was 99% shovelware ,

The 360 has a 100% failure rate. Prove my fake facts wrong.

Eventually, it does.

Way to be butthurt about the reality of the Wii

Go find me a list of every wii game released, and lets do the math. It was nothing but shovelware with about 15 AAA solid games in its entire lifetime and pretty much all of them were first party.

And for the record 360 had the highest failure rate for a console in history. At one point it was over 60%, and thats just people that reported it and participated in polls about it. No doubt if we included people that are poor with money that just went out and bought another not reporting it or sending it in, that number would probably be closer to 80% at the peak of its hardware failure period. I didn't buy a 360 for a reason. The hardware is cheaply made garbage, plus it had no real exclusives worth a damn

This is an objective person and this board needs more of those. Thank you for this post!

(And no, I am not sarcastic this time)
---
Now let's sacrifice some chickens! :D
#43akuma634Posted 3/24/2013 5:05:52 PM
IMO the problem with Dreamcast is that it came out a year early which helped but a year later it was totally outclassed. Plus there was no DVD player or any other features that would have helped it stay relevant. The Wii is a bit more powerful than current gen consoles but the focus is on what the Wii U can do as opposed to graphics power. It's a question of if Wii U can get decent 3rd party support. The next gen consoles are going to be a marginal improvement, my PC is already more powerful than the PS4 but I'll still get a PS4 because of exclusives. I have a Wii U because it does things that other consoles can't do.
#44TrixonePosted 3/24/2013 5:17:36 PM(edited)
excitebike64 posted...
excitebike64 posted...
I never felt the Dreamcast had the best games, but it was a great console for fighters. The great games for the most part got canned right before it failed.

Perhaps knowing that most of those "great" games later went to other consoles is why I don't see it that way today. But not playing a dreamcast is not a big deal.

Anyone thats played the dreamcast version of MVC2 and then the ps2 version knows you're wrong lol

If a game was on dreamcast and then on another platform, the dreamcast version always performed better, had sharper textures, and loaded WAY faster

The only game I can think of that was on dreamcast and then on another platform where it looked better on the other platform was PSO, but that was an upgraded port with some extra water effects. And i'm pretty sure it was after dreamcast died so its anybodies guess if that water effect would of been doable on dc or not.

Dreamcast was amazingly good, if you didn't have one you missed out big time. It had a ton of great games and every multiplat that was on it was the best version period

What about DoA2 on PS2? And what about MVC2 on Xbox???
I seriously see no loss to the typical gamer concerning the Dreamcast.
The Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube combined seems to take care of the majority of the games.

What about them? For 3d games dreamcast had the best ram and thus the best textures, and dreamcast games loaded faster than ps2 or xbox games so it had the superior version of MVC2

Like I said, if you see no loss, its because you missed out on the dreamcast and don't know what you missed out on. The system was nothing but amazing arcade ports and lots of other great games. It had excellent 1st and 3rd party support.

^This guy right here, you deserve a tip of the hat
*tips hat*

The DC also had an amazing arcade stick, I just remember the green buttons and ball.
---
PS3 60 RIP | Slim | Vaio VGN-FE | Deneb AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE OC'd
Playing: SSFIV:AE, DS - Samurai of Legend
#45SolisPosted 3/24/2013 5:57:35 PM
silverbullt posted...
jbhens posted...
MC_Brian1 posted...
Wait, is someone saying that the DC had the best graphics

...what

Some games looked better on the Dreamcast, yes. Anyone remember Grandia 2 on the PS2? Dreamcast version was much better. Sadly, we never got to see what the Dreamcast could truly do. But seeing as how amazing games looked on it in such a short period of time, it's fair to say it could easily hold up with the PS2/Gamcube/Xbox

Well DC games ran AA techniques from the beginning. meanwhile, it wasn't until much later that PS2 devs figured out how to apply AA to their games.

This article explains why DC games looked better than PS2 games for the first 3 years or so.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2000/07/01/ps2-aliased-no-more

No Dreamcast games that I can think of used AA. They just ran at a full 640x480 resolution, whereas PS2 games typically ran much lower. Early PS2 games like Ico ran as low as 512x224, while even major titles such as MGS2, MGS3, and the God of War games ran at 512x448, well below Dreamcast standards. The use of antialiasing in PS2 games was just a bandaid to try and lessen the affect that the lower native resolution had on image quality, a lack of antialiasing wasn't the reason for the jaggy appearance to begin with.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#46googlerPosted 3/24/2013 8:20:11 PM
DaLastBoss posted...
Why would it be different for the Wii U?

it is totally different, because as you said - Dreamcast actually had good games...
#47harvestmoonmikePosted 3/24/2013 10:59:40 PM
Best games? Like what? Power Stone?

Alright, there's Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 1&2, Soul Caliber, Shenmue... umm, Seaman?

It's just, even though they're all great for Sega's standards, and much better than what they churned out for the Saturn, they still don't come anywhere close to the franchise games that Nintendo releases... Mario is always going to do well, so is Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon, and better than any Sega franchise could hope for. Nintendo can live off of these franchises for decades, much more than Sega ever could.
---
My SSB4 roster prediction/wishlist: generous: http://i.imgur.com/TfnNN.jpg
reduced: http://i.imgur.com/JSxGG.jpg
#48RagnarokxvPosted 3/25/2013 12:20:34 AM
The Dreamcast gets better games than the Wii U. I'm talking about NOW. Yes new Dreamcast games are still coming out, amazing I know. . This is 13 years after its initial release.

Despite being discontinued early the Dreamcast has an excellent library, very arcade oriented, and has near cult status.
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
#49squatch22Posted 3/25/2013 12:26:48 AM
DDP886 posted...
HungoverHero777 posted...
Because unlike Sega, Nintendo hasn't released a bunch of failed peripherals/consoles (32X, Saturn) and they aren't in the financial hole.

(Hmm.. maybe I'll screen-cap this comment so I already have my answer when the next inevitable one of these topics shows up.)

yes they are, nintendos been in the red for four five years now

Joke comment?
---
Nintendo: Leading the way for others to follow.
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#50Darkside_ShadowPosted 3/25/2013 2:14:24 AM
I bought a Dreamcast at launch. But my friends were all like "teh Playstation2 omgz must wait for that"
Imo the Dreamcast was superior but nobody cared because they only knew the Ps1.

---
I learned everything I needed to know about human behavior from Battlefield 1942. On an aircarft carrier just outside Wake Island. TK!