Like it or not the industry is in trouble

#1ShankspearePosted 3/26/2013 5:04:01 AM
http://www.thestreet.com/story/11879409/1/mortal-kombat-time-for-the-video-console-game-industry.html

I thought this was a nice change of pace in light of EA and Square Enix CEO's stepping down. Now Nintendo is making their blunders, but something is fishy in the state of Denmark. Now lets see how the usual suspects blame Nintendo for this too.
#2JackalPosted 3/26/2013 5:11:03 AM
It's Nintendo's fault! Now l'll go read that article.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#3DeathSoul2000Posted 3/26/2013 5:20:23 AM
i've been feeling this way for a while. i fear another crash may be imminent.
#4thundercat2600Posted 3/26/2013 5:23:17 AM
Bring it on. The gaming industry could use another crash.
---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink
#5rockyminPosted 3/26/2013 5:28:02 AM
thundercat2600 posted...
Bring it on. The gaming industry could use another crash.

My backlog is ready.
---
"you cant call it piracy if they wont sell it to you in the first place." -Fallenswords
FCs, PSN and Gamertag in profile
#6Rasputin77Posted 3/26/2013 5:28:36 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
i've been feeling this way for a while. i fear another crash may be imminent.

Same here... and from a purely selfish perspective, that's something I could deal with. It would give me a chance to catch up on my ridiculous multi-system backlog.
#7JackalPosted 3/26/2013 5:28:46 AM
Things are changing a lot and the tech prices drop so fast allowing for some great machines to be built but keeping up with the software side at decent dev cost is becoming a problem.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#8protect_badgersPosted 3/26/2013 5:29:26 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#9kingbadjoPosted 3/26/2013 5:45:49 AM
This is dumb. If anything the video game industry is growing. We just had a videogame museum open up in DC a while ago. Now videogames are so into our culture my grand parents know about them (as apposed as back in the gameboy days where they thought it was some fancy calculator).

Also there graph shows a huge decline in videogames prices when the economy went to hell.
---
I don't need violent videogames to reassure myself that I'm an adult.
#10MichaelDeAngeloPosted 3/26/2013 5:51:02 AM
If the industry is in trouble, it isn't in nearly as much trouble as the early 80s. Consoles might have a hard time for the next year or two, but handhelds will strengthen, mobile gaming is stronger than ever, and the flash gaming community will prosper under the collective efforts of everyone who is able to make an indie game.

This "crash" people keep talking about is going to be more of a recession.

The big problem is that the bigger companies keep pumping out these massively expensive titles and they don't see them as risks. The jump to HD was too big a leap, and many developers are finding that the ground they landed on isn't stable enough to support them.
---
Alundra is the best top-down Zelda game since Link to the Past.
Darksiders is the best 3D Zelda game since Ocarina of Time.