Why do Digital Download games cost as much as the physical retail versions???

#11XenoFFvsPosted 3/26/2013 4:32:52 AM
the_tic_begins posted...
Because people are happy to pay it /topic closed.
Seriously, why do some people defend ddl, Nintendo, Sony nor Microsoft are never going to offer the deals steam do.
I like to own my games so I buy hardcopy only

I can't speak for microsoft but sony has games/add ons on sale every week.
---
Brawl Code:4639-9502-2693_Razor
PSN ID: xXAnTeRXx
#12thundercat2600Posted 3/26/2013 4:35:25 AM
The obvious reason is because they don't want to piss off retailers.
---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink
#13The_Shadow_LinkPosted 3/26/2013 4:42:38 AM
Steams got this right, not only did I get Bioshock Infinite for 30, (12 cheaper than what stores were selling it for), but I also got a Digital Copy of the Original Bioshock, and a Digital Copy of XCOM Enemy Unknown free with it too. (And some TF2 items, which is nice I suppose)
---
Wanting to become a wolf to end all of my life's problems.
People who agree with me: 37, Comment about it if you agree. ~*Ancient Status*~
#14Redfield_67Posted 3/26/2013 4:53:51 AM
It's because of fair trading...If they were massively undercutting the retail stores, the majority of people would download and retail places would go out of business, more people would lose jobs etc, etc.
#15crowe_1Posted 3/26/2013 4:56:37 AM
There also wouldn't be any markup on digital purchases due to retail or wholesale.

It's a crock. I never buy digital what I can get a hard copy of. Virtual Console aside, but that's a little different because SNES carts don't fit in a Wii/U.
---
My SSBM combo vids:
http://www.youtube.com/user/crowe1
#16sonicsonicPosted 3/26/2013 4:58:43 AM
the_tic_begins posted...
Because people are happy to pay it /topic closed.
Seriously, why do some people defend ddl, Nintendo, Sony nor Microsoft are never going to offer the deals steam do.
I like to own my games so I buy hardcopy only

This pretty much. Was playing on Steam long before I was checking out the PSN and other stores. Steam just puts them all too shame. Unbelievable value for money !
#17digiblasterPosted 3/26/2013 4:59:41 AM
Redfield_67 posted...
It's because of fair trading...If they were massively undercutting the retail stores, the majority of people would download and retail places would go out of business, more people would lose jobs etc, etc.

This is a good point, something I'd not considered before.

Please bear in mind though, that while they won't have to cover costs of manufacturing and materials, they need to cover the costs of servers. I don't know much about that side of things, but I can't imagine it's cheap to host 22Gb games for millions of people to download.
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#18simondakingPosted 3/26/2013 5:01:44 AM
thundercat2600 posted...

I think this is the main reason.
#19wingo84Posted 3/26/2013 5:03:00 AM
Better question: Why in the UK is the eShop more expensive than retail? ZombiU and ACIII are in a sale for 30 now but the full eShop price is 54.99.... Insane!
---
NNID - Wingo84
Currently doing nothing
#2040DribylfPosted 3/26/2013 5:10:44 AM

---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990